Looking for a multi-tool

Well, I have decided that I could use a nice multi-tool. Besides a knife nut, i am a computer geek. This means that I want something a little more useful than my leatherman micra or a run of the mill sak. I have been thinking that a vnox cybertool would get the job done, but I wanted to see what you guys had to say first. Is there a leatherman around that would do the job better? Strong pliers are always a plus, since the cybertool ones appear to be suited for rather delicate tasks only. I really like the idea of the leatherman with the 154cm blade, but I dont wish to spend that much, my budget is closer to 50 on this one. I will always have a good folder on me anyhow.

Also, for the cybertool, shoudl i get the bigger one or the smaller?

Zerileous,

For working on pc's I would imagine that the Cybertool 34 would be better than your average pliers-based tool. If only due to it's smaller size and the reach of the tool arm. Also, the smaller pliers would be handy when you drop that PCI card screw into the bottom of the case. Plus it is much lighter.
Adam

I agree, a swiss tool or leatherman is ok for computers but the listed SAk is designed for them

get the cybertool. its a fantatstic tool for any computer geek - myself included ;) . The best cybertool model in terms of cost/effectivness is probably the 34 as the 29 comes without pliers or scissors. If you are willing to pay more, the 41 comes with a wood-saw and a couple of other extras. However, considering the price of the 41, I would personally reccommend getting the best of all worlds, which is all the tools of the Cybertool 41 and the SwissChamp combined into one: the SwissChamp XLT which you can get for 109 dollars from ThinkGeek.com (or even less if you look hard). That is over twice the amout you mentioned, but if you plan on having another multi-tool/swiss army knife for other, non-computer related uses, it might make sense to pay the extra amount for the convenience of having one rather than two tools. I ended up making this choice, as I could not choose between the SwissChamp and the Cybertool - I needed both, and I am very happy with the SwissChamp XLT.

[I have to add this: I would not recommend getting the SwissChamp XLT without the leather pouch. It is not a heavy or otherwise "big" knife as some claim, but it is too big to carry around in a pocket. Besides, the pouch is cheap (8-10$ on the net) and convenient anyway]

also - take a look at this thread as it discusses the same issue.

good luck!

As much as I love SAK's I think the Swiss Champ and the largest Cybertool are just too wide. I'd rather have a Leatherman for the job. It's hard for me to justify going past 4 layers on a SAK. When you get past 4 layers it just gets so heavy in your pocket that to me it seems impractical. I only carry around 3 layer SAK's :). As much as I want to have every possible tool on me at one time, I cannot. That's what they make toolboxes for :).

SAKguy said:
As much as I love SAK's I think the Swiss Champ and the largest Cybertool are just too wide. I'd rather have a Leatherman for the job. It's hard for me to justify going past 4 layers on a SAK. When you get past 4 layers it just gets so heavy in your pocket that to me it seems impractical. I only carry around 3 layer SAK's :). As much as I want to have every possible tool on me at one time, I cannot. That's what they make toolboxes for :).

Toolboxes is good, but belt pouch works better if you want to travel light. My Swisschamp weighs less than 7 ounces and on the belt is just about unoticeable, certainly less than something banging around in the pocket. Even my 9 ounce Leatherman Supertool is easily totable by belt. Why limit yourself to pocket carry when you can have it all? :cool:

wow, thanks for the replys. I really need to go somewhere where i can handle some of these massive SAKs. I had not really considered how bit the cybertool is. I may want to get myself a kick also. It seems like plier based tools have come leaps and bounds with zytel grips and pocket clips. I also agree APS about size and manouverablility. I have handled cheep plier based tools and there are some manouverability issues.

Leatherman multi-tools for computer geeks? (Maybe I am missing something here)

My SwissChamp XLT comes the following tools for fixing computers:

Large Screwdriver
Wire Stripper
Small Screwdriver
Scissors
Phillips Screwdriver
Pliers
Wire Cutter
Wire Crimper
Fine Screwdriver
Mini Screwdriver
DIP Switch Setter
Electrician’s Blade
Wire Scraper
Bit Case
Bit Wrench
4 mm hex socket
5 mm hex socket
#0 Pozidrive Bit
#1 Pozidrive Bit
4 mm Flat Head
#2 Phillips Head
4 mm Hex Bit
#6 Torx Bit
#10 Torx Bit
#15 Torx Bit

The cybertool 41 has, if I remember well, almost the same choice of tools (minus the Electrician’s Blade with Wire Scraper). That's 25 computer-geek-compatible tools (plus another 25 others in the case of the SwissChamp XLT) in a hyper-compact size (4.5" x 2" x 1.5") quite comparable to any Leatherman and both are usually carried in a pouch.

What Leatherman multi-tool comes with a comparable choice of tools?

sputnik said:
Most of the 'puter-gurus at my work edc the Vic Cybertools, a Photon light

How does the Photon light compare to a mini Maglite ? So far I have not seen a LED light with comparable capabilities - is this one better?

which model do they use? it looks like only the Photon Micro-Light II has a real on/off switch (using a hand only to activate the squeeze on/release off switch while fixing a computer does not seem a good idea to me).

[So far, I used a Mini Magilte (-: mostly held between my teeth :) to work in dark corners]

cheers!

for lighting I am covered, For smaller tasks i have a streamlight stylus, and if i really need light i whip out the surefire g2. These surefires are amazing, I have never seen anything that can compare for sheer ammount of light in a compact size.

