Let's see your Traditional Case knives, old to new.

There's a bit of a story here... Several years ago I saw, somewhere (on line, no doubt), a picture of a Case swayback gent in blue bone with Wharncliffe blade, bomb shield, and threaded bolsters. I thought it was the most beautiful knife I had ever seen! Soon thereafter I went to a local hardware store and Case dealer hoping to find one. What I found was a swayback gent in burnt amber bone, so I bought it. Over time I acquired swayback gents in pocket worn old red bone and in dark red bone with CV steel. (That's the "new" red bone, not the "old" legacy red bone.) I also bought two swayback jacks in chestnut bone (obsessed, me?). I later traded one of the jacks for a 130th anniversary muskrat.
OK, there's a Case Platinum Dealer in northern Indiana. We stopped there once before while traveling, and on another trip we made plans to stop again. What should I find there but the entire family of blue bone bomb shield threaded bolster patterns. Finally a chance to get that swayback gent! Perhaps sanity prevailed, because I decided that I really didn't need a fifth swayback. That blue bone etc. still spoke loudly to me, though. I had never held a teardrop and didn't know if I'd like it, but I picked it up and it immediately appealed to me. As you can see, it followed me home!
The pen blade is small, robust, and very useful. The main, well, what is it? A spear? A drop point? I'm not sure, but it is a gorgeous, artistic, flowing shape with a nice swedge. Definitely another hit from TB!

53558797050_23b8835c6c_b.jpg

Looks like a version of the Zulu!!
Interesting! I had not noticed before, but comparing this blade with the tribal lock, they are very similar in overall shape (although different in size, obviously). I have a tribal lock that I bought at a knife event where Tony Bose was in attendance. I talked with Tony about the knife and he told me that they were going to call the tribal lock a Zulu, but that another company (Remington maybe, I don't recall) had a patent on the name. Sounds like "Zulu spear" is the right answer!

2 of my favorite Case patterns are the 6347 and the 6207. These are 2 recent pickups for me. The 6347 is from 1972 and is stainless. I couldn't resist because of the color of the red bone. This version of the 6207 with the wharncliffe secondary is my favorite, but it had some ugly pinkish bone. Some chocolate leather dye made it more to my liking.

20240301_064550.jpg
20240301_064644.jpg

Last edited:
New. Medium Jack in orange synthetic, Texas Jack in CS and jigged amber bone. Both are good F&F other than very toothy edges and the jigged bone is catching material and one spots catches skin. Will be working those things over the next few days. Patriot Kirinite Medium Jack is still on preorder.
original.jpg

Back