Recommendation? Looking to add to my 940 EDC

Hello Bladeforums!

Long time reader, first time poster. This community is great and I have learned more than I ever thought I could related to knives. So much in fact, my head spins at times.

I have currently EDC'd a 940 for the last 13+ years. Pretty much worn all the green off the edges, blade is still in good shape. My second knife, I use in my backcountry or wheeling packs is the original Benchmade Rukus 610. This thing is a beast and I sometimes EDC it with little to no fanfare but mostly its my blade for being way out there, in case I need it for spending the night unplanned.

Looking to add something in the middle between the two. Probably a 3.5-4" blade while keeping the closed handle under 5". I've looked at a ton of knives on the forum and on YouTube. I'm leaning towards the Umnumzaan (Drop point) or the Wayfarer 247 (Drop point vs Harpoon vs Sheepscliffe). I really like the look of the Swish but during my conversations with Olamic they persuaded me away from the Swish, they said it was less of and EDC knife and more "Art/Tactical".

I'm open to other options as well, I can push the budget, but I'm not sure I would appreciate the benefits and start to feel the diminishing returns vs price and worry about using it. I've internet looked at the Koenig Arius and Shirogorov F95T. Arius starts to get up in price for what I liked. The F95T, while I really liked the milled handles, I kind of felt like buying American and the warranty being out of country bugged me. Never had a flipper, not really a fidget person. I do open and close the 940 for fun, but never more than a few times in a row.

I am a daily carry/user, I would not categorize myself as a hard use or abuser of knives. No prybar or screwdriver work from my knife. Usual home and garage stuff, boxes, straps, whittling, car hoses, and camping. I doubt I will need it for defense but it doesn't hurt to have that function. I wear an XL glove.

I’m looking for something special, I plan on carrying it and using it for at least the next 10 years (probably more). I don’t mind needing to sharpen a knife. I live in a small town and can only "try on" Spyderco's, Benchmades, and ZT's. Nearest location to "try on" a CRK or Olamic is 8 hours away.

Buy once, cry once.

Thanks,

Troutrunner

leaning towards the Umnumzaan
I’m looking for something special, I plan on carrying it and using it for at least the next 10 years (probably more)
Nearest location to "try on" a CRK . . . Buy once, cry once.

I've put off CRK for a couple of years. I ended up not making the trip to handle one and just jumped in with both feet and ordered. I mean how "bad" could it be right ?
I just got a large 21.
It is better than I have read here that it would be (sharper and better edge geometry for one thing). It's flawless . . . meaning there are no flaws . . . and if there is one thing I am good at it is finding flaws in tools and machines (and usually then having to fix them and HOPEFULLY getting paid to do it}.

CRK :thumbsup::thumbsup:
I'm not saying it is the perfect knife for me but the over all performance is impressive and the execution (fit and finish) is, in my opinion and experience, all that you could hope for and more.
PS : my knife was made this last December so recent production is rockin' !

Last edited:
Hello Bladeforums!

Long time reader, first time poster. This community is great and I have learned more than I ever thought I could related to knives. So much in fact, my head spins at times.

I have currently EDC'd a 940 for the last 13+ years. Pretty much worn all the green off the edges, blade is still in good shape. My second knife, I use in my backcountry or wheeling packs is the original Benchmade Rukus 610. This thing is a beast and I sometimes EDC it with little to no fanfare but mostly its my blade for being way out there, in case I need it for spending the night unplanned.

Looking to add something in the middle between the two. Probably a 3.5-4" blade while keeping the closed handle under 5". I've looked at a ton of knives on the forum and on YouTube. I'm leaning towards the Umnumzaan (Drop point) or the Wayfarer 247 (Drop point vs Harpoon vs Sheepscliffe). I really like the look of the Swish but during my conversations with Olamic they persuaded me away from the Swish, they said it was less of and EDC knife and more "Art/Tactical".

