Let's see your favorite claw hammers

I may eventually have to do the same. But then again I use a framing hammer even if it's not called for. Why? Because why not?
I probably used Estwings for close to 10 years before I started having problems.
One of the old timers told me to switch to fiberglass and I was thinking it would not help probably but I was wrong.

I felt results almost immediately.
A framing type or rip hammer is a must for me.
I like to carry as little tools as possible and if I keep the claw filed I can use it to cut 2x4’s or notch plywood also.
Not pretty but it works.

I'd clean that left one up on a wire wheel, file it into a finish face, and maybe rehang it on a hickory handle ( I definitely would because it's my preference).
Whatever you do it can definitely he given a new lease on life.

Actually that hammer is still fine for general use.
The milled face is all worn away, the sides are a little peened over from striking with the sides, and there is a little bit of fiberglass that got chipped away.

The fiberglass handle looks to be epoxied in the head so it might actually be a bit difficult to replace with a wooden one.

It will go to shed duty or backup for my second belt.

Actually that hammer is still fine for general use.
The milled face is all worn away, the sides are a little peened over from striking with the sides, and there is a little bit of fiberglass that got chipped away.

The fiberglass handle looks to be epoxied in the head so it might actually be a bit difficult to replace with a wooden one.

It will go to shed duty or backup for my second belt.

All you gotta do is cut the handle off flush and it shouldn't be all that hard to knock the remainder out the top if you really wanted.

If it's still usable as is then of course the only motivation is a fun afternoon project.

20230919-094056.jpg

Here are some of mine.

A Miller Falls and a Plumb. both 20oz.

My favorite users are the Vaughn rigging axe and the California style hammers. The California framing hammers were born when the communists in California outlawed rigging axes, so folks started cutting the blades off of their hatchets and welding claws onto them. Bob Hart of Hart Hammers was the first to commercially offer California framers, I believe Bob passed away not long ago, rip. He sold the company long ago and I don't know how many times it's changed hands since he sold it, but they never got any better that's for sure.

A Hart trimmer, Vaughn rigging axe and a California framer with a very nice milled face still intact, I can't read the name but I believe it is also a Hart. It was at a pawn shop gorilla glued onto a axe handle when I found it. They practically give it to me thinking it couldn't be separated from the haft, it drove out easy as could be.

Here are some of mine.

A Miller Falls and a Plumb. both 20oz.

My favorite users are the Vaughn rigging axe and the California style hammers. The California framing hammers were born when the communists in California outlawed rigging axes, so folks started cutting the blades off of their hatchets and welding claws onto them. Bob Hart of Hart Hammers was the first to commercially offer California framers, I believe Bob passed away not long ago, rip. He sold the company long ago and I don't know how many times it's changed hands since he sold it, but they never got any better that's for sure.

A Hart trimmer, Vaughn rigging axe and a California framer with a very nice milled face still intact, I can't read the name but I believe it is also a Hart. It was at a pawn shop gorilla glued onto a axe handle when I found it. They practically give it to me thinking it couldn't be separated from the haft, it drove out easy as could be.

That one looks like an early HART framer to me.
My 1st hammer was an old 25oz HART " The Framer " 25oz that I found with some junk on the back patio as a kid which my dad let me have.
It's on a curved handle right now, but honestly I've come to realize straight handles are better and am going to eventually replace it.
I haven't used it in years because of the handle, every time I go to grab a hammer off the rack I find myself thinking the curved handle isn't right for what I'm doing and I grab a Vaughan.

That's pretty sharp, and now you got me looking at new Vaughns.
I see they have a limited edition 1 1/2 hammer. Surely that isn't 24oz is it? I confess to not owning a single bell faced hammer.
Ahh! I gotta have it.......ordered.

That's pretty sharp, and now you got me looking at new Vaughns.
I see they have a limited edition 1 1/2 hammer. Surely that isn't 24oz is it? I confess to not owning a single bell faced hammer.
Ahh! I gotta have it.......ordered.
I don't own one either, but I don't really like the way that style hammer looks and prefer a rip claw for use anyways.

