Looking for ergonomics!

os_tempore

Wargrip & Cerakote
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Which blades do you consider as the best with respect solely to ergonomics of the grip?

Edit: I'm looking for what you find subjectively comfortable. I'm looking to get 3 or 4 knives as my samples.

Last edited:
Which blades do you consider as the best with respect solely to ergonomics of the grip?

You are being too vague.

What type of grip?
What type of work?
What type of body/hand/height/unique situations or disabilities?
What type of carry/work environment?

-All kinds of different circumstances I take into consideration.

Are you looking for fixed blades or folding knives? When it comes to folding knives, I personally think that the Buck 110/112 has the best ergos. It is a nice wide grip that fits the hand well, it is wide enough that you can really bear down on it and it distributes the force evenly across the hand without creating any hotspots because it is well rounded and smooth. The downside is that they are heavy, so the 110LT might be a better choice. Of course then it gets into personal preference, do you want a pocket clip? What Lock type do you prefer? etc. etc.
Everything is a trade off, when you improve something in one area, it usually takes away from something else. This is why it is hard to pick a "best"
Some are great for some things, not so much for others. Depends on what you like and what you will be using it for.

Kabar USMC or any other knife with a fat stacked leather handle really.
For a folder, I like a Buck 110.
I have long fingers so chunkier handles feel best to me.

Opinions about ergonomics are going to vary based on hand size, how you're using the knife, etc. A few that come to mind for me are the Oz Roosevelt, BBK Raptor, Shirogorov Neon, and CRK Sebenza/Inkosi.

You are being too vague.

What type of grip?
What type of work?
What type of body/hand/height/unique situations or disabilities?
What type of carry/work environment?

-All kinds of different circumstances I take into consideration.

I've edited my post for clarification.

In a regular grip, the Cold Steel AD-10 might have the most comfortable and secure grip that I've tried. It's shaped naturally to the hand and contoured, as well as locked in. The Lionsteel TM-1 is very similar, and has the added benefit of being contoured from the front to back. Ken Onion has also done a lot of knives with similar ergos.

I'd also say the Chris Reeve Umnumzaan stands out for versatility. It's not the most comfortable in any position, but it works remarkably well in multiple positions and you come to appreciate all the minute details in the shape of the handle and blade as you start using it differently.

I also really like Pohl Force's ergos; the way the blade is staggered relative to the handle on my Mike One feels really natural and locked in.

Emerson is known for his ergos as well. He doesn't really do fancy contouring etc, but he has a lot of handle designs out there and does a great job at shaping flat slabs. If you get one of the Kershaw collabs, the price to try it out is pretty low.

As mentioned above, Spyderco has a reputation for knives that look strange but fit the hand perfectly. I also agree with the sentiment about the Cold Steel AD10..

I’d second (or third as it may be) Spyderco’s ergonomics and polarizing looks. The Manix is my favorite for ergos but they’re all pretty good.

Opinel has a comfortable and neutral handle. Size 9 or larger, for me.

Victorinox has variations of the same shape in various thicknesses and sizes and most find one that is comfortable for them.

Edit: I'm looking for what you find subjectively comfortable. I'm looking to get 3 or 4 knives as my samples.

As grip material or grip shape?
Folder or fixed blade?

I'm a fixie guy and, despite the fact that I own a few relatively expensive fixies, I'm not necessarily an expensive fixie "fanboy". That being posted...

The first fixie I ever held that felt as though it was laser-fitted to my hand was the Busse Hell Razor 2. Every time I hold that knife, it feels like it was custom made for me.

Nathan and Jo Carothers have also produced two knives that I feel were tailored for me...the Super Duty Field Knife (*SDFK) and the DEK2. I can't imagine that their other offerings are any different.

I have heard quite a few YouTubers state that the scales on the BK (*Becker) 2,7,9, and 10 HAVE to be replaced, which I don't necessarily agree with. Despite that, the "TKC" scales for those particular knives are quite amazing. The same goes for the "3D" scales that ESEE offers. They are GLORIOUS.

As far as folders, the ZT 0308s and CS SR1 have treated me well.

For reference, I wear medium-sized gloves.

Happy hunting! 🥂

I am admittedly still in the honeymoon phase, however the Carothers HDFK has the best handle ergos of any knife Ive owned / used.

Back