Lets see some Hinderer action

As long as we are on the topic of the sheepsfoot...

BGfQPpU.jpg

Question for you XM-18 Gen6 Non-Flipper owners..

I’m definitely biased towards flippers vs thumb studs, but those non flippers have great lines. And the Gen6 bearings change the game a bit I would assume.
How is the detent and action/deployment? I would imagine the detents are tuned specifically around the non-flipper. Are they pretty smooth? Definitely tempting as the Gen6 Spearpoints just hit en masse..

Question for you XM-18 Gen6 Non-Flipper owners..

I’m definitely biased towards flippers vs thumb studs, but those non flippers have great lines. And the Gen6 bearings change the game a bit I would assume.
How is the detent and action/deployment? I would imagine the detents are tuned specifically around the non-flipper. Are they pretty smooth? Definitely tempting as the Gen6 Spearpoints just hit en masse..

Rick Hinderer did a video on what you're asking about.

Good to hear the detent is made intentionally stronger. IMO non-flipper + light detent = accidents happen (precise reason why I've stayed away from non flipper hinderers by far).

Man, I don't know - I've spent the last while manually flipping my Gen6 XMs by their blade stops and I'm not sure if I can pull the trigger on a non-flipper.
As Rick said, it's not exactly optimal placement on the thumb stud/blade stop. Whereas other knives were built from the ground up with optimal thumb action in mind.
He sure didn't seem to have any issues in the video firing away though. It takes a bit of work to bust loose the detents on all 3 of my XM 3.5s by the blade stops.
If that's the amount of pressure it takes for a non-flipper *or more* I think I'll have to pass on these Beauties. :(
Unless I'm missing something and shouldn't be comparing an XM flipper in any way. Are the non-flipper detent holes somehow ramped?

Last edited:
Man, I don't know - I've spent the last while manually flipping my Gen6 XMs by their blade stops and I'm not sure if I can pull the trigger on a non-flipper.
As Rick said, it's not exactly optimal placement on the thumb stud/blade stop. Whereas other knives were built from the ground up with optimal thumb action in mind.
He sure didn't seem to have any issues in the video firing away though. It takes a bit of work to bust loose the detents on all 3 of my XM 3.5s by the blade stops.
If that's the amount of pressure it takes for a non-flipper *or more* I think I'll have to pass on these Beauties. :(
Unless I'm missing something and shouldn't be comparing an XM flipper in any way. Are the non-flipper detent holes somehow ramped?

Friend of mine just bought 2 gen6 non-flippers. He has changed one to bearings and one to bronze washers. Both open pretty easy without having the feeling that is going too easy. The detent is stronger but once you get it going, it flies open. The one on bearings was faster once you’ve pushed it but it wasn’t easier to open than the one on washers. My thumbs weren’t hurt opening, didn’t find the placement of the studs very awkward.

Reactions: KVT
Back