Lets talk GEC!

Guys, I am curious as to why is there no love for the single blade 38?

c9FNbAg.jpg

It has a sunken joint, comes in a wide variety of covers, features a slinky dogleg frame, a popular Turkish clip blade, and a smooth cam action without the nail breaker spring. It strikes me as odd because if GEC had made it as a half-whittler or full whittler, they would all have been snapped up by now. What is it about the single blade model that leaves most dogleg fans cold?

I actually kinda like the 38, but i think I would like it much more with a half stop.

I think it is an attractive frame/blade combo overall.

Reactions: HWF
If the 38 was a jack it would be fairly similar to a sw 236 such as this, which is a pattern I like. What is the length of the 38?

IMG_4656.JPG

Something about the lines of the 38 just don't do much for me, especially with a single blade. I think that may be called a wharncliffe frame, but I am unsure.

c9FNbAg.jpg

It has a sunken joint, comes in a wide variety of covers, features a slinky dogleg frame, a popular Turkish clip blade, and a smooth cam action without the nail breaker spring. It strikes me as odd because if GEC had made it as a half-whittler or full whittler, they would all have been snapped up by now. What is it about the single blade model that leaves most dogleg fans cold?

I had a Northwoods Willamette Whittler and kept thinking that with a clip blade it would have been perfect. The single bladed 38 joins a whole bunch of recent (ish) knifes that I would have bought without hesitating had there been a stainless option, especially if available in ebony, jigged bone, etc :) Namely the #18 Beagle, #14 Boys Knife, #38 special, #48 Weasel, #35 Churchill and #78 American Jack. So many great knives perfect for long term carry but 1095 just doesn't work for me any more.

c9FNbAg.jpg

For me it was the bone colors. Just did not excite me. I did grab an abalone though.

Though this might fall under the category of "first-world-problems", I do find myself a tad bit irritated that we don't tend to find out what the Bone colors are going to be until the knives are generally well into production. Since the upcoming small run of 56s aren't being produced with any sort of wood covers, I decided to step out of my comfort zone and set aside a couple, one in Tidioute bone and the other in Northfield bone. Red bone is my absolute favorite when it comes to color but there was no way of knowing since the colors are usually TBD.

Well, the Tidioute bone has been revealed, I can't say that I am too thrilled... I like the looks of the jigging and if they are coming with a shield, then it might be alright.

But still, Mustard?

pnsfHCl.jpg
Do they actually call it "Mustard", Dylan?
Maybe it ends up being the very popular "antique yellow jigged bone"
http://greateasterncutlery.net/blog...214-EC-antique-yellow-jigged-bone-650x423.jpg

- GT

Let's change the subject.

How is everyone liking those 2017 BF knives? GEC did an outstanding job in my opinion.
Good idea! The thread kind of drifted off topic a bit. If anyone wants to continue the stag discussion, let me know via conversation or profile post and I'll attempt to move the relevant posts to Feedback. Thanks in advance.
The 2017 knife is a beauty, IMO!

Reactions: HWF

c9FNbAg.jpg

Primarily size for me. I'm a 3.5" or under guy.

I'm very pleased to see the shield choices so far on the 56 run. Not fond of mustard or B--- S--- yellow, but Antique Yellow is good with me. Love that bomb shield!

While I prefer single blades, I like my doglegs with the fat end in my palm instead of up front, and I also really prefer half-stops for their walk and talk. The bocote is still quite tempting though

Barry, for me it is mostly what Carboniferous said: I like my handles bigger at the butt, so I think they put the pivot at the wrong end.

I liked the recent #38 release. The blade was nice as well as the cover choices. It was a little slim on the back end but it fit into the pocket very nicely. I ended up selling off my abalone though. The stag, Indian paint brush and bocote wood were my favorite choices when it was all said and done. There are just so many GEC knives to choose from that I ended up with no #38's, but I do like them.

I am interested in this wild acrylic cover. I wonder what they are going on. Both the #56 releases list the pheasant feather and red river as the option. It just says 'Mardi Gras Acrylic" under the photo.

3ChXGxG.jpg

They've used mardi gras acrylic on previous models so you can reference that. On the templars I think?

c9FNbAg.jpg

I like them :cool: At least my whorly Bocote..

If I were to find the 'right' Stag I'd snap that up too :D

That said, it might've liked better with a full size Clip as I think Turkish Clips are better suited to multi blade patterns rather than as a single.

I'd also like to see GEC make this as a Penknife pattern with Clip/ Pen , Spear/Small Clip and yes, how about some stainless efforts??
;):thumbsup:

jJKBgzC.jpg

Back