Lets talk GEC!

The 73 is a handsome knife...greatest?... well I’m partial to the 15s myself. There are always lots of 73s for sale on the secondary market, in a wide-variety of handle materials. Furthermore, the 73s are available for much more reasonable prices than other offerings from GEC. If folks are hankering for a 73 now, just go hunt one down.
Would you mind PM'ing me where you are always seeing "lots" of 73's for sale, in a wide variety of handle materials, at much more reasonable prices than other offerings from GEC?!? :D
There's a grand total of 4 (out of 383 GEC's) on the big auction site, all of them 2 blade, and I can't recall the last time I saw one for sale on the Exchange.
15's are a different story, (with a caveat on the price stipulation).:D

Somebody mention liner lock 73? Here's mine in a very groovy Sambar

2eVJFB7.jpg

What’s with all the #73 love around here? Don’t get me wrong, it’s a handsome knife. Maybe I’m just out of touch. I just don’t see anything about it that would make me jeopardize my marriage the way some others do, like the #25 or Grinling Whittler which I await for with baited breath.
It would appear that you have not used a 73 yet . I also like the 25 and Grinling Whittler but the 73 is a much better user .

Harry

View attachment 1215299 View attachment 1215298 View attachment 1215300

I agree with Norcaldude Norcaldude and Old Engineer Old Engineer , the single blade 73 is right at the top of the list of patterns in my opinion.

It is not easy to find them Markeologist Markeologist . In fact, it was harder to find a nice single blade locking 73 than it was to find my sawcut Beer Scout.

However, trying to rank any of these knives above the others is virtually impossible EngrSorenson EngrSorenson . They are all so incredibly nice that it just comes down to personal preferences.

I hope that we get a new run of 73’s soon, but I also cannot wait to see what type of crown lifter GEC comes up with now that the Boy Scouts have become the Grinch that stole the Beer Scout!

interesting i haven't thought about the 73 in years. but there must be boatloads of them out in the wild. seemed like they ran those close to yearly if not, up through 2012 or so. big runs too. i know i've owned close to a dozen myself, though i believe i am down to just two 440c versions now. if memory serves they had some real nail-breaker pulls back in those early years, especially a couple i had with spey blades. i would expect them to be softened a little should a new run come around

I very much like the way GEC has shelved some of the early patterns for years at a time, only to pop up now and again, like the 2019 eurekas and pembertons. Distance and longing makes the heart grow fonder....

This one is a user now. Need to get an updated pic. I like the 73 very much, though I am more drawn to the Clip points of the 72 and 74 models. Overall the 73 is a great pattern. I assumed the 73 would always have decent supply, but I do not remember a recent run. I am sure there is one on the horizon as it is one of their flagship patterns and widely liked.

Tractor Red Bone
YvBKLA3.jpg

Would you mind PM'ing me where you are always seeing "lots" of 73's for sale, in a wide variety of handle materials, at much more reasonable prices than other offerings from GEC?!? :D
There's a grand total of 4 (out of 383 GEC's) on the big auction site, all of them 2 blade, and I can't recall the last time I saw one for sale on the Exchange.
15's are a different story, (with a caveat on the price stipulation).:D

The big auction site almost always has 73s for sale, there are 9 right now (I never said anything about number of blades). Some are clearly overpriced but some can be had for less than $200...not cheap but less than many 77s, 15s, 23s, 93s, SFOs, etc. There have been 7 or 8 73s for sale on Exchange in last several weeks and I have had a NIT 73 offered for trade as well.

Last edited:
View attachment 1215299 View attachment 1215298 View attachment 1215300

I agree with Norcaldude Norcaldude and Old Engineer Old Engineer , the single blade 73 is right at the top of the list of patterns in my opinion.

It is not easy to find them Markeologist Markeologist . In fact, it was harder to find a nice single blade locking 73 than it was to find my sawcut Beer Scout.

However, trying to rank any of these knives above the others is virtually impossible EngrSorenson EngrSorenson . They are all so incredibly nice that it just comes down to personal preferences.

I hope that we get a new run of 73’s soon, but I also cannot wait to see what type of crown lifter GEC comes up with now that the Boy Scouts have become the Grinch that stole the Beer Scout!

See above

26KWL4h.jpg

Looking forward to putting this one to use.
Jiki- do you do most of your carving in basswood? The 1095 from GEC does a great job on basswood. Walnut, etc definitely cause me to reach for the strop more often. Also, when you say “put it to good use” do you mean for food? Or carving? I’d looked at those bunkhouse knives and wondered if they’re be good carving knives.

Back