Lets talk GEC!

What is the M&G #35?
If I’m following correctly, the speculation is here.
I think the M&G will be this (info from that other knife forum) ...

9xCz7rs.jpg

If true, I will try for at least one depending on the covers. The original cover choices sound awesome to me!

What percentage of GEC sales do you think go to blade forums members?
Just a thought here but...
Wouldn't it be neat if GEC conducted a series of polls like CK did for the forum knife and design thier next run off of that input?
It would just be some market research and it would design a good selling knife.
Like poll #1 - Which pattern? and list 4
Poll #2 - which scales?
Poll #3 - blade types?
Poll #4 - 1095 vs stainless
I'd bet a killer popular knife would be the result

Wouldn't it be neat if GEC conducted a series of polls like CK did for the forum knife and design thier next run off of that input?
Poll #2 - which scales?
Poll #3 - blade types?
Seems like a lot of work to get another single blade 15 barlow.;):D

Nah. I'd rather Mr Howard keep doing his thing the way he thinks is best. An expert in the field designing a knife vs a bunch of random internet poll takers.
The design of the knife, the engineering, the blade geometry, the grind, etc all go to the pro himself. Even the patterns have all been designed already. It would just basically be a way of determining which pattern in which covers are the customers hoping for.

Poll #2 - which scales?
Poll #3 - blade types?

I like what you’re saying, but I might guess that “not in control” feeling drives sales! We go, “oh that’s almost my grail knife! Mr. Howard will never get closer... I’d better buy it!” So we do. Then the next year perhaps our tastes change a little or he gets even closer to formulating the “grail knife”... and you know what we do, of course. Buy it!

Poll #2 - which scales?
Poll #3 - blade types?
I just was looking at GEC's website and they list 25 dealers, also there are other knife forums out there...and GEC has been in the game for some time now. Perhaps early on a lot of knives were sold due to the exposure from here, but there is no way to quantify that in any manner.

Knives built by polls always put off a certain amount of participants, because they don't get their choice in the end, better to have the creator build his vision and let the customer decide on if it's a hit or a miss. GEC's track record has a lot of grand slams and home runs. I think they know what they are doing...

Just when you think 2020 couldn't get any weirder and then this happens.

35-Beer-Sausage-Knife-scaled.jpg

But then again, remember that #35 family has some weird members already. (Looking at you, Calf pen.)
Perhaps it has been decided that #35 would become GEC's experimental pattern. And IMO it lends itself to it nicely: not too big, not too small, equal end, symmetric. I'd recon it must be less complicated to throw bunch of random implements on it.
I see this argument having merit, after all look at all the gizmos Victorinox has crammed into a (almost)equal end knife thats not to big or not to small.
Also I would contend that the Calfpen is an oddball, but once you use it it "clicks" at least for me it does. Just my opinion of course, but it is the perfect workmans knife.

I hope there is enough meat left there that the grab portion doesn't snap on you...I really like the one arm blades :(

Me too! I tried to leave as much metal as possible around the hook that goes under the bottle cap

that suckers not going anywhere. Remember that the resistance to bending is proportional to the width times the height through the cross section (spine to edge) to the THIRD power. If you have more material there (In height) than your average SAK bottle opener, you’re fine. The only thing I’d have worried about is introducing hair cracks while cutting the hardened blade. That might cause issues. If you went slow and kept the blade cool you should be fine.

that suckers not going anywhere. Remember that the resistance to bending is proportional to the width times the height through the cross section (spine to edge) to the THIRD power. If you have more material there (In height) than your average SAK bottle opener, you’re fine. The only thing I’d have worried about is introducing hair cracks while cutting the hardened blade. That might cause issues. If you went slow and kept the blade cool you should be fine.
Good point. I took it slow and the blade never got too hot to touch

I happen to really enjoy the surprise of GEC collecting - not knowing what is coming next contributes to a lot of my anticipation and excitement. Sometimes, something comes along that doesn't quite trip my trigger - other times, something gets announced that I warm to rather quickly if it wasn't on my radar previously. And, of course, there are always the slam dunks that get me immediately enthusiastic.

I don't need GEC to change how they market their knives - everything that they do contributes to the allure, regardless of whether they produce something that gets scoffed at or not.

Back