Lets use those axes for what they were ment for.

When you are about to hew, before you swing an axe of any kind, you should place a slab or board on the ground under the stick below the line. When an axe, scoring or broad axe, breaks through, the slab will keep the axe from finding the rock I assure you will be in that exact spot on the ground. You can remove the slab after you hew a few logs in the same spot as the chips build up enough to save your axe. The chips build up enough that you have to kick a path through the chips to work after awhile.
Thank you for this advice. I remember from an axe to grind you mentioned using the chips for this purpose. So i just figured I'd be careful till i had some chips... That little mistake took me a good two hours to fix. I hated having to reprofile that ol e&s. Especially where it already had a worn toe when i acquired it. It has plenty of bit steel left though so it's all good. I have a couple questions now that I've tried hewing but I'll just rewatch that part of the aforementioned video to see if I can find the answers there. It's a workout that's for sure! Even with the chainsaw for the crosscut. I'll try to finish this up in the next day or two.

I've got to do that myself soon except that mine's gotta be 8-9" by 8-9" by 12' for a mantle. Oh, by the by, I gotta do it with a broad hatchet 'cause I don't have a broad axe

Yet....
Have you chosen the type of wood you'll use yet? I was surprised as to how efficient simply cutting the notches and then cutting off the slabs was. Fast way to remove material! You could almost do it with just an axe and an adze.

I had a long day and a late start to this project. But i tried anyway! I can't access my actual camera from my phone so i don't have any action shots. Not even a pic of my broad axe! I picked this spruce and went at it
3uT7h4H.jpg
t4Q4OSg.jpg

TO15brP.jpg

I brought my crosscut saw out and after completing one cut i went and grabbed my Jonsered... next time I'll do the whole thing traditionally.
SGaJL3O.jpg

You can see my "log dogs". Haha. Two pieces of pine and a couple 8 penny nails. I cut a notch every 2' or so and knocked the chips off with my e&s. I had a little mishap doing this and those pics are last...
FtQUdSH.jpg

After i used the broad axe. It went pretty well and I'm looking forward to finishing this small beam. 5"x5"x9'. I'm thinking spruce isn't the best choice. I'll use poplar next time.
IHfoLqT.jpg

WlgEWrq.jpg
2H23hh7.jpg

When removing the large chips one of my blows went right through and i chipped the bit a little. I've been most of the evening cleaning tools and filing and honing this axe. I enjoyed swinging the broad axe and i should have some completed projects to share soon.
JduP7zD.jpg

Nice work! Looks like you had fun.

I'm not sure which direction you were hewing but I find it easier to get a nice finish if hewing from top to bottom of the tree. Depending on how your broadaxe is handed one side or the other will present itself to you properly. Once I've hewn that side I will roll the log over 180° and hew the opposite side in that same top-to-bottom direction.

May be better to watch "These Old Cabin Logs" video. The hewing footage in the "Axe To Grind" video was lifted from the cabin logs video. I haven't seen either in many years and there might be more info in the original footage?

Have you chosen the type of wood you'll use yet? I was surprised as to how efficient simply cutting the notches and then cutting off the slabs was. Fast way to remove material! You could almost do it with just an axe and an adze.
Yep, a ponderosa? tree that's already been felled and is around 1.5-2 feet in diameter. I figure that should eliminate checking. I get the knot-free section next to the trunk. The tree is 130ish years old and was a drought kill. I've got a 4lb axe with a 34 inch vintage nos handle that pops chips like nobody's business. The two axes will be used to see if 32" is better than 34" and the adze will ironically be hewing the log a second time 'cause I practiced adzing on the log a few months ago.
IMG-E0706.jpg
DSC-0555.jpg

You can see my "log dogs". Haha. Two pieces of pine and a couple 8 penny nails. I cut a notch every 2' or so and knocked the chips off with my e&s. I had a little mishap doing this and those pics are last...
FtQUdSH.jpg

I don't see your chalk line on that log. But if it was made with blue chalk then it would be low contrast and might not show up in the image. I try to cut my juggles close to the line without going deep. Start by leaving an extra 1/2"-3/4" until you're comfortable with getting closer. The tendency is to overcut the bottom of the juggle so watch out for that.

