1. Week 47 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Nov 23 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

Lets talk GEC!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by rockgolfer, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Ramrodmb

Ramrodmb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Would you mind PM'ing me where you are always seeing "lots" of 73's for sale, in a wide variety of handle materials, at much more reasonable prices than other offerings from GEC?!? :D
    There's a grand total of 4 (out of 383 GEC's) on the big auction site, all of them 2 blade, and I can't recall the last time I saw one for sale on the Exchange.
    15's are a different story, (with a caveat on the price stipulation).:D

tmd_87, Will Power and JohnDF like this.
  2. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Somebody mention liner lock 73? Here's mine in a very groovy Sambar

[​IMG]

3. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    It would appear that you have not used a 73 yet . I also like the 25 and Grinling Whittler but the 73 is a much better user .

Harry

4. Norcaldude

Norcaldude Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Single blade 73s are about the perfect single blade users from GEC.

[​IMG]

5. Leslie Tomville

Leslie Tomville Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2016
    D854683D-ACDD-438E-9876-6BB605B2789B.jpeg CC26D417-86C8-4686-9DD5-6EC53ECEDFE4.jpeg 81E00AE4-BCEF-401B-8CB2-4425983C5B47.jpeg

I agree with @Norcaldude and @Old Engineer , the single blade 73 is right at the top of the list of patterns in my opinion.

It is not easy to find them @Markeologist . In fact, it was harder to find a nice single blade locking 73 than it was to find my sawcut Beer Scout.

However, trying to rank any of these knives above the others is virtually impossible @EngrSorenson . They are all so incredibly nice that it just comes down to personal preferences.

I hope that we get a new run of 73’s soon, but I also cannot wait to see what type of crown lifter GEC comes up with now that the Boy Scouts have become the Grinch that stole the Beer Scout!

6. 3-1-1

3-1-1 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 2, 2012
    interesting i haven't thought about the 73 in years. but there must be boatloads of them out in the wild. seemed like they ran those close to yearly if not, up through 2012 or so. big runs too. i know i've owned close to a dozen myself, though i believe i am down to just two 440c versions now. if memory serves they had some real nail-breaker pulls back in those early years, especially a couple i had with spey blades. i would expect them to be softened a little should a new run come around

7. 3-1-1

Apr 2, 2012
    I very much like the way GEC has shelved some of the early patterns for years at a time, only to pop up now and again, like the 2019 eurekas and pembertons. Distance and longing makes the heart grow fonder....

jkwithawave, EngrSorenson and Travman like this.
  8. tstaut

tstaut

Jan 6, 2012
    Congress will be in session...

9. Ramrodmb

Jun 9, 2010
    Whatever pattern they make, I wish they would use Ramshorn again.

73 Ramshorn
    [​IMG]

10. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson

Jul 3, 2019
    Those slabs are absolute rife with character

Will Power and Ramrodmb like this.
  11. 3-1-1

Apr 2, 2012
    They weren't even stamping pattern numbers on them yet when I got this #73....
    IMG_7129.JPG IMG_7130.JPG

12. BladeCommander

BladeCommander Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 13, 2012
    This one is a user now. Need to get an updated pic. I like the 73 very much, though I am more drawn to the Clip points of the 72 and 74 models. Overall the 73 is a great pattern. I assumed the 73 would always have decent supply, but I do not remember a recent run. I am sure there is one on the horizon as it is one of their flagship patterns and widely liked.

Tractor Red Bone
    [​IMG]

13. Ramrodmb

Jun 9, 2010
    Thank you, sir! I agree. It's even better in person! Here's the other side.
    [​IMG]

14. Markeologist

Markeologist Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 21, 2018

The big auction site almost always has 73s for sale, there are 9 right now (I never said anything about number of blades). Some are clearly overpriced but some can be had for less than $200...not cheap but less than many 77s, 15s, 23s, 93s, SFOs, etc. There have been 7 or 8 73s for sale on Exchange in last several weeks and I have had a NIT 73 offered for trade as well.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  15. Markeologist

Markeologist Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 21, 2018
    See above

16. SteveC

SteveC Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    GEC, you need to work on your sharpening when it comes to spearpoints blades. Dull as a butter knife near the tip.

17. Jarhead Greasemonkey

Jarhead Greasemonkey Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2015
    Liked for agreement...

Last 3/8" of the spearpoint on my 92 wasn't impressive.

EngrSorenson likes this.
  18. Jiki

Jiki Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 12, 2018
    [​IMG]
    But what will Santa GEC bring down the chimney?

19. Jiki

Jiki Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 12, 2018
    [​IMG]
    Looking forward to putting this one to use.

zolthar, TFBraden, JohnDF and 5 others like this.
  20. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson

Jul 3, 2019
    Jiki- do you do most of your carving in basswood? The 1095 from GEC does a great job on basswood. Walnut, etc definitely cause me to reach for the strop more often. Also, when you say “put it to good use” do you mean for food? Or carving? I’d looked at those bunkhouse knives and wondered if they’re be good carving knives.