Lets talk GEC!

This was initially posted in the GEC #73 Scout Trapper thread, but might be more of a general GEC question:
I bought a 2021 #73 Rosewood Trapper and a 2021 Remington Prospector Baby Bullet, both new. Both knives were supposed to be users / EDC, but both developed some horizontal blade play. The sketch shows the Remington Prospector as seen from the front: The blades and liners slipped against each other. This makes me think that maybe the pivot wasn't riveted tight enough in both cases.
The knives were not mistreated; the worst I did was using the spey blades for spreading cold butter on some buns.
I sold the knives with a large discount. Right now I'm eyeing another (older) GEC Trapper. But before I fork out some more money, I'd like to know, have I been just unlucky, or is this a known issue with GEC knives with two blades? (Like vertical blade play with the earlier backlock knives). I'm EDC rotating some #74 Mustangs and a #15 Urban Jack, and couldn't be more satisfied.
rowIGSY.png

Last edited:
This was initially posted in the GEC #73 Scout Trapper thread, but might be more of a general GEC question:
I bought a 2021 #73 Rosewood Trapper and a 2021 Remington Prospector Baby Bullet, both new. Both knives were supposed to be users / EDC, but both developed some horizontal blade play. The sketch shows the Remington Prospector as seen from the front: The blades and liners slipped against each other. This makes me think that maybe the pivot wasn't riveted tight enough in both cases.
The knives were not mistreated; the worst I did was using the spey blades for spreading cold butter on some buns.
I sold the knives with a large discount. Right now I'm eyeing another (older) GEC Trapper. But before I fork out some more money, I'd like to know, have I been just unlucky, or is this a known issue with GEC knives with two blades? (Like vertical blade play with the earlier backlock knives).
rowIGSY.png
Contact GEC they will lead you in the right direction and fix the knife I’m for ya.

Contact GEC they will lead you in the right direction and fix the knife I’m for ya.
I'm based in Germany. Considering the cost and paperwork of sending knives across the pond, I didn't bother. If the GEC-experts here should tell me that blade play isn't an issue with double bladed knives, then I'd try my luck on the other knife I've got my eyes on. If, on the other hand, blade play was a known issue, then I'd give it a break.

I’ve owned a handful of two blades knives from GEC. I have never had that issue. Sounds like you have a warranty problem. But if your location is an issue that’s understandable. But if you really like the knife I would try my luck at contacting GEC and seeing what they can do. I guess the blade play is up to the owner and what they are willing to put up with.
I'm based in Germany. Considering the cost and paperwork of sending knives across the pond, I didn't bother. If the GEC-experts here should tell me that blade play isn't an issue with double bladed knives, then I'd try my luck on the other knife I've got my eyes on. If, on the other hand, blade play was a known issue, then I'd give it a break.

Last edited:
I sold the knives with a large discount. Right now I'm eyeing another (older) GEC Trapper. But before I fork out some more money, I'd like to know, have I been just unlucky, or is this a known issue with GEC knives with two blades? (Like vertical blade play with the earlier backlock knives). I'm EDC rotating some #74 Mustangs and a #15 Urban Jack, and couldn't be more satisfied.
rowIGSY.png

Nice sketch...... Did you see any ghosting of the pin ends on the bolsters?...... Were the knives used as fidget toys?

I'd lay the backside on a flat surface, tap the front to realign the assembly, then re-peen the pin followed by repolishing the bolster. ..

If goes out of alignment again, I'd send it back to GEC for repair....

I have a similar problem as you.
I received a brand spanking new 2AB Barlow with blade play from my GEC dealer. I did immediately contacted GEC though and their solution was that I either send the knife back to them from Europe. According to Joan Mae's calculation this will cost me a bit more than 40 USD (shipping only, they fix it for free) or I just accept that the knife is faulty.
I feel caught in a catch 22 sort off. If I keep the knife I will always be reminded of its defect irregardless of it will be a user or not. If I get it fixed the total costs of the knife will probably bug me too 🤣 (but probably the best solution..).

I guess the blade play is up to the owner and what they are willing to put up with.
This is absolutely true but outweighing the pro and cons before deciding is tedious 🤔 🥵 especially when I have had no experience with blade-play before now. I can't tell what should be tolerable and what shouldn't.

Last edited:
I thought of doing it myself JoKr JoKr but I am afraid that the pivots pin will protrude ever so slightly from the bolster and thus be visible... Anyone with experience, tips and tricks?

I thought of doing it myself JoKr JoKr but I am afraid that the pivots pin will protrude ever so slightly from the bolster and thus be visible... Anyone with experience, tips and tricks?

Get some fine emery boards (your wife uses them), or sandpaper and polishing compound..... Use progressively finer grits and polishing compound until the pins are flush and the bolster is to the sheen you want......

It's the same principle as sharpening the blade; progressively finer grits..... You can use Scotch Brites or whatever you have laying around...... You can even put polishing compound on your electric toothbrush....

Edit to add: If you feel uncomfortable with polishing the bolsters, any good jeweler that does repairs can do it for you...... Metalsmithing is right up their alley....

Last edited:
Try as I might, I have not been able to find anything about why the #65 is dubbed the "Ben Hogan." Could anyone provide some illumination on this? Thanks!

Try as I might, I have not been able to find anything about why the #65 is dubbed the "Ben Hogan." Could anyone provide some illumination on this? Thanks!
If you use the search function. In this forum you will have the answer in seconds.

If you use the search function. In this forum you will have the answer in seconds.
You're quite right. I had used the Google to no avail, but somehow neglected to run a search here. My bad -- apologies.

sorry to just jump in here, but, that is what you want, when you squeeze everything back together... a slight protrusion will allow you to peen it down, which flares it out to "seal" the pin hole, and tightens the assembly up. Once you have peened both sides to as tight as you want them, then simply file, or sandpaper down the top of the pin to be flush with the surface of the bolster...... then polish to whatever finish you desire.

edit: there are others on here with MUCH more experience than this layman, and they can probably explain it better than I did...

[MEDIA}

I'm not sure if I inserted the clip correctly; however, it is a one minute overview of the knife including who Ben Hogan was. Also, it was not the professional golfer.

Best regards,

Back