Lighter AD10

While my AD10 hasn’t replaced my Sebenza I’m starting to carry it more but it has a distinct weight problem. What does Cold Steel make that has the same quality feel but is not a brick. I do want liners and G10 but blade shape and price aren’t a concern, I’ve searched all the big name sites as well as Cold Steel but I’m not inclined to buy based on a spec sheet.

I don't think your going to find one with g10 and liners and a triad lock that's going to be a light weigh, the high quality aspect part adds weight. I have been wrong before though, good luck on your hunt.

I was fidgeting with my AD-10 the other night and started wondering about drilling the liners and insides of the handle scales to see if I could lighten it by an ounce or so....

I do want liners and G10

I suspect this will be the sticking point in finding an alternative. CS doesn't tend to combine liners and G10; the AD-10 is something of a rarity.

The Ultimate Hunter is a great suggestion. Given the thickness of its G10, it doesn't need liners. You might also check out the Code-4; its aluminum handle keeps girth and weight down.

I love my AD10 and my Code 4, but I also wish Cold Steel made lighter knives with g10 and liners.

I suspect this will be the sticking point in finding an alternative. CS doesn't tend to combine liners and G10; the AD-10 is something of a rarity.

The Ultimate Hunter is a great suggestion. Given the thickness of its G10, it doesn't need liners. You might also check out the Code-4; its aluminum handle keeps girth and weight down.

i like my Code 4 too but it’s just a bit to thin

Thin knives have their place as well and work when needed. My Lawman is on the thin side but I carried and still do a Spyderco Police I got in 89 I believe, so kind of used to the flatness. They all have their place I reckon right now I've got a 4Max Scout in my pocket around the house-yard along with the Lawman. I like them all I guess one way or the other.

Thin knives have their place as well and work when needed. My Lawman is on the thin side but I carried and still do a Spyderco Police I got in 89 I believe, so kind of used to the flatness. They all have their place I reckon right now I've got a 4Max Scout in my pocket around the house-yard along with the Lawman. I like them all I guess one way or the other.

It rides in my handlebar bag on my bike it's great for that purpose. I can always find a use for knife my XM rides in the Jep because it doesn't cut well, the relief cut tears up my pants, and it's another brick but works great at the camp site and digs well.

I may try the ultimate hunter and if I don't like it I can probably just throw it in the toolbox but I really want a comfortable reasonable light weight triad knife because frame locks are boring.

Bush Ranger 5.7 ounces , no liners but nice thick slabs of G10 .

Very solid feeling and comfy handle . Not drop shut action like AD10 , but smooth .

Ultimate Hunter as already mentioned .

Maybe one from Demko would be lighter . Lots more $$$ !

+1 for a lighter AD10. But i think drilling the liners alone will not solve the issue, because it'll make the knife unbalanced since the AD10 has big blade(This is why knife like the Spyderco Shaman has a steel backspacer).
The only way to drastically reduce the weight of the AD10 is to make the blade thinner(maybe 3.5mm instead of 4mm) or make it narrower to counterbalance the weight of the skeletonized liner.

I often think an SR1 with a thinner blade would be great. I love the straight profile.

That's my next purchase an SR1 Tanto, I just gotta check one out. They do make the light weight version also.

A medium espada in xhp. that is g10 and has liners ;) you will have to hunt one down as not loads come up...

+1 for a lighter AD10. But i think drilling the liners alone will not solve the issue, because it'll make the knife unbalanced since the AD10 has big blade(This is why knife like the Spyderco Shaman has a steel backspacer).
The only way to drastically reduce the weight of the AD10 is to make the blade thinner(maybe 3.5mm instead of 4mm) or make it narrower to counterbalance the weight of the skeletonized liner.

:thumbsup:

A lighter AD-10...

...just wouldn't be an AD-10!

;)

Check out the large Voyager. It may not be G10 but it's big, bad and has the triad lock, it's lightweight for its size.
The Broken Skull (dumb name for a knife IMO) is thin, light and slicey - also has the Triad lock.
As mentioned, the Code-4 if you can appreciate aluminium handles may suit your fancy.
As for the Ultimate Hunter, its shape is not unlike the AD-10 and carrys lighter and smaller.

Came here to suggest this. If you can live without the liners the Ultimate Hunter is a very, very good choice with some of the best ergonomics available.
Those two beat me to the punch with the Ultimate Hunter recommendations. As stated, no liners. But probably just as strong as your Sebenza , very comfortable in hand, and a fine slicer. Less than 5 oz.

Back