Lets talk GEC!

I don't get the infatuation with the caplifter
shrugging.gif

I hate them. I think they have no business on any slipjoint other than scouts and utility knives. But then again I like to keep my slipjoints traditional.

Brass stinks and can leave your hands malodorous.
Thanks for an interesting response!

The archetypal alloys are:
Nickel Silver: 60% copper, 20% nickel and 20% zinc
Brass: 66% copper, 0% nickel and 34% zinc

Just out of curiosity- what exactly leaves your hands less smelly?

I don't get the infatuation with the caplifter
shrugging.gif

It's a pretty valuable tool as far as non-bladed tools go. I'm not saying I'm in the cap lifter camp, since I carry a SAK anyway, but I definitely use the SAK caplifter for all kinds of things. Especially good at pulling those stinking plastic fasteners out of the body panels of cars and opening bottles of beer afterwards while cussing the invention of said plastic fasteners. Maybe I'd leave my SAK on the dresser if I had a GEC with a caplifter. Who knows? I'd definitely buy one with the right configuration, though.

the big squared butt wasn't comfortable in my hand (medium sized), making a bit of a hot spot where it sat in my palm.
This is the exact reason I passed mine along... twice.
I tried to like it, it's a good looking knife and had great action. Just couldn't get past those large square end caps.

Thanks for an interesting response!

The archetypal alloys are:
Nickel Silver: 60% copper, 20% nickel and 20% zinc
Brass: 66% copper, 0% nickel and 34% zinc

Just out of curiosity- what exactly leaves your hands less smelly?

Neither nickel silver or steel leave any offending odors behind.

I think it’s a matter of body chemistry. Some people are more sensitive to it than others. Like how some people can rust a knife simply by carrying it in their pocket or how others are acutely aware of the taste carbon steel can leave behind on food.

I’m agonizing over those Northfield #44’s from 2018. Ultimately I never pull the trigger because I’m not the biggest fan of some of the design choices, however inconsequential they are. I just love the look of Brass on brass on brass with rich browns and yellows for handle covers. Brass bolsters and cocobolo look so sharp.

Anyone know if there’s a rationale why we don’t see brass more often for bolsters and shields?

Brass on Brass, check out the Tressle Pine SFO lines made by Queen. From what I recall the two or three different knife patterns were all brass on brass with old grown timber scales. A variety are still available.

I think we'll see these on a #35 frame ...
9xCz7rs.jpg

Who knows, maybe we'll see a caplifter on a #35 as well.

On a side note, M&G apparently sold 68 #15 Boys Knives with Bail and Chain over the weekend. On Friday I was considering buying one, that's how many their system said we're available. This morning I finally went back to buy one and they were gone.

I think we'll see these on a #35 frame ...
9xCz7rs.jpg

Who knows, maybe we'll see a caplifter on a #35 as well.

On a side note, M&G apparently sold 68 #15 Boys Knives with Bail and Chain over the weekend. On Friday I was considering buying one, that's how many their system said we're available. This morning I finally went back to buy one and they were gone.

Ah man! I’ve had that page up on my phone since last week. Was going to buy it on payday Friday. :poop:

It might get used more than the blade if you like modern craft beers, 90% of which come in bottles, and bottles of the non-twist variety. I don’t like the idea per se from a “platonic ideal of the knife” point of view, but can’t deny I’d use the heck out of it.
80% of the craft beers in North Carolina are coming in cans these days.

Back