Looking for design advice

weo

Hello all. I hope the lifestyle changes aren't too stressful for anyone.

I'm looking for advice on what's the best type of sheath for this 3 1/2" blade:20200526_075503.jpg

I'm planning on making this my personal EDC, and have experience making leather sheaths for my forged blades, but I make mostly kitchen knives, and have only made about 10 hunters/skinners/EDCs in my life. I'd like to try a horizontal carry for this, but would also like to avoid using a metal snap if possible. Avoiding the use of a metal fastener is more important than the horizontal carry, however.
Any suggestions?
Thank you and stay safe.

If it were me, i would design a pouch style sheath with the knife well over half the handle length inside the sheath. No retention strap would be necessary. This style sheath is not ideal for horizontal carry.
A 45 degree pancake sheath would also be a very good choice and give you at least a little horizontal. In fact, given your criteria, the pancake style would probably be the best choice. Check out Dave's (Horsewright) pancake styles. Many are posted on this very forum. Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply and advice, Paul. I'll check out Dave's thread again and try his pancake style again. My first attempt on another knife didn't go as well as I like.

I'll probably also do a pouch style as well. Doing 2 will give me a chance to practice my leather carving some more;).

edc1.jpg

My horizontal clip on.
Super easy to make as it's a one size fits all. It's thin, so the retention is by friction. I used stiff 8-9oz leather.
The width is going to depend on size of your scales and how well you want the sheath to hold it.
I deliberately make them square so that it's not instantly recognizable as a knife sheath. If you look good, you can see that the top is slightly larger than the bottom, that's to make up for the stretch when it's holding a knife.
The next one I make for larger knives will have a button strap on the bottom to wrap on the belt for holding a heavier blade straight.
I have about five or six blades that rotate using this same sheath all about the size of your knife.

IMG_1002.jpg

Last edited:
On your blade I'd make sure that heel isn't sharp and then it should work great in a pancake. What problems did ya have first time around on the pancake? Beatimous knife btw, whats the handle wood?

My horizontal clip on.
That's an idea, thanks.
but would also like to avoid using a metal snap if possible
I probably should have been more general, I'm trying to avoid any metal in the sheath.

On your blade I'd make sure that heel isn't sharp and then it should work great in a pancake. What problems did ya have first time around on the pancake?
Thanks for the advice, it's not 'sharpened' sharp, but the heel does come to a point. You're saying I'll have to round that? Any suggestions on how much (what size radius?)
The sheath doesn't sit flush with the belt. It's this sheath you helped me with last summer: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...w-sheath-design-for-me.1656034/#post-19176701

Beatimous knife btw, whats the handle wood?
Thanks, Dave. The handle is big-leaf maple from the same trees as almost all my other handles, but on this one I wanted to try an un-stabilized piece using boiled linseed oil. Because this was an experiment (and the blade was originally this one: https://bladeforums.com/threads/looking-for-profile-advice.1724694/#post-19706501) is why I'm turning it into my EDC.

Oh I 'd say just round er off some. Otherwise that will eat into your welt every time you draw the knife.

On that other sheath if you make the tabs for the slots stick out further on both sides they'll mold down so it sits flush. Change of pattern.

On that other sheath if you make the tabs for the slots stick out further on both sides they'll mold down so it sits flush. Change of pattern.
Would you recommend this instead of what I was thinking, which was to make the top (outside?) piece a little wider to allow it to more fully wrap around the blade more and allow the back (inside?) piece (and slots) stay flatter against the body?
AlPG6Gt.jpg

Would you recommend this instead of what I was thinking, which was to make the top (outside?) piece a little wider to allow it to more fully wrap around the blade more and allow the back (inside?) piece (and slots) stay flatter against the body?
View attachment 1348105

Yeah I would. If those slot tabs stick out further then they will shape over to the shape of your body. They have to be a little longer than the thickness of the handle. They are pretty thick too for their length so that doesn't help either. I will sometimes skive down those tabs so they are thinner too. Helps with break in. I also arrange the welt so its not in the tab just in the seam where it needs to be and sive the outside edge down to zero.

I'm thinking something like this. Do y'all have any other thoughts?
View attachment 1348271

Thats looking good.

That particular knife I might bring the welt up on the top side too, to the slot.

I might bring the welt up on the top side too
Thanks, Dave. That's what I ended up doing yesterday. (I was impatient, but I justified it because it was in the 80s here yesterday and I figured it was a good day to spend inside in the shade doing leatherwork instead of being up and about.) I ended up doing a full welt, skiving/tapering down from the tip. I'll post pics later today when it's presentable.

I'm thinking about doing another one to correct the aesthetic flaws of this one and if I do, I'm thinking about ending the welt at the belt loop on the spine side and 1/2 way into the loop on the edge side.

Well, here it is as finished as it's going to get. It's quite a bit darker tan than I had hoped, it's been a while since I've used this dye, I'm glad I didn't use the brown.
20200529_095314.jpg

I'm going to use it for a while before making a new one to clean up all the flaws.

Way to turn an unfortunate event into a blessing in disguise.

Thanks Paul. Not customer worthy, but it'll definitely make a functional prototype.

Here's a pic of how it sits on my backside:
View attachment 1349729

Excellent!! Really like the tooling too. Wearing it for a while is a good idea. Think on what could be improved when doing so then fix it in the next. You must be way more flexible than me! I'd have that behind the left hip.

Way to turn an unfortunate event into a blessing in disguise.
Thanks David. If only I could apply that to my life now....or, on a more hopeful note, perhaps I'm just not yet willing/able to see behind the mask...

You must be way more flexible than me! I'd have that behind the left hip.
Thanks for the comments and encouragement, Dave.

It's reachable there, but later in the day I moved it to the left front and think that's where I'm going to wear it. I was trying to see how it feels on the back, and my housemate was available to take a pic. I'd have to do a mirror image of it to wear on the left hip and I might just do that (more practice, right?)

Thanks David. If only I could apply that to my life now....or, on a more hopeful note, perhaps I'm just not yet willing/able to see behind the mask...

I don't know the situation, so I realize I risk overstepping, but I do sincerely believe good can be taken out of anything... though sometimes it requires great courage and creativity to find it. I pray you find your good.

Back