Looking for a small fixed blade

Long time lurker, first post.

I am looking for a small fixed blade knife. This will be used in an office setting so it has to be discrete. I pulled out a mini griptillian once and was asked if it was for protection from our clients. I said it was a small knife not a shotgun. The knife was for paper and plastic only. I did not convince her.... Anyway

Here is the criteria

1-I tried a ZT 0450 but it was too hard to open with my slightly arthritic fingers therefore the desire for a fixed blade. (I have no problems with my ZT 0350, ZT 0770 CF or ZT 0900 see point 3)

2-It has to be through KSF because that is where I have a credit. :)

3-I have a BRKT ultra lite bushcrafter and this is too big with the Allegheny sheath for my dress pants. Handle of the knife sticks out at certain angles and makes people nervous. (The cliental pay the bills, don't mess with the cliental!)

4-6" total length or less. I am lucky with small hands - I only need 3 1/2 inches or close to that to get 4 fingers on the handle.

5-I don't have to gut a deer with it, just gut the occasional apple or plastic wrap.

6-It looks like the Fiddleback Forge Production Runt and the included pocket sheath may be perfect.

7-Other contenders include BRKT City Knife, Little Creek, and Mini Canadian. They will fit in the Allegheny but may be too long.

Do any of you have other suggestions or opinions on these choices?

Thanks in advance.

Based on all your requirements I would say you already nialied it with the production Runt. I might also suggest though the L.T. Wright Patriot or an ESEE Izula (or Candiru). Both would be great choices,seem to be offered by that vendor and would save you a little coin.

ETA: actually, looks like you could get all three of my suggestions and still have money left over vs the Runt. Not knocking the Fiddleback as I have one of the production Bushfingers but that three awesome knives for the price of one value would be hard to pass up.

Last edited:
Hey Mike,
I received a Lon Humphrey Whitetail from KSF a few weeks ago and I'm in love. It fits the pocono pocket sheath, which is smaller than the allegheny.
The cool thing about them is that, being hand made, each one is different and KSF has measured every single one. So when you search you can pick your exact size and shape. They vary between 5 and 6 inches.
I really can't speak highly enough of this knife. I hardly notice the sheath in my jeans and use it all the time.
Not sure how you feel about 1095 steel, but so far I've been impressed by it. INSANELY easy to get shaving sharp.

That's my 2 cents! Happy hunting!

Also, LT Wright makes some nice EDC fixed blades sold through KSF.

The AG Russell Woodswalker hits your specs and toughness rating, and has two carry methods available to boot. There's also the AG Russell Hunter Scalpel, which is a bit shorter.

Great knives but he is specifically looking at Knives Ship Free since he has credit there.

Any knife might be "scary" if you entertain clients. Maybe try a ESEE Candiru $41 from the closeout section? Tad over 5 inches overall, comes with cordura sheath and they have orange handles $17 you can add too. You could find a leather sheath from KSF too I'm sure.

There are also some BRK in the closeout section, some Bravo Micros at 4.9 in the $95-125 range.

I would have a hard time spending $175 on the FF Runt for an office knife (I keep trying to tell myself it's your $).

Don't feel you have to spend all your credit on the office knife, you can always get TWO!!! :D

That Bravo micro in s35vn would be a great choice. Derek has them marked down to a great price too. The sheath that comes with that knife is OK for a pocket carry, I use the same one on my modified IMP. For a pocket carry I think one of his leather pocket sheaths would be better. http://www.knivesshipfree.com/pocket-sheaths/

The KR tick bite is a neat little knife but not the value for the blade that the micro is.

Probably below your budget but the most discreet fixed package I know of in your size range and specs is a Buck CSAR-T Liason.

I can tell you it's a suprisingly versatile knife and makes a very stealthy horizontal carry rig with the addition of two zip-ties due to its no-fat sheath. It will surprise you in every way.

If you need more handle it's a good one for para or leather wrap.

This will be used in an office setting so it has to be discrete. I pulled out a mini griptillian once and was asked if it was for protection from our clients. I said it was a small knife not a shotgun. The knife was for paper and plastic only. I did not convince her.... Anyway

How about a SAK mini champ, better and more discrete than pulling out a fixed blade in a office setting . . .

http://www.knivesshipfree.com/arno-bernard-knives-20th-anniversary-bush-baby-warthog-ivory/

If I was in your position, this is what I would get...

Definitely not a threatening design, beautifully done, well priced, just under a 3" blade, under 6" overall, good steel, anniversary piece, exotic handle, and c'mon, who doesn't want to add and Arno Bernard to their collection? All that together definitely make it more of a conversation piece then a "he's got a weapon" piece.

I'm not currently in the market for a small fixed blade or i'd pick one up myself.

Last edited:
It seems the esee candiru would probably be a good discreet nonthreatening knife.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I was not aware of all the excellent choices out there. I suspect that I will wind up with at least two of the knives suggested. Look for a review in the near future.

Mike

To me the fiddleback runt makes a lot of sense considering the arthritis. Some of the knives that were suggested have very little to no girth in the handle which im sure would present some discomfort for you fiddleback forge is known for how amazingly comfy their handles are

Brian

Back