Let's see your Scout/Camp knives

Ulster Scout Knives are a favorite, and this one remains a safe Queen!! As near-MIB as it gets!!! The box is more worn than the knife!!:)View attachment 2531278View attachment 2531280
(Marks, dust etc. are all on my scanner!!) :rolleyes:
Very nice Charlie! I was able to find one of the c1925 models w/ a faint etch on it still... below is a link to my previous post of those pics. Does yours have any Dwight Divine stamps on the other blades/tools?

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/lets-see-your-scout-camp-knives.1463060/page-50#post-18224603

Currently working on cleaning up this Imperial Kamp-King
view

view

I like the older case camp/scout knives,I've handled one but never owned.wish they did more in bone,but it seems alot of camp/scout knives were done in delrin.,guess in case left in bottom of your boat over winter.

I like the older case camp/scout knives,I've handled one but never owned.wish they did more in bone,but it seems alot of camp/scout knives were done in delrin.,guess in case left in bottom of your boat over winter.
I "think" there is another, more practical reason Delrin was popular:

Cost.

Most "Scout Knives" were purchased by (or for) "kids" in the "Cub Scouts" to "Boy Scouts" age group.
At best (farm kids working the family farm excluded) all but the oldest might have a paper route and/or mow grass and shovel snow in the neighborhood, at least until their junior year of high school, when child labor laws allow a part time job, working up to 30 hours a week.
Farm kids working the family farm could (and the ones I knew, did) work 40 plus hours a week. They were/are exempt from said Child Labor laws when working on the family farm.

Real Bone (AKA: "Fake Delrin") costs more, smooth or jigged, dyed or not.

Surprising common woods were not used more often. 🤔

Delrin is very durable, is impervious to most things, and most importantly its a lot cheaper to make delrin handles than bone handles. You can make hundreds of them an hour once the machine is set up and running...

Back