Looking for ergonomics!

Some good points to consider that NTM recently made. His comment was based on a CRK hollow handle but it can apply elsewhere..
When it comes to grip and traction.

The first thing is the shape.
The second thing is the material.
The third thing is the texture.

A straight, round, knurled metal handle is not good.

We can appreciate it as fine machining and an interesting knife. But functionally I don't like it.

If we are going to argue that it is also a fighting knife, that knife needs to lock into your hand and you need to know where the edge and tip is without looking at it. That knife can spin in your hand and you won't even know what direction the edge is pointing.

Fixed production knives: Becker Knives have amazing ergos, whatever material is used.
Custom fixed: Thanks :) - A handle that is smooth like a palm stone (Handschmeichler) and won't fatigue your hand whatever you cut.

Folder: I don't use folders in such a capacity that I'd need to worry about ergos that much, but if I look at my Spyderco Delica, I can whittle with it for hours without an issue.

Looking for the ergonomic grip shape. Fixed or folder.
May I ask what you are DOING with them?
Just coping other people's designs, or?

Some people are of the thought that "everything's already been done and created before" "I can borrow from this and borrow from that"

*I personally disagree with That.
I Only started making knives, because I didn't like the handles of the knives that I was buying.
I wanted my handles a certain way.
If other manufactures or makers were making what I wanted, I would of Gladly just bought theirs..... They didn't exist, so I make my Own.
I didn't start off wanting to make knives. I just keep making them because people want me to.

You are asking people what they want, you should be asking what YOU want?
Why do You feel that something is missing? Make That.... and I bet Others may agree with you, too.

-If you were to be Just coping other peoples work....? (not saying you are)
your customers should just go to the source. The original source.

What can you bring that's DIFFERENT?
Right?
Or am I missing something in your question?

-If you want to make something that feels good. Others have suggested grabbing some clay, wrap it on a paint stirrer, or popsicle sticks. Gently squeeze it, move it around into different grip styles that you want. Pass it back and forth between hands. Put it aside, Let it dry.
That is now the Perfect grip shape for Your hands. Measure, copy That piece, make your handles.

Thanks.

My two favorite fixed-blade handles are on (1) the Condor Bushlore, and (2) a group of knives made by Blackjack in the late 80's and early 90's, and also on some of the copies. Here is an example, a Blackjack (OEM'ed by Knifeware Inc.) "Grunt":
eRasSmX.png

I have personally found Bill Siegle's knives to have some of the best ergos I've handled. Red Beard Blades are also top notch. For a production fixed blade Esee is solid.

May I ask what you are DOING with them?
Just coping other people's designs, or?

Some people are of the thought that "everything's already been done and created before" "I can borrow from this and borrow from that"

*I personally disagree with That.
I Only started making knives, because I didn't like the handles of the knives that I was buying.
I wanted my handles a certain way.
If other manufactures or makers were making what I wanted, I would of Gladly just bought theirs..... They didn't exist, so I make my Own.
I didn't start off wanting to make knives. I just keep making them because people want me to.

You are asking people what they want, you should be asking what YOU want?
Why do You feel that something is missing? Make That.... and I bet Others may agree with you, too.

-If you were to be Just coping other peoples work....? (not saying you are)
your customers should just go to the source. The original source.

What can you bring that's DIFFERENT?
Right?
Or am I missing something in your question?

-If you want to make something that feels good. Others have suggested grabbing some clay, wrap it on a paint stirrer, or popsicle sticks. Gently squeeze it, move it around into different grip styles that you want. Pass it back and forth between hands. Put it aside, Let it dry.
That is now the Perfect grip shape for Your hands. Measure, copy That piece, make your handles.

Thanks.

Quite the diatribe. If you look at my sub, I don't make knives. I do cerakote and Wargrip.

Quite the diatribe. If you look at my sub, I don't make knives. I do cerakote and Wargrip.

Nope..... Not bitter. I was just asking a question.
That was post #25 and your request for knowing what was comfortable still was unsure of to (me)

Online discussions are sometimes incomplete, and misunderstood. I like to ask a lot of questions so I know what's going on.
Open dialogue

I hope you find what you are looking for, Good Luck!!! :D

Nope..... Not bitter. I was just asking a question.
That was post #25 and your request for knowing what was comfortable still was unsure of to (me)

Online discussions are sometimes incomplete, and misunderstood. I like to ask a lot of questions so I know what's going on.
Open dialogue

I hope you find what you are looking for, Good Luck!!! :D

I'm not worried about it. I've been getting good suggestions from everybody. Just to note, I didn't call you bitter, just mentioned it was quite the diatribe with a pretty intense line of questioning and soft accusations from a simple post. I'm really just looking for what people find comfortable in the hand so I can get a few knives to use as samples.

Helle knives have excellent handles. They are very well shaped for the hand, and the wood they use is good (especially in cold weather), and are just smooth enough to offer a good grip without hotspots.

I prefer neautral "blocky" handles without much contouring myself. I like my pocket knives with straight rectangular handles and my fixies the same way, but I also like a nice simple puukko handle provided the radii aren't too sharp.

My two favorite fixed-blade handles are on (1) the Condor Bushlore, and (2) a group of knives made by Blackjack in the late 80's and early 90's, and also on some of the copies. Here is an example, a Blackjack (OEM'ed by Knifeware Inc.) "Grunt":
eRasSmX.png
Follow-up:

Here are all three, including the one above:

Blackjack Blade Brothers.jpg

Fixed: Bark River (coke bottle)
Folder: CRK Inkosi, Small Sebenza, Spyderco Native, Sage, Chaparral, Military, Chief, PITS.

Ergonomics is more than just about being comfortable or neutral.

Ripped from Wikipedia:
Ergonomics, also known as human factors or human factors engineering (HFE), is the application of psychological and physiological principles to the engineering and design of products, processes, and systems. Primary goals of human factors engineering are to reduce human error, increase productivity and system availability, and enhance safety, health and comfort with a specific focus on the interaction between the human and equipment.[1]

Ask Sal Glesser Sal Glesser how he designs the “cockpit” of his knives. There is careful study of how far the center of the opening hole is from the center of the pivot, or how much above it is relative to the pivot as examples.

Back