Long time carry challenge

Well I did it! Today is one month for the "carry only one knife challenge" and I have to say it wasn't that bad and I definitely got my $20 bucks worth out of this SOG. I got to hone my stropping skills only using only one knife but now it's time for a good sharpening a mirror finish. That was a useful challenge skivic, Thanks for the idea :cool::thumbsup:.
Ulnucrp.jpg

Last edited:
It is now officially 3 days past my 30 - I never missed a beat. The Stryker II has been the best concentrated carry in a few years. Not even sure if I will trade around now that the month is done.

skivic skivic thanks for the challenge!

Ok, bringing it back up. I went 6 weeks with just the Stryker - I could go on and on, fits me well - great EDC!!!!

Now I choose to stray from that path to a new one - a Proper, see if I can go the 30 days. I have it in a pocket slip - it's very light and the slip keeps it in the same spot as a folder with a clip. It's not the quickest to deploy, but I am not going to a knife fight, and if I do, I have a gun for that!

Anybody else care to join in? If you can't do the "only one" - how often to you change up? How many do you carry each day? I MIGHT do two on my person, and have another and a multi-tool in my work bag. There is also a box cutter in the back of my car to deal with the bulk of having to make boxes smaller.

But as far as the 30 day restriction, I am going to see if the Proper can fit the bill as well as the Stryker did.

Who's in?!

proper sheath first use.jpg

Ive carried my gerber multitool every day for the last 9 years. id say 99.9% of the time. maybe not to the beach, but its in my car!
knives, i switch em up.
im gonna pocket my griptilian and see if I can make it 30 days!

...need time to figure out who’s gonna make the cut ;)

Now that's funny! And sad at the same time - I am finding the difference between a slip joint and a "flick open" to be something one needs to get over! In the time it takes me to flick open the Stryker, slit all the tape and lever up the folded lid (maybe) of a hard drive shipping box, and ship the knife - I am still just finishing with the tape slitting with the Proper. Good thing I do not live my life in a hurry!

On the plus side - yesterday I had to cut three small cable locks off a sizeable coil of coated wire (amateur radio antenna) and I had no fear of hurting the wire when I turned the blade over and snuck it between coils, after which the cable lock gave it up quickly - gotta love a good sharp cutter!!!

Last edited:
Ten days in - I do have to say that so far this is not he most active knife month - for work days anyway. I have used the Proper around the backyard, cutting flower stems, trimming suckers off the crab apple tree and opening a few bags of garden soil and compost.

Happy!

I started carrying a Buck 110 daily 30+ years ago. Like an idiot I’ve spent money thinking I could do better or I was missing out. I never last long and I’m back to a 110.

I’ve tried to carry everything from classic pocket knives to sheath knives. It never sticks.

I will say the only one that even comes close to ousting the 110 is a Benchmade Triage with sheepsfoot main blade.

I’ve worn out several 110’s and had them re bladed.

Ok, just to be "official" - I am done. The proper did just fine for everything I needed to do, now going back to what I consider my normal. The proper in it's pocket slip and the Stryker II. I am a happy boy!

20190528 edc 4MP.jpg

I’ve been carrying the exact same Mel Pardue auto benchmade since 2008. It was been to Afghanistan, Iraq, all over Europe and 12 Countries in Africa. Also to Puerto Rico, St Thomas and a couple South American countries. I absolutely consider it mission essential equipment. I have used it to open MREs, skin and dress a multitude of animals from rabbit to bush meat. For the very first time in all those years today it didn’t snap open when I pushed the button just sadly limped to half open as if covered in molasses. It’s clean oiled and I’m afraid it may be done.

I’ve been carrying the exact same Mel Pardue auto benchmade since 2008. It was been to Afghanistan, Iraq, all over Europe and 12 Countries in Africa. Also to Puerto Rico, St Thomas and a couple South American countries. I absolutely consider it mission essential equipment. I have used it to open MREs, skin and dress a multitude of animals from rabbit to bush meat. For the very first time in all those years today it didn’t snap open when I pushed the button just sadly limped to half open as if covered in molasses. It’s clean oiled and I’m afraid it may be done.

Send it to BM for refurbishing?

PMCsoldier PMCsoldier from what I hear, here and from my dealer, if you send it back for sharpening, not only will they sharpen it for you, but when it comes back, all the springs and wearing/moving parts have been replaced.

It is worth a try you think? Ask here in the forum, I am sure someone better schooled than I can give a qualified yea or nay.

Get'em brother! No need to have such a well traveled companion sidelined if it can be rejuvenated.

Psst! Make sure you let everyone know how it goes!

Back