Looking for a new hobby, suggestions?

Well, depending on how much beer drinking is going on in that garage, you could learn another language while sharpening knives and fixing whatever needs fixing.
No need to be particularly fluent but enough to order dinner or hold a conversation well enough to make others think your fluent, then pretend that you’ve known the language for years- you know, just for fun.
For me, I’m shopping for a little lath to start making some little odds and ends. Maybe I’ll learn mandarin while I do it. Probably just end up learning to swear in 5 different languages though :)
I thought the bolded part was something ALL guys naturally do with anything associated with the garage?

Oh man! Please pardon the dust:oops: OCD in full swing...if it's a molded in detail it MUST be painted ;)

Jedi Starfighter (the exterior is MUCH too dusty to show)
img_20181226_083126-jpg.1043506
img_20181226_083200-jpg.1043507
Always admired the patience and attention to detail that it takes to do all that.

Then the first time I saw stuff like this, it blew me away...

For a couple of years I was into making Kydex holsters and sheathes. Recently it felt more like work than a hobby so I sold off most of my stuff. Now I’m finding myself wanting something to do. I would prefer something that I can do for a few hours here or there in the garage while drinking a beer or two. Some things I’ve thought of but haven’t quit pulled the trigger on is using a lathe to turn bowls or making a epoxy/wood table. Someday I may want to forge a knife but that is down the road and would probably be a one and done.

I’m not a technical or artsy person but have found I enjoy working with my hands.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Sounds very familiar. I switch hobbies pretty frequently. Something about keeping a fresh set of goals to attain I suppose. They say the build up is more rewarding than the attainment, chemically, especially when it comes to collecting.

I started home brewing and built a few kegorators to take care of the first requirement. Very satisfied with the projects and the savings while I work on new stuff. If you haven't tried leather work yet I'd suggest it. Kydex was fun, but pretty simple stuff. Leather gives me more freedom to get crazy.
Wish I could offer you an end all be all hobby, but I'm not sure they exist for some people. I've built motorcycles, furniture, houses, bikes, sound studios, cars, off road rigs, and a million other things in my short time on earth and none of it holds my attention indefinitely. May be a personal problem, but I think we all need something fresh to grab our attention.

Last edited:
From the op's name, would guess reloading is already a hobby. If not, it should be. Anyway, most already mentioned, but here's some of mine for ideas.

Some of my current hobbies....
Knives, of course: buying, tinkering, anodizing, sharpening, etc.
Guns: shooting, reloading.
Leatherwork.
General, putter about tinkering.
Motorcycles (street & dirt, but more conservative).
Silversmithing: small bullion pours and some jewelry (also some copper).
Minimal woodworking.

Some that I'd like to try...
Lathe work: bowls, pens, etc.
Welding and other metalwork.
Forging.
Engraving (laser and contact).
3D Printing.
Carving.

Some Past Hobbies:
Flying (private).
Skydiving (actually more "events" than hobby as I never certified).
Paragliding.
Motorcycles (bit more aggressive styles).
Rock climbing.
Skiing/Snowboarding/Instructing.
Scuba
Embroidery (the hardcore kind....no really :D).
Gold plating.

Obviously my current life is a bit more sedentary. I was a little hard on my body in years past. Now paying the price.

Last edited:
Sounds very familiar. I switch hobbies pretty frequently. Something about keeping a fresh set of goals to attain I suppose. They say the build up is more rewarding than the attainment, chemically, especially when it comes to collecting.

I started home brewing and built a few kegorators to take care of the first requirement. Very satisfied with the projects and the savings while I work on new stuff. If you haven't tried leather work yet I'd suggest it. Kydex was fun, but pretty simple stuff. Leather gives me more freedom to get crazy.
Wish I could offer you an end all be all hobby, but I'm not sure they exist for some people. I've built motorcycles, furniture, houses, bikes, sound studios, cars, off road rigs, and a million other things in my short time on earth and none of it holds my attention indefinitely. May be a personal problem, but I think we all need something fresh to grab our attention.
One of the possible solutions is to cycle hobbies, i.e. when that maximum enthusiasm for a) dwindles, focus on b), then c), etc.

Months/years later, you realize it's been some time since you messed with a), and you enjoyed it quite a bit, so you revisit a).

Whittling, wood/spoon carving that sort of thing. You get to use a lot, or at least some depending on what you have, of the knives you already have and can get a whole new set of knives in different shapes and styles for making different cuts. And your sharpening hobby will be useful too.
I really need to find time to do some more of it.

If I missed it my bad but if you are looking to burn tie and money take up fishing. From salt to fresh, fly to conventional there is always something to learn and something to spend money on. Not to mention you get something good to eat. If you live in the panhandle of FL that is my area of expertise. I have spent 1000s of hours on the piers there catching cobia, king mackerel, pompano, etc. not to mention more sharks than I ever want to see again.

As you get on later in life I find things that keep my fingers dexterous helpful. I second or third guitar. I haven’t been able to play as much as I would like but I always know I have a fat tele that will always be glad to see me. Also, flipping as in balisongs. I have always known about them but recently tried to actually learn some moves and some of the better brands out there right now. Pretty amasing what you can do with bushings and chunks of titanium.

Back