Lets See Some Pure Fighters

Recently I ran across an old favorite of mine, made by George Herron (who passed away in 2007), perhaps one of the ten top stock removal makers of all time, designing similarly to Bob Loveless, but with his own style. It's the only tactical knife design he ever made, 50 of them for LDC knives, now known as Robertson Custom Knives. Also the only bead blasted knife and the only knife he made with a canted guard. Some were marked "Herron" and some were marked "Herron 2000", since they were made during 1999 and 2000. Close to as perfect as one can get:

xlarge.jpg

xlarge.jpg

xlarge.jpg

xlarge.jpg

xlarge.jpg

Very clean Herron - I like the style

With some due diligence, I browsed through the thread. Many lovely takes on the subhilts, the Maringers, chute knives and even a few DeLeon. I am surprised (or missed) seeing no Steketee or Voorhis.

My fighters range from the mundane, such as a Tai Pan but my Randall 2-8 is enough knife to be utilitarian as well as a nice fighter. An old Effingham Blackjack subhilt now off to a happy home.

So that leaves me a DeLeon jungle fighter that is tank like. Once arrived, attacked a dense plastic display shelf and it went through several layers like a hungry beaver. A Treeman purchase and photo
AQKu5t6.jpg

On a different plane would be my Vince Evans gentleman's size (six inch blade) bowie for a waist band tucked away. Knife Art, the seller long ago.
KJMyXcx.jpg

More utilitarian but strong enough for play, a Kevin Cashen bowie from his Journeyman Smith years. Another Treeman photo. Sometimes comfort is everything and this one called to be cuddled and used.
Xy1sotB.jpg

A pair of Gilbreath folders. Dedicated fighters? I dunno. I carried one for some years as a user but never got in a fight. Chastised for a scary knife at work but most just being cool with it.
1mNaALf.jpg

Another bowie in stag labeled to Bone but by that time I believe it was Endino grinding and mounting. Here also with a camp knife and some Treestump leather.
rehuOBv.jpg

FOlj4MI.jpg

Then a perspective shot with a passle of other stuff. Including the 2-8 and Tai Pan (I still feel the Tai Pan one of the best modern production daggers).
bmkXA1z.jpg

Truly a treat to see some of those Maringers. I hope he is still alive and well. Haven't bumped into a post anywhere in a long time.

Cheers

GC

Last edited:
They will be available in limited runs. I just did 16 and they sold quick. Shoot me an email and maybe you can get one next time around;)

Back