Lets talk GEC!

I completely understand you're not putting down the 38's, I'm just discussing this in interest of the lack of perceived buzz (good or bad).

You didn't need to add the caveat- I understand I'm discussing your opinion. I happen to think you might be a good gauge as a well informed enthusiast. Do you believe that these 38 'whittler' configured knives are niche by virtue of blade configuration? blade choice? or the name of the blade configuration? I personally would say an Urban Jack is a niche knife, but not a three bladed knife in a whittler configuration.

When I see the 38 English "Whittler", I see a medium-sized serviceable wharnecliff and two secondaries. Nothing niche except the name, which may falsely give the impression of dedicated purpose. Our resident expert wood-reducer Jiki Jiki uses a Dixie Stockman for some of his whittling.

I talk about this a lot because no one goes around saying "well I don't keep cattle, so I can't warrant getting that cattle knife" or, "I'm not a stockman, so I'm going to pass on that stockman", or "I won't get a Lady Leg because I happen to prefer Gentleman Legs", but folks see something called a whittler and based on the comments I think some of those folks convince themselves it's a knife suitable for one purpose.

Ironically niche here means, "denoting products, services, or interests that appeal to a small, specialized section of the population", which probably renders this discussion moot as that probably encompasses all GEC's... unless we're going two levels deep in 'niche'.

So, I’m understanding that your point is that to be considered a niche knife it must have a specific niche feature; say a bird hook on a birding knife? Therefore the “whittler” has the wharncliffe and you can expect a wharncliffe on it without seeing it, but add a bird hook to it and it becomes a niche bird whittler.

So, I’m understanding that your point is that to be considered a niche knife it must have a specific niche feature; say a bird hook on a birding knife? Therefore the “whittler” has the wharncliffe and you can expect a wharncliffe on it without seeing it, but add a bird hook to it and it becomes a niche bird whittler.

Hi Frank- I'd say a bird hook or comb would make something niche as far as a knife goes. A whittler is just a knife with three blades, one primary versus two secondaries, and the blade types aren't specific to the configuration. It's more like the #38 comes with a standard set of blades (any combo of: clip, wharnecliff, spey, sheepsfoot, etc), and the configuration is as we expect. If it came with a bottle opener, or perhaps even an awl I could be convinced it's a niche knife.

Had to finish up some painting on a couple of pieces this week. Looking to get some whittling/carving time in this weekend.

K2oSqJU.jpg

I was wondering if the 89 was going to be a true single blade as looking at some of the listing materials for older versions none really indicated the 2nd blade on them. I am interested either way myself though I was wondering about the acrylic can't say I am feeling it but we got 2 other options to hold on for.

I was wondering if the 89 was going to be a true single blade as looking at some of the listing materials for older versions none really indicated the 2nd blade on them. I am interested either way myself though I was wondering about the acrylic can't say I am feeling it but we got 2 other options to hold on for.

I have the same thoughts about it being a true single blade. On the production schedule they just have one blade listed for the #89. For me I am hoping it is the case haha!

Got to say the #89 coming up did not interest me one bit but the more I look at them the more I want one. I like the single spear point blade more than anything! That keyhole shield is way to good! Looking forward to seeing the other cover materials also!

Screenshot-20210409-170819-Chrome.jpg
I’m not sure if I’m digging the blade but the acrylic looks real nice.

The paint you do on these pieces turns these into such beautiful pieces of Americana, it's really a beautiful touch.

I like your knife my friend and I also greatly enjoy your carvings too .

Harry
Thank you gentlemen. It is my humble goal this weekend to carve one of these little guys with the 38 English Whittler only, none of my other little tools.

Jim

Got to say the #89 coming up did not interest me one bit but the more I look at them the more I want one. I like the single spear point blade more than anything! That keyhole shield is way to good! Looking forward to seeing the other cover materials also!

Screenshot-20210409-170819-Chrome.jpg
I like this acrylic a lot, looks great on this frame and with the keyhole shield, but appears a number of these have that weird seam running through them. I was hoping that was limited to an anomaly with the 85 Dead Skunk and was not going to be the new acrylic norm.

Back