I really like how they did these 150th Anniversary hammers with the very authentic looking reproduction labels and everything, they're probably one of the best looking vintage inspired special edition product I've ever seen a company do.
So many companies will just put a classic logo on a modern product or do a loose homage...etc, but being a family owned company with some good archives and such they did a great job.

I don't own one either, but I don't really like the way that style hammer looks and prefer a rip claw for use anyways.

I really like how they did these 150th Anniversary hammers with the very authentic looking reproduction labels and everything, they're probably one of the best looking vintage inspired special edition product I've ever seen a company do.
So many companies will just put a classic logo on a modern product or do a loose homage...etc, but being a family owned company with some good archives and such they did a great job.
Ya, the bell faces were the inexpensive options and if it is cast or rough finished it's a bell face (likely why I don't own any). I also like rip claws better. I know some guys wouldn't use them for finish work though claiming they were higher risk to scratch something. Probably a valid point.

Since I have been a customer for so many years the idea of a replica of the original appealed to me and I justified by not owning one. BTW that is the most money I have ever spent on a hammer (with the greatest restraint I'm not going to get on my soapbox about $200+ modern hammers). The price of the Vaughn probably isn't out of line and thankfully it's is still made here in the USA. The paper label is a nice touch, I think I will remove it and put it back on should I decide to no longer use the hammer.

I'm pretty excited to try out the Vaughan, it's the little things in life that make me happy. I will post some pics next week.

Who made those Bob? It's obviously not a cheap casting.
I have this undocumanted comment from a tool forum (http://www.sydnassloot.com?????):

"'Worth' was a brand name used by the large hardware firm of Bigelow & Dowse
of Boston in the 1925-45 time frame. Many of their tools were made for them
by Peck, Stow & Wilcox, and some apparently by Stanley."

If true, I wonder if PEXTO used the brand after Bigelow & Dowse.

TbX5TyS.jpg

Bob

Claw hammers:
Had a number of hammers, gifted many, sent some to the Philippines to family there, along with other vintage quality tools I refurbed. Below is what I have now aside from the handful at Mom's house for maintenance work there.
Smooth face:
ppXEaeg.jpg

Old Kelly/True Temper; my 20oz bench hammer; 16oz straight handle I really like; little 10oz for tacks, staples and picture hanging; Cheney and another 16oz Vaughn I have not really used yet.

Milled face:
NT17JM7.jpg

Craftsman I have had for many years, almost smooth now; my FAVORITE framer= US made Dalluge 14oz Titanium; 10oz that would likely be a fav but the handle is too thin, have yet to fix that; 23oz should I need to drive masonry nails.

Bill

My Dad established 3 business. Oil production, rental property & seasonal services (mow & plow)
His general manager, he allowed me to believe it was..me, was in reality Noah Gee. He carried a claw hammer on his belt, always. He claimed it was the most useful tool in the box.
From putting a well back on line to chicken cutlets, the same hammer was used. I miss both those guys.IMG_3474.jpeg

Claw hammers:
Had a number of hammers, gifted many, sent some to the Philippines to family there, along with other vintage quality tools I refurbed. Below is what I have now aside from the handful at Mom's house for maintenance work there.
Smooth face:
ppXEaeg.jpg

Old Kelly/True Temper; my 20oz bench hammer; 16oz straight handle I really like; little 10oz for tacks, staples and picture hanging; Cheney and another 16oz Vaughn I have not really used yet.

Milled face:
NT17JM7.jpg

Craftsman I have had for many years, almost smooth now; my FAVORITE framer= US made Dalluge 14oz Titanium; 10oz that would likely be a fav but the handle is too thin, have yet to fix that; 23oz should I need to drive masonry nails.

Bill
Nice bunch of hammers there. That Kelly Perfect is in real good condition.

Back