Let's talk Northwoods

Can't say that I'm a fan of the knives branded as 'Northwoods' by KSF and made by GEC. Dave Shirley had a vision for these knives. He wanted them to be a tribute to blademaster William Scagel. The recently branded knives are just GECs with slightly different scales and an arrowhead.

I treasure the two Dave Shirley era Northwoods folders I own. I kick myself for not buying a couple of the fix blades back then, after Dave passed away.

I understand your position on this. I really do. I have a great deal of respect for Dave Shirley as I'm sure many knife enthusiasts do.

I feel compelled to comment that although the new Northwoods knives may not carry on Dave's vision, I know that Derrick and the folks at KSF also have a great deal of respect for Dave. When I bought a Fremont Jack from the latest run last year I got an email a week or so later from KSF asking me to keep Dave Shirley in my thoughts when I used the knife. I really appreciated that email reminder. Not only did it remind me of who started it all (not that I had forgotten) but I thought it was a very nice gesture from KSF.

Just wanted to toss that out there.

@Railsplitter - I have absolutely no beef with KSF. Ive bought knives from them and IMO they're good folks. I also have no beef with GEC, they are my favorite maker of production traditional knives and I own quite a few of them.

All I'm talkin' about is Northwoods Knives. Unfortunately, a man who was passionate about Scagels and wanted to honor that man & his designs passed away. His particular vision was lost. This is not the first time this has happened (not just with knives) and its sure not the last time it will happen. Putting the brand on it doesnt change that these knives are essentially GECs.

That's just this one man's opinion.

Pointshoot777, I apologize for reading something into your post that isn't there. And I do agree that the turn of events is unfortunate.

Pointshoot777, I apologize for reading something into your post that isn't there. And I do agree that the turn of events is unfortunate.

No reason to apologize, my friend. I found your comment interesting. Just a bunch of guys sitting around talking knives. Like sitting around talking about our favorite sport teams.

Life goes on and things change. Just thought I'd add my thoughts to the discussion. Regards -

P.S. - one thing after reading your comments became clear to me. Dave Shirley wanted to make a tribute to William Scagel and his knife designs. KSF wanted to make a tribute to Dave Shirley.

And there's nothing wrong with either of these desires, though quite different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
For those that have multiple Northwoods knives and coinciding parent company pattern:
Is there a particular pattern that Northwoods did that you like better than other offerings?

Hawthorne vs GEC 48 for example.

I know the difference comes down to grind, but sometimes that can make All the difference.
-----
After scrolling back up, I can't tell if my comment could be taken as ironic, flippant, or otherwise.
For clarification, I hadn't read the pages comments prior to posting and it was made out of sheer curiosity.

Last edited:
Here are my Northwoods to date. Great knives!

3550a8c4d708b90f77746b3297653429.jpg

dcfc110e6119efc6395e0e550655d9a4.jpg

bc1bd7b72140e28a51401860dec52fa9.jpg

8845a153b6339350b7e5197126ff58b3.jpg

f8284d35a949036bc42add88600f1572.jpg

dc59ba39056bb0a9a6ccad28b64792ea.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think I am happy and sad to see this thread...

I very much appreciate the following we have. I do not try to just "do a GEC with an arrowhead" but I can see where people might think that. We work hard to supply higher end scales and work to build different takes on patterns. You will see much more of that in the future.

In any event--to answer the questions I saw.

The folder made by Bark River is a little ways out.
The Hawthorne coming up will be in both clip and wharncliffe varieties.

We have cool stuff coming down the pike. Stay tuned.

Derick, has there been a renewed interest in putting out any multi blade patterns in the future?
The last time I spoke with y'all on the subject was probably about a year ago.

Another Norfolk would be pretty sweet!

I very much appreciate the following we have. I do not try to just "do a GEC with an arrowhead" but I can see where people might think that. We work hard to supply higher end scales and work to build different takes on patterns. You will see much more of that in the future.

Hawthorne with a clip blade? Ok I'm officially excited [emoji12]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Derrick, I think Dave would appreciate that the brand is still used on high quality knives that are made in the USA. It would have been unfortunate if the brand got scooped up by that place in the mountains or Taylor brands. Have you used the Scagel mark? Do you have that stamp? That might be something neat to use on a fitting pattern in the future.

You keep us customers tuned in every week with your emails. ;) Have to admit that I read every one of them and that is saying something considering the volume of advertising emails I receive.

Looking forward to what you come up with in the Northwoods line. May just have to bite a bit quicker than I normally do on knives if I like something.

You keep us customers tuned in every week with your emails. ;) Have to admit that I read every one of them and that is saying something considering the volume of advertising emails I receive.

Looking forward to what you come up with in the Northwoods line. May just have to bite a bit quicker than I normally do on knives if I like something.

Right there with you.

One suggestion- how about a Scagel style cut out oval nail nick on a Northwoods folder ? If GEC can tool up for that. (Some of the Dave Shirley era Northwoods had that, as do some small custom makers now ) - - Also Scagels are quite rustic looking. The stag versions of the GECs do capture that quality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
While we're talking Scagel, how about a stag shadow pattern?
I don't know how willing GEC would be to taking on that task, but I really love the looks of those bolster less stag folders.

Back