Let's talk Northwoods

I second using mineral oil.

I think our giraffe bone might be related...

0shCJsU.jpg

That's a very attractive Giraffe:cool: I think this bone is similar to Camel in that it takes up dye in a random way and can give some outstanding results and others that are less convincing.

Some people have noted a light pull and or weaker snap, a wash&brush up or just a good oiling often improves matters substantially so keep at it:D

My new giraffe friend showed up on Saturday. I took to it immediately. I've never experienced a single blade eureka before, but now I understand the popularity. The size is just right, and fits into the curve of my fingers perfectly.

Like others, I experienced light pull and sluggish closing at first. The pull doesn't bother me. It's not weak, just easy to open.

The closing did bother me. I did a mineral oil flush, which worked out some gunk. I also took some very fine sandpaper to the inner liner corners, then polished it back up. Not sure that was necessary for the action, but it at least makes those edges smoother.

Regardless, the closing action is much improved, and I anticipate it getting better with use.

This is a phenomenal knife. It quickly went in the pocket and on my short list of favorites.

Hope you all enjoy them as much as I do.

20191111_114203-1024x1365.jpg 20191111_114250-1024x1356.jpg

Not normal after it is broken in.... IMO you have to keep it oiled and keep cycling it while you are watching the Browns beat the Bill's... I have had numerous GEC be sluggish as you describe until broken in...
Looks to me like a combination of heavier blade and perhaps looser fit slows it to over travel compared to the other one. I’ve had knives do that and never saw it as a problem as long as everything else was in order.

Thanks for the replies. I've edited the text of my post to make clear my videos were super-slow motion, 240 frames/second (8x slowdown), in order to show the actual movement of the blade when closing.

The action isn't "sluggish" from grit, it's just sloppy from the weak spring.

I gave it a nice mineral (oil) bath, lots of friction, but it's no different.

I'm not a nail-breaker fan, by any means. I much prefer my Signal Jack over the three 93's I have for its lighter action (I'm positively terrified of the talk on the Ram's Foot). But this whole knife vibrates when it walks, making a sound like a twanging spring. I may just send it back to KSF and let some other prospector stumble across it next week.

I've got a NW Gladiator. Opposite end clip and spear, crazy stag, s60v steel. It has the holes for nail nicks. I'd post a picture but I am not home.
Anyone have one also?

Back