Juggling is very similar to the underhand chop in competition and similar short handled axes (28"-32") will be most useful. A wide bit and minimal curve make it easier to connect your cuts and control your depth.

First, let me say how happy I am that log hewing is going on! The broad axe is the most single purpose tool I have in my tool box (a very big box). I always find multiple uses for other tools but the broad axe is very special in that it only hews logs. While I find that hewing from the top of the log to the bottom works well for dryer logs, for fresh cut green logs the advantage is minimal. You should always try to do your hewing when the log is green, then, if you have the time,wait for it to dry some before using it for construction. Juggles are best at 8"-12". And always juggle every knot. I never rotate the log 180 deg. If it is to be hewn only two sides, as most original American wall logs (the two hewn surfaces are placed in the vertical plane for exterior and interior finish), and the log is green, it is much more efficient to set it in the notched yoaks upside down from the way it will set in the finished wall, do your layout on the small dia. end (top end), dog it to the yoaks on the side opposite your first hew side, snap your chalk line in the same plane as the hewing, juggle/score close to the line, and hew the first side with the broad axe. Then, move the dogs, one at a time so you don't lose your plumb setting on your layout lines, and repeat on the other side to be hewn. Now there are other reasons that you might want four sides hewn. So, after hewing your second side, rotate the log, one time only, 90 deg., replumb, and repeat the above on the two remaining unhewen surfaces. I hope this makes sense, and remember, I always had to keep an eye on efficiency to get as many logs hewn in the day without making myself useless the next day. When you are hewing for recreation instead of production it is maybe ? not as important.
One word about the chalk line. I saw on some site that had posted "An Axe To Grind" video some bonehead's reply was that I didn't know what I was doing because I didn't bark the whole log before snapping the chalk line. First, not every species of tree has bark that will throw off your line, so no need to bark at all before hewing, just sweep the bark off. Second, if you bark the whole green log first try standing on top to juggle/score safely. And last, if you hew a lot you can lay a line on the worst of logs by just bumping the knots an bad spots just under the line.

Last edited:
A17- I figure you are using the tools you have. But you will not get a good or traditional finished product hewing a 18"-24" dia. stick with an adze. I have, and use a lot of adzes. An adze is more of a finish dressing tool than a hewing tool. But, I have found (not many) original timbers that were hewn with only an adze. Most of the adze hewn timbers I found were in ship building parts of the country, where there were lots of adzes and men who really knew how to use them.

A17- Doesn't everybody on this site need a broad axe? Even though it's cheap and by a very good maker, I would not recommend the axe you show, too many problems. It is too small to be broad axe. I believe it to be a large broad hatchet instead. Does JB maybe have something ? By the way I approve of your potential ride when you head to college. When I was about your age I had a 1951 corn binder that I paid $15.00 for.

I worked a long day today and it's supposed to rain tomorrow so i don't know when I'll have an opportunity to finish hewing that log. But i can't wait to do it again and have a finished piece! My first hewn log! I will juggle a little closer together for sure. Other than needing log dogs my set up worked okay. This was a pretty knotty log so that really complicated things. Here's a before and after pic of my e&s.
bsTb2mS.jpg
qUDlq4k.jpg

It doesn't look like it but i put over an hour into filing that! There's still one small nick left but i think it'll be alright. This axe is hung on a 29" haft. I'm 6' 1-1/2" tall and an axe between 28"-30" is best for me for the undercuts. As square peg suggested i think a slightly wider bit with less of a curve would work a little better. Hmmmm, which axe will it be??

