1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Week 42 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    an Kizer Vanguard V4516A1 Domin Folding Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Looking for EDC folder w/reinforced rear bolster for striking

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by mal316, May 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. mal316

mal316

May 27, 2019
    I've been looking awhile now for an EDC folder, mid-to-robust ruggedness, with a strong or even reinforced rear bolster. Like a pommel, but not rounded, at least not in the traditional sense. This end would be for striking at attackers, the folded knife fully gripped in hand. If that doesn't ward off the attackers, the knife would come into play - at least in my fevered imagination. In terms of the folder itself, 3 to 4 inch blade, on the thicker side, good quality. I favor clip points, but not adverse to tanto or drop. Back to the rear bolster of the knife - I've looked at rescue knives with the backend glass breaker, but those are typically pointy projections. If I'm smacking an attacker with the backend of my knife, I don't want to injure them, just want to make them go away before I have to unleash the blade. Finally, the knife should be an all-around good EDC, as well. Ideas? Thx!

eveled likes this.
  2. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    Buck 110.

Zieg

3. ScooterG

ScooterG You mean Ireland? Yeah, it’s mine. Gold Member

Mar 15, 2016
    Cold Steel AD-10. 3 of the connection points for the knife are at the tail end. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AF and sliceofaloha like this.
  4. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Buck 110 makes a fine striking weapon.

Hickory n steel likes this.
  5. mal316

mal316

May 27, 2019
    Thanks, Zieg. I have a fondness for Buck knives, as I'm sure I carried one as a kid (or a knock-off). It's a beautiful knife, but not what I was looking for.

The Zieg likes this.
  6. mal316

mal316

May 27, 2019
    Thanks Eveled. It definitely looks like it could server that purpose. But see my reply to Zieg.

eveled likes this.
  7. kvaughn

kvaughn Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2005
    This probably should be in Prac-Tac.---KV

craytab, DocJD and LEGION 12 like this.
  8. mal316

mal316

May 27, 2019
    Thanks ScooterG. This suggestion got me looking all over the web. I liked the striking pommel from the picture above - turns out I like the entire knife quite a bit. It was more expensive than I was looking for (180 most places), but I found one for 150 on drop.com. They're sold out of this drop right now, but I just got in. Looks like an awesome, well made knife.

ScooterG likes this.
  9. mal316

mal316

May 27, 2019
    Thanks, KV. New to BF, didn't know that thread existed. Will look for it.

I had to search for it. Buried under "Activities, Training & Skills Development".

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  10. kvaughn

kvaughn Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2005
    disregard

mal316 likes this.
  11. jlauffer

jlauffer Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Cold Steel AK47?

CS AK47.jpg

insta9ves, DocJD and eveled like this.
  12. Velitrius

Velitrius Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Benchmade Bailout has an extended metal pommel / lanyard jobbie that looks like it would fit the bill.

I think the Boker Mini Kwaiken makes a superb kubotan. Take a look at that one.

Filthyj24 likes this.
  13. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    I'll 2nd the Cold Steel AK-47 for a true "striking pommel " . Actually a great EDC folder if "tactical " is OK for you . Good slicer , great steel , best lock available . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

[​IMG]

mal316 and jlauffer like this.
  14. Comeuppance

Comeuppance Fixed Blade EDC Emisssary Gold Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Just FYI: A non-fantasy-based use of a striking point is to slam it through the bottom of a box to break it down. Even without a pointed end, the force alone tends to punch through tape and allow you to easily pull the flaps apart.

15. taste.blade

taste.blade Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 8, 2016
    IMG_0598.jpg

I know you mentioned wanting a folder but I've yet to face a single attacker with this on my hip.

eveled likes this.
  16. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    :) Seems like it's de rigueur for any thread involving folder SD for somebody to have to mention the superiority of fixed blades and guns .

Let's consider that done ! :rolleyes:

Filthyj24 likes this.
  17. Filthyj24

Filthyj24

Jan 5, 2016
    Benchmade Bailout seems fit the bill. That being said, I wouldn't try bringing a knife into play in a fight unless it was a lethal force situation. You may only intended to use the pommel, but you also run the risk of giving an attacker a knife if they were previously unarmed. Also, for defensive knife use fixed > folder...but that's an entirely different conversation. [​IMG] [​IMG]

taste.blade likes this.
  18. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    Ha ! Beat yas to it this time . I knew it was comin' . ;)

Filthyj24 likes this.
  19. Filthyj24

Filthyj24

Jan 5, 2016
    Lol apparently you beat me to it. It's just such a silly idea to think in a high stress situation someone is going to be able to access and deploy a folding knife to fend off an attacker. Things happen fast, the less moving parts the better. That being said, I've been carrying my Bailout on duty as a beater and have absolutely thumped on the thing. I have yet to to find a use for the pommel but I don't mind having it. The 3V is on the softer side but I don't mind that in a work knife that gets abused.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  20. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    Sorry , but this really is more for the "Practical Tactical " subforum , but there are some potential problems in drawing a knife to use as a short stick /kubaton .

The knife might be seen as a lethal weapon being introduced into a fight , even if still folded . So unless that is justified , I'd probably NOT .

Might be worth it to train and carry something "less lethal " , also . Have more options rather than escalate hostilities .

Filthyj24 likes this.