Anyhow, thanks for the replys, i definately think the cybertool will do what I need.

"How does the Photon light compare to a mini Maglite ? So far I have not seen a LED light with comparable capabilities - is this one better? " :eek:

I would love compare your maglite to my lionheart. I think you should spend some time at cpf. A $5 MJled drop in replacement for the maglite is brighter, and will last for over 30 hrs, not to mention all the lux pills and sandwiches.

As for computers, I have used a Wave and now a charge xti and have never needed anything else. The charge has the bit kit in the sheath, and it is pretty awesome. I have used the torx and hex several times in the last few months.

wallyrulz said:
"How does the Photon light compare to a mini Maglite ? So far I have not seen a LED light with comparable capabilities - is this one better? " :eek:

I would love compare your maglite to my lionheart. I think you should spend some time at cpf. A $5 MJled drop in replacement for the maglite is brighter, and will last for over 30 hrs, not to mention all the lux pills and sandwiches.

As for computers, I have used a Wave and now a charge xti and have never needed anything else. The charge has the bit kit in the sheath, and it is pretty awesome. I have used the torx and hex several times in the last few months.

well, if the lionheart is this one then at $164 retail I cannot afford it (the maglite costs about 10 bucks).

Could you please post a link to the $5 LED you are mentionning? What is "cpf"

I took a look at the charge xti and I have to say that it looks superb. The 154 CM Clip-Point Knife and the emergency cutting hook look most impressive. With the additional Bit Kit it is definitely an awesome tool :cool: . I might get one in the future!

I just wonder about one thing: is the charge xti not a little "rough/large/heavy" for use on computers?

I would love to see a head-to-head comparison between the Leatherman Charge XTI and the SwissChamp XLT! Have you ever seen such a comparison? (I have seen comparisons between Leatherman MT and VIc's SwissTool but I have to say that I am not very impressed by the latter one which does not, IMHO, offer much that the SwisChamp XLT would not have, while the reverse is not true).

Cheers!

Zerileous said:
Anyhow, thanks for the replys, i definately think the cybertool will do what I need.

agreed. which one are you going to get - 29? 34? 41? (or even SwissChamp XLT?)

[have you looked at Knoppix-STD? - its is *awesome* :cool: ]

probably the 41, the champ is just too much.

Yeah, i use knoppix all the time. Actually, I use Overclockix which is a modification of Knoppix, I find it has more programs that I like the use. A member over at www.ocforums.com made it and updates it. But yeah, Knoppix is really useful. Its only problem is the inability to write NTFS without a huge risk of destroying all the data on the drive (hell this might have changed by now, i am out of the loop).

Overal, I really like Linux and ran a dual boot for a while, but decided I would go back to good old friendly windows, because everyting worked, and I did not like switching to windows for games (i guess i am too impulsive...ya know, pop open ut2k4 for a 5 minute shooting spree and then do something else)

Yeah Knoppix is definately a requirement for a computer nerd.

Howdi,

Knoppix writes & resizes NTFS no prob as far as I know. Take a look at the Knoppix STD tool set - it is waaaay beyond what the "regular" (although also very good) Knoppix comes with. I use it all the time and have great fun with it.

<begin off-topic rant>

Funny that you we think of Windows as "friendly". Every time I interact with it (which is not often I admit - all my computers are GNU/Linux) I have a fit and heartburn after 5min. :mad: . No virtual consoles, only one desktop, no real process control, limited logging, hidden code, "one-size-fits-all" interface and software, etc. :barf: (and I write this even though I used to code win32 in the past ;) ). No to mention that security-wise - using Windows is tantamount to sucide, IMHO...

Although Macs are even worse (except in terms of security and except OSX, probably).

<end off-topic rant>

Anyway - enjoy your Cybertool and have a good one!

tnozh said:
well, if the lionheart is this one then at $164 retail I cannot afford it (the maglite costs about 10 bucks).

Could you please post a link to the $5 LED you are mentionning? What is "cpf"

I took a look at the charge xti and I have to say that it looks superb. The 154 CM Clip-Point Knife and the emergency cutting hook look most impressive. With the additional Bit Kit it is definitely an awesome tool :cool: . I might get one in the future!

I just wonder about one thing: is the charge xti not a little "rough/large/heavy" for use on computers?

I would love to see a head-to-head comparison between the Leatherman Charge XTI and the SwissChamp XLT! Have you ever seen such a comparison? (I have seen comparisons between Leatherman MT and VIc's SwissTool but I have to say that I am not very impressed by the latter one which does not, IMHO, offer much that the SwisChamp XLT would not have, while the reverse is not true).

Cheers!

1. Yeah the Lionheart is expensive, but I thought you were talking about size comparison. Actually the flood beam of a Nuwaii QIII is better for computer work, and it can be had for around 30-40 bucks. With rechargable 123's it is nearly as bright as Lionheart, and makes the maglite a joke. Plus the clip allows mounting on a ball cap. VERY handy, or hands free, or well, nevermind.

2. Try this. It is actually 3.25, but you will have to drill out the reflector, however this is quite easy.

3. cpf = www.candlepowerforums.com

4. The Charge is totally awesome. As far as being too big and heavy for computer work, it has titanium handles, so it is not much heavier than the wave, and it is lighter than the victorinox.

Later,
Paul

Back