Lets see some Hinderer action

Does anyone know what angle the factory edge is? Whatever it is, my Lansky doesn't do that one.
rXZYqMy.jpg

Does anyone know what angle the factory edge is? Whatever it is, my Lansky doesn't do that one.
rXZYqMy.jpg

I ran into the same problem. It’s definitely greater than 20 per side. That’s what I started off with before I realized it. So I basically just reprofiled my xm to a ”Lansky” 20 degrees per side. The edge looked a bit wider but performance was noticeably better.

rXZYqMy.jpg
Decide on an angle, set up your clamp, check with a protractor, and reprofile that bad boy. I don't even bother trying to stick to factory angles, I just go to 15 dps.

I ran into the same problem. It’s definitely greater than 20 per side. That’s what I started off with before I realized it. So I basically just reprofiled my xm to a ”Lansky” 20 degrees per side. The edge looked a bit wider but performance was noticeably better.
Decide on an angle, set up your clamp, check with a protractor, and reprofile that bad boy. I don't even bother trying to stick to factory angles, I just go to 15 dps.
Yeah I generally try to stick to the factory angle, but that's not an option now. And with that stupid screw on the Lansky it's hard to go below 20.
Jay, did you do 20 degrees?

rXZYqMy.jpg

Yeah, on 3.5" XMs most of mine have been 22-24 degrees per side. They definitely could all use a reprofiling down to a better angle. Just depends on how much time you want to spend removing that steel. I've gone as low as 15, but usually I go for 18-20 these days, just to save time. I figure I an always take more steel away later, but I can never put any back.

Yeah, on 3.5" XMs most of mine have been 22-24 degrees per side. They definitely could all use a reprofiling down to a better angle. Just depends on how much time you want to spend removing that steel. I've gone as low as 15, but usually I go for 18-20 these days, just to save time. I figure I an always take more steel away later, but I can never put any back.
Will probably take some time, but at least I've got the Diamond stones. Thanks.

rXZYqMy.jpg

Most I've had come out of the box around 21 - 22 ... but the steels they use will handle 15 dps well ...

Most of mine are reprofiled to 15 dps ... with the exception of two knives ... they are at 17 dps and I did that to kind of experiment and compare the cutting performance and edge holding between the two angles ...

But if you prefer to keep close to the factory edge 20 dps shouldn't be far off ... shouldn't be a big job to hit that mark :thumbsup:

That site doesn't seem to be working, but the idea of switching to just a screw is great.

Yep, I just got a server error. Wonder what's up with it. I forgot the size set screws to use, but I can check later if the site doesn't come back. It really does help tremendously!

One year ago today, my first Hinderer (the XM-18 Bowie up top) arrived on my doorstep. I figured it was a good time to take a family picture of all of my Hinderers!

AnOts4g.jpg

There is a whole lot of awesome in this shot!

The Vintage XM-18s started my interest in Hinderer just a couple of months ago, but they were sold out before I could get one. When the Vintage Ranch Bowie hit the market recently, I grabbed one right away! No regrets, they’re nicer than pictures show.

View attachment 1155561

My absolute favorite look on a Full Track is this Battle Bronze with FDE. We only got one in that configuration and I wanted to keep it so bad. Love seeing it next to that Vintage Ranch Bowie. You are right, no matter how good the pic, it can not do the Ranch Bowie justice! You just have to put it in your hand.

Yep, I just got a server error. Wonder what's up with it. I forgot the size set screws to use, but I can check later if the site doesn't come back. It really does help tremendously!
Still down.

I don't doubt it! I'll probably take it with me to work tomorrow and see if we have screws that will fit.

Back