Looking for thoughts on strong folders

I'm am not rich guy but I like quality I'm looking for a strong reliable folder I don't care about weight but it has to have a big handle I have big hands my glove size XL and they barely fit it has got to last/standup for anywhere between 3 to 4 years I buy a good expensive hard use knife because I save up little at a time.
I will be honest I'm not Leo or military but I live with a knife on me for example I have a piranha fingering on me right now it's my house carry knife I'm always using my knives I do collect but I'm not looking for some prize showpiece like a sebenza I get it its a great knife just not for my needs

So basically my point it has to be there when I need it. It will go through torture.

Anywhere between $0 to $300.(((((AND MADE IN AMERICA)))))

P.S don't start crap about the sebenza comment

Some ideas:
Spyderco Military
Spyderco Tuff - Not made in the USA but worth consideration
ZT 030X
ZT 055X
ZT 056X
Emersons
Benchmade Contego
DPX H.E.S.T. - Not super large but I have pretty big hands and it works for me.

And the Sebenza is not just a prize show piece - to some it is. But it actually was designed to use and many people(like myself) EDC and use their Sebenza's.

The standard Sebenza is a great hard use knife. I think it will handle what you have in mind better than you think. There's a reason it's name is "Work". But if you just don't like it then I concur with ZT.

Benchmade Adamas 275, and the large Kabar Dozier folding hunter come to mind.., mainly because they're sitting here next to me! Lol

Don't laugh.... The Cold Steel Hatamoto is one helluva strong knife. Its big. Its thick. One solid mutha. I know, I know.... CS sells a lotta crappy knives - but this isn't one of them. I've gotta lotta BMs & SOGS & stuff, but the Hatamoto takes a lickin' & keeps on tickin' with the best of them. I put a convex edge on mine & really like the thing. Got it used on this forum years ago for $90

CS60H.jpg

Have you looked at the buck 110? It's a great knife.
Hogue also makes some really great knives. The Ex01 is awesome and very strong. The build quality is spectacular especially considering the relatively low price and they're made in America. Looks like a fit to me :)

If I were you, I'd purchase the following combo:

(1) Purchase a Spyderco Gayle Bradley as your EDC and medium-to-heavy use blade ($115). Quite frankly, for a hard use knife, there is currently no better deal than a Gayle Bradley. The fit and finish is astounding, CPM-M4 cuts like a dream and holds an insane edge, and the carbon fiber scales are the ideal balance of smooth and grippy. I also wear XL gloves and find that the Gayle Bradley fits my hand perfectly.

(2) Purcahse a Cold Steel Large Voyager (clip point) as your beater-blade ($40). The AUS-8 holds a decent edge, the handle is very large and grippy, and the triad lock can take enormous amounts of abuse.

Neither blade is made in America; however, the Gayle Bradley uses USA materials and has a better fit and finish than just about every production knife coming out of the USA (excluding CRK).

High quality materials... large folders built like a tank... great value (relatively inexpensive for what you're getting)... made in USA. Sounds like you're looking for a ZT. As it turns out, kershawguy, a dealer on the forums, has some fantastic pricing on several model ZT's right now.

I'd take a close look at the 0300 series, 0550, and 0560. The 0200 also looks pretty good, but it is a liner lock (vs. titanium framelock on the others). Nothing wrong with the linerlock, but if you're looking at very hard use, the added security of the framelock could be of benefit (your grip reinforces holding the lock in place).

I'm curious why it needs to be made in America (fellow American asking)?

What if the knife is made in America but the manufacturer has other knives made in other counties (employing cheap foreign labor instead of Americans)?

What if the knife is made in America but the steel was made in another country?

What if the knife was assembled in America but the parts were made in other countries?

What if the knife is made in America but the company is partly owned (or majority owned) by foreign investors?

How does one know for sure that they have a 100% American made knife? And does it really matter?

I would imagine that many things you own and rely on everyday in your life were made in other countries. I would wager that your computer was made in China.

As far as a knife recommendation, I would suggest a look at the TOPS Magnum, but it's made in Italy.

What if the knife is made in America but the manufacturer has other knives made in other counties (employing cheap foreign labor instead of Americans)?

What if the knife was assembled in America but the parts were made in other countries?

What if the knife is made in America but the company is partly owned (or majority owned) by foreign investors?

How does one know for sure that they have a 100% American made knife? And does it really matter?

I would imagine that many things you own and rely on everyday in your life were made in other countries. I would wager that your computer was made in China.

As far as a knife recommendation, I would suggest a look at the TOPS Magnum, but it's made in Italy.

Don't think he was asking to start a debate on the Made in USA tag.

I'm am not rich guy but I like quality I'm looking for a strong reliable folder I don't care about weight but it has to have a big handle I have big hands my glove size XL and they barely fit it has got to last/standup for anywhere between 3 to 4 years I buy a good expensive hard use knife because I save up little at a time.
I will be honest I'm not Leo or military but I live with a knife on me for example I have a piranha fingering on me right now it's my house carry knife I'm always using my knives I do collect but I'm not looking for some prize showpiece like a sebenza I get it its a great knife just not for my needs

So basically my point it has to be there when I need it. It will go through torture.

Anywhere between $0 to $300.(((((AND MADE IN AMERICA)))))

P.S don't start crap about the sebenza comment

As for the OP, I was looking real hard at the Benchmade Adamas. It looks fairly stout and seems to be made up of good material. Plus, I have yet to go to awry with Benchmade's quality.

Another option is the Spyderco Military. I have one and was able to use it ,without issue, with gloves on.

There are more considerations to strength. Look into having healthy helpings of both strength and reliability. I have absolutely no problem opening and closing my Para Military 2 by Spyderco even with a gloved hand. Same with my Strider SnG. Both are USA made, both are very good well made knives and geared for sportsman using them, law enforcement using them and so on down the line, fireman, EMT's and more. The size of these seems to me to be where I'd look personally but if bigger the Military frame lock by Spyderco is fairly good although in my opinion if there are inherent weak areas its the tips on the Spydies which are much more delicate than the thicker Strider. Another fine USA made folder is the ZT 551 and the ZT550 both of which seem to me to fit really well into the category of folder you want and the price point you wish to stick with. I am fairly sure the BUCK 110 will likely be mentioned at least once but not having read the thread I'll just offer that because its USA made, tis tough as nails and I've seen more than a handful here in my shop beat to hell but still functioning just fine and still asking for more daily so in my opinion its worthy of at least a look see. I can open and close my Buck110 and 112 Ranger one handed and have done that pretty much using the same method as Spyderco fans call the Spydie Drop or hole drop for tip down carry. Many places offer quick draw sheaths specifically designed just for the Buck 110 also so it can be pulled from the sheath and opened at the same moment. A one movement opening much like Wave operation only off the sheath. Anyway, that's where I'd start.

Agreed.

When I wear Gloves and cut ~~ 9 out of 10 times I use a Para 2 or a Mili. of some sort and have yet to have a problem with either of them.!
They are my go to workers.*

True killgar my computer,iPod,phone, alot of the stuff i use in an average day is from another country

I believe you get what you pay for on somethings and and best quality knives I've owned where USA made.

Back