Let's see your favorite claw hammers

Thanks, Garry! I really like (actually prefer) the haft designed hammers. I bought that Hart Woody at my local lumber yard back in the 90's when they first came out; paid something like around $70 for it. I've abused the hell out of that 1. The Ruger Titanium was a super lightweight framing hammer that had a very aggressive corrugated head (would tear you up if you made a mistake), which took about a year of use to wear the face down to a completely smooth surface....so once in a great while I''ll use is for finish type work. That thing used to shoot weird sparks out occasionally when I used it for framing. I rarely use a hammer for driving nails anymore, beings I have every type/gauge of air framing/finish nail gun.
Thanks for the information I always wondered about them Woody's. I can see that it would eliminate nails chipping the haft with over strikes. Maybe one day I will get the opportunity to to check one out and see how it feels.

Them Rugers were the first titaniums I recall seeing and hearing the the sales spiel at the local lumber yard. The bosses pup bought one and I had a go with it but it didn't suit me. It was interesting you mentioning how sharp the faces were because the first ones were anything but sharp, they looked half worn out as new, shallow, dull, and not well defined. They must have got that figured out but by that time I was out of the trades.

This is a strange little hammer, anyone have any ideas what it might have been used for?

gAJYvTv.jpg

That isn’t the original handle, the original handle was strapped hence the cutouts on the head. It’s how I found it & it’s tight so I’ve left it be.

ciyjDgo.jpg

WEekc08.jpg

After having it over a year I finally worked out last night the place name & think I’ve got it!

G.WILLMS
HOHSCHEID. (Germany).

ORtfIte.jpg

The name doesn’t bring anything up on Google. 😕

This is a strange little hammer, anyone have any ideas what it might have been used for?

gAJYvTv.jpg

That isn’t the original handle, the original handle was strapped hence the cutouts on the head. It’s how I found it & it’s tight so I’ve left it be.

ciyjDgo.jpg

WEekc08.jpg

After having it over a year I finally worked out last night the place name & think I’ve got it!

G.WILLMS
HOHSCHEID. (Germany).

ORtfIte.jpg

The name doesn’t bring anything up on Google. 😕
It looks like a Cobblers claw hammer to me.

It looks like a Cobblers claw hammer to me.

Yes that sounds plausible. The only thing is "cobblers claw hammer" in Google doesn't bring up any images of claw hammers... I imagine this one had a shorter handle originally.
Funnily enough, a bit off topic but the old hammers that are nearly always referred to as Cobblers hammers are often "Blocking" hammers that were used for book binding. To be fair the Cobblers, Blocking & Leather workers hammers are pretty much interchangeable.

Yes that sounds plausible. The only thing is "cobblers claw hammer" in Google doesn't bring up any images of claw hammers...
I just looked it up and found some Ebay listings , but I couldn't find any actual evidence of these being a form of cobblers hammer so my guess was likely wrong.

A bunch of Fiskars (orange head) and Billnäs claw hammers from FDF surplus store:
DSC-1284.jpg

The blue one is a version I haven´t even seen before. It has the old small SA-in-square ("Suomen Armeija", Finnish Army) property stamp:
DSC-1287.jpg

DSC-1288.jpg
DSC-1286.jpg

Exceptionally big SA stamp on this one:
DSC-1289.jpg

And no, I will not use them any more;), my 16 oz Vaughans are for use and abuse.

The Little Mutt

Unwanted and unloved, a few years ago I adopted a small claw hammer without a manufacturer mark. It was given to me in a box of basically discarded "stuff". The handle was loose. I tried to tighten it without success. Made a new one out of a piece of Black Cherry from my property.
9C3ihHz.jpg

11.7 oz total
X0W2Ea6.jpg

Comparison with my 1 lb 5.8 oz. total weight Worth (https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/lets-see-your-favorite-claw-hammers.1738031/page-2#post-22241512) and a tack hammer
41wlhkE.jpg

Bob
Even though I'm a straight claw kind of guy, I can't hate that as a small finishing hammer.
It looks perfect for small carpentry projects, building a birdhouse or tool tote...etc.

Back