Let's see your Camillus knives!

The tangstamp is Camillus Cutlery Co. Camillus N.Y. U.S.A. on four lines
(c. 1941-46 Goins)

Michael

One of the 1st knives I had was one of these. I lost mine along the way and was ever so grateful to receive it as a gift. This one is in the process of bring cleaned. TTYL
Larry

CamBSA.jpg

Nice one Larry! I had one like that a few...ok, many years ago.

Here is another Syracuse Knife Company Syracuse N.Y.

and a Clover Brand Syracuse USA

Adolph, Nathan, Sigmund, and August Kastor (?)

I really like finding examples of these oldies to go with the ads!

Michael

This one has a stamped metal shell handle. Originally, it was nickle plated and covered with black laquer. Mr. Levine was kind enough to teach me some history surrounding this knife. The DRP on the tang means Deutsches Reichspatent.

bernard_levine said:
...That Wadsworth knife is pre-1915. The abbreviation D R P probably is, too. The hollow stamped sheet metal pocketknife handle is definitely pre 1915, probably pre 1905...

BRL...

Being the Curious Codger I am, I asked him exactly how he determined pre-1915.

bernard_levine said:
...The 2nd German Reich (Empire) ended in 1918. German exports to the USA ended in the spring of 1915, when the British Royal Navy began its blockade of US East Coast ports... BRL...

Goins lists this mark, A. W. Wadsworth & Sons Germany DRP as 1905-1936, but I believe Mr. Levine's interpretation to be more accurate given his inclusion of German/USA history, so I believe it pays for a collector to take even the great works of John and Charlotte Goins with a grain of salt.

At any rate, in spite of this knife's rough state, I find it to be an interesting Kastor/Camillus import knife. This is why, to me, a knife need not be pristine to earn a place in my collection.

Michael

Here are a couple of mine.

2r79e13.jpg

A 4-line Champagne pattern.

2m2yngw.jpg

A small Office Knife pattern.

Hope the idea for a merger works out OK.

Bill

...a rougher version of codgers knife-lol

Still a worthy addition to any collection of early Camillus examples in my own opinion sir.

Bill, I hope so as well. I think it is fitting and workable, though we may wind up needing an actual moderator here (No! I am not volunteering! I have more than enough on my plate as it is!). What is the art on that office knife?

Michael

HA!

Pretty cagey of you Codger...forcing me to take a picture where someone might actually be able to see/read the artwork...:eek: :D

48f98om.jpg

Shaky and Dull by BILL

Great knives folks, I reall like the Butterfly Scissors Codger, now I gotta look through my boxes and see what I can come up with, I gotta have a couple somewhere.:D

I'll post some pics later.

Oh! Nice! A much more ornate version of the same text seen on the Schrade Cut Co version of that same pattern in the 1940 Catalog No. 40! And yep, on pages 23 and 76 of the Catalog E and Suppliments reprint too. I guess this was a quite popular small EDC back in the 1930's-1940's. Thanks for the close up Bill!

Oh, and you can change the population sign at the Aridzona border now. My daughter, husband and two kids just moved back here (literaly...here) to Tennessee. We'll see how well they handle the local weather this summer. We have more humility...er...humidity than you do. "Yeah, but it's a dry heat!"

Michael

Well Michael,

I hope all works out OK.
We here in the desert are quite proud of our state bird, and it's ability to handle the DRY HEAT...

4gz2ka8.jpg

As you know, I'd never intentionally run off topic...:rolleyes: :eek: ...so, here are a couple of knives made by Camillus, on contract.

Top one for A. G. Russell...bottom one for MooreMaker...

496q24n.jpg

bILL

Bill, That strip right down the center of the back is what I use for inlay work on Camillus sheaths. (See, I stayed on topic).

Paul

Paul,

I believe that section is officially known as "Scorpihyde"...not sure of the final decision on spelling. :D

Let's see here.....

2qxvudj.jpg

(Sorry about that picture).

Bill

Dave,
Catskill Knife Co is a new one on me. It's always great to learn of a new Cutlery or tang stamp from the same area. Here are a few more from old to newer:
2i7qz3s.jpg
[/IMG]
Above is an easy open jack with the sword brand tang on front of the master and four line Camillus Cutlery on the back.

2q0isll.jpg
[/IMG]
This one's a smooth bone trapper #717, not sure of the age on this one but you don't find many in bone.

2a4yaag.jpg
[/IMG]
And of course this is the jigged bone 1988 NKCA knife, a real beast of a knife and built like a tank.

Sorry about the picture quality, I just figured I'd snap these pictures before I go to work, and of course I'm running late again!:grumpy: :D

Eric
How do you get the blades on those old knives so shiny and keep them that way?

Taking/organizing some pictures today, so here is another Camillus made knife...made for A.G. Russell's Collectors Club in 1973...

2ztaply.jpg

Bill

Ooooooh!! A knife with a knife shield with a knife on the shield! Please tell me there is not another on the tiny one? Sorta like an Escher painting!

You have good taste in knives Bill. Even if they are all f..f..f.olders.:)
Michael

nice daddy barlow Bill. I've got an older one myself. I've almost finished building a grandaddy barlow from scratch, just need to build the bolsters and scales.

A tiny Camillus Funny Folder, it says,"CAMILLUS HAS THE EDGE" on it.

Mr Levine, IIRC he said it was a Premium given away by the salesmen.

I also believe he said it was a contract knife made by,(I'm not positive but I think he said made by Schrade).

I'll have to go into the archive and dig the thread up.

camillusfunnyfolder.jpg

That is an odd ad knife!

Here is one of my personal favorite Camillus SFO knives, the serialized limited edition Sears Roebuck 100th Anniversary issue, same jigged bone pattern as the 1988 NKCA knife. I agree about the F&F, and the size!

It would appear obscene carried in the pocket!

Michael

Back