I sorta thought that too. I guess I just needed to hear someone else say it. I started juggling? joggling? the mantle log today. I took 8 axes to fiddle with and ended up only using 2 before my light failed. A17 and my hand forged double bit (far right two) got to attack the log first. I noticed the hand forged one had a side forged thicker than the other for splitting and rough work. The thin side pops pretty good chips, though. Also, my view was pretty nice, huh?
IMG-1167.jpg
IMG-1173.jpg
IMG-1176.jpg

Last edited:
Alright! Jb had a really nice one but it was a lefty and $110 bucks. It was worth it, but I just can't swing the price for a NICE one.

A17,good job,i too am happy to see someone hewing,right on.

(Yankee Josh,likewise,great so see folks do something so worthwhile).

My quote function is off,but above A17 you give the specs on your tree(nice one,for sure).
There you also seem to connect it to "checking",and i just wanted to point out this(and there're plenty of knowledge here and i may in part or whole be corrected on it):
Checking is inevitable,the tree will exist in different moisture content,and it's volume will change(also it's structure inside).
We do have a certain influence on how much,and where,checking may occur to better to suit our purpose.
I've not a clue of what you may have in mind for this timber(-s),so i'll be very general.
If you get from this a Centered timber,one that contains the heart,checking will be most severe.The timber will shrink radially and therefore check,to occupy that new volume.
(which is fine,structurally,one may look at checks as visible lines of the lay of a rope,it's just the structure visible).
Under certain loading such Centered timber has distinct advantages(balance of tensile and compressive loads et c.,therefore ability to resist in ditto).
In such timber the widest checking will occur at a point closest to the heart,shortest distance radially.
Old Axeman mentions timbers like this,hewed on vertical faces,used as wall-logs.I love that style,have built that way recently,and the checking is very consistently at a shortest radial distance to the heart.

Timberframers,for a number of reasons,favor sticks milled "heart-free center".Meaning you exclude the heart,which narrows your dimentional ambitions,as it leaves you less than 50% of dia. for section of timber.

Long ago people made use of the natural curvature of logs as well.Often in ship-,as well as house-building many natural cruks:) and crotches and boles and bends were used.
Those were halfed,mostly,convenient also for the ability to get two symmetrical building members at once.
With a lack of heart you're up to having to balance the timber somehow in as far as tensions inside it,else incorporate what distortion will be inevitable.

But-my long-winded point is:There were other methods of finishing a timber other than the very long/very heavy broadaxe.
Many styles of older finishes involved a fairly radiused small axe,creating a scalloped effect(to whatever depth).
I think actually that the adze finish is one of these,in principle.
Certain irregularity of the surface may look good,and used to quite an advantage(drainage is very much affected by that).Provided of course it's deliberate and consistent.
So,with the variety of axes at your disposal i'd not be surprised that there's a proper method of how to use a smaller,radiused blade to achieve a quality surface.
(we've of course talked about all that,that neat old video from Wisconsin,if i remember right,where the guys were getting huge perfect flat faces all 4 sides with felling axes...That was Something...!)

Jake- you need to watch the old Wisconsin video again. The axe men only used the American style broad axe to get huge perfect flat hewn faces and the felling axes for the juggling/scoring. I know this because I am the owner of the original footage and brought it to light for the public. It is possible to get a crude hewn face with only a felling axe but not likely a quality face. And why would you want to do that when the effort to get a poor quality face is much greater than using a broad axe. If you only have a felling axe available, you would build (and they did traditionally) build a log building using round logs.
Drainage is not helped by a rough, irregular surface. On hewn surfaces the only thing that helps is the tooling marks left by the broad axe used horizontal. If you look at my explanation of broad axe hewing above, take notice where I said to place the log in the yoaks upside down from the the way you will place the log in the wall. This is what make the water drain off the hewn surface. After the broad axe hewn surface is finished, and the log is put in the wall right side up, the tool marks have a shingle type effect that sheds water. I discovered this after restoring MANY historic hewn buildings. The buildings that held up the best were broad axe hewn (because it exposed the heart wood to the elements),using the method I have shown in print and video and the historic footage mentioned, with the logs placed in the wall as I just described. There are other factors in durability of wall logs--species, foundation design, roof design, etc.

Back