Long time coming....

Bruce Culberson

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
In the last 11 years I've gone sheep hunting on 7 trips putting in a total of over 60 days. I hiked a lot of miles and went through 3 pairs of leather boots. Finally this year it all came together:

ram2010048.jpg

ram2010032.jpg

Bruce

It's great to see someone put in the time and stick with it! A beautiful trophy that was well deserved.

we know you worked for that trophy since you're above the tree line. bruce did you cape & bone it there & then pack it back to camp? do'nt think it's possible to bring out the entire animal. we had to bone our deer & put the meat in plastic bags to pack out in the middle fork of the salmon. [idaho] dennis

we know you worked for that trophy since you're above the tree line. bruce did you cape & bone it there & then pack it back to camp? do'nt think it's possible to bring out the entire animal. we had to bone our deer & put the meat in plastic bags to pack out in the middle fork of the salmon. [idaho] dennis

Yup it was a lot of work. The pack out sure was heavy with the de-boned meat, cape, horns, tent, sleeping bag, thermarest, stove, pot, spotting scope, tripod, binos, sat phone, rifle, ect. My pack was probably ~120lbs. It was my first time hunting solo for sheep. I bought a Spot GPS for the trip wich worked awesome.

Nice sheep. What did you get it with?

A Remington model 600 (they were only made in the 1960's) that has been rebarreled with a custom stainless 7-08 Ackley Improved. I was shooting 140 grain handloaded Accubonds.

Thanks for all the comments guys!

Bruce

A Remington model 600 (they were only made in the 1960's) that has been rebarreled with a custom stainless 7-08 Ackley Improved. I was shooting 140 grain handloaded Accubonds.
Bruce

Nice Sheep I have always wanted to do that what a cool hunt. How do you like that 7-08 Ackley. Been thinking about building a rifle chambered in it. I have read that it is one of Kenny Jarretts pets. High end 280 performance in a short action. I have had regular 7-08 on the past and really liked them.

Thanks for the comments guys!

cddogfan1,
I love the 7-08 Ackley. I also run a standard 30-06. The 7-08 shoots flat and with low recoil. I get 2875fps with 49gr of H4350 and a 140 Accubonds out of the 20" Ron Smith tube and 3" groups @ 300 yards. Two of my friends run 22" Ted Gaillard 7-08 Ackleys and both get just a hair over 3000fps with 140 Accubonds and 52 grains of H4350.

Bruce

Last edited:
Congrats sheep hunting is a mental game and brings out a certain something in anyone that loves it great Stone

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Last edited:
Back