I'm open to other options as well, I can push the budget, but I'm not sure I would appreciate the benefits and start to feel the diminishing returns vs price and worry about using it. I've internet looked at the Koenig Arius and Shirogorov F95T. Arius starts to get up in price for what I liked. The F95T, while I really liked the milled handles, I kind of felt like buying American and the warranty being out of country bugged me. Never had a flipper, not really a fidget person. I do open and close the 940 for fun, but never more than a few times in a row.

I am a daily carry/user, I would not categorize myself as a hard use or abuser of knives. No prybar or screwdriver work from my knife. Usual home and garage stuff, boxes, straps, whittling, car hoses, and camping. I doubt I will need it for defense but it doesn't hurt to have that function. I wear an XL glove.

I’m looking for something special, I plan on carrying it and using it for at least the next 10 years (probably more). I don’t mind needing to sharpen a knife. I live in a small town and can only "try on" Spyderco's, Benchmades, and ZT's. Nearest location to "try on" a CRK or Olamic is 8 hours away.

Buy once, cry once.

Thanks,

Troutrunner

Just do the right thing and get the Umnumzaan.

CRKs could literally last several lifetimes. Olamics are nice too but CRK is on another level in my opinion.

I really like the look of the Swish but during my conversations with Olamic they persuaded me away from the Swish, they said it was less of and EDC knife and more "Art/Tactical".
I haven’t handled the Swish, but it would be a shame to let some one else’s idea about what is an “edc-able” knife keep you from carrying something you really dig. Much bigger than your 940, but I would think you’d have a pretty good idea what you’d be getting into from your 610.

Big Arius fanboy, here. That drop shut, thumb guillotine action is just so addicting, compared to pushing the blade shut with your finger, caveman style, on my Olamic 247. ;)

I’d give the nod on ergonomics to the Koenig, as well. XL gloves here, too. 247 is no slouch here, but there’s just a little more handle under the 2nd and 3rd finger on the Arius, and the contour across the handle is just about perfection, as far as my hand is concerned, at least.
KBJoSQa.jpg

9kA9LyG.jpg

I do much prefer the Arius pocket clip to the 247, as well. I hook my index finger under the clip and pull it away from the knife to coax it over the pocket seam with the 247, while the Arius pushes right over the seam with the ease of a much cheaper spring steel clip.

I’ve got several Spyders and ZTs, fewer Benchmades, but I’d be happy to throw up some more comparison shots. Manix 2? 0562?

Thanks everyone for the rapid feedback. I had a feeling the Zaan was going to get the early picks. I really like the way the styling will just stay relevant for years to come. I still like the harpoon over the tanto, but truth be told, I'd be happy with either.

Thanks to BigKurtHaze for mentioning that I shouldn't let someone else tell me what a knifes role is. Makes good sense. I assume that is a PM2 sandwiched between the 247 and Arius. Like the pic because I can handle PM2's for sizing.

With that all being said, the Swish is back in the running. Will be interested to hear more from others in the daytime.

Welcome to the forums Trout!

I can't help much. The knives you are talking about are out of my price range. In 10 years of being on this forum, I don't recall anything bad being said about a Chris Reeve knife....:p

I really liked the ZT 850 that I handled. That or the ZT 640 would be a great less expensive option.

In my opinion the Zaan is less gimmicky and far more pleasant to carry in the pocket.

All are outstanding knives but if I was going with one to be my “the one” knife I would care very much about how well it pockets.

Hello Bladeforums!
I really like the look of the Swish but during my conversations with Olamic they persuaded me away from the Swish, they said it was less of and EDC knife and more "Art/Tactical".

FWIW, I haven't found the funky up-swept blade on the Swish has hampered use much in practice. I carry a Swish frequently and have cut all sorts of everything with mine without issue. It's not ideal for food prep cutting board work if you're holding it by the handle, but when I've used it that way the odd time I've just choked up and used a pinch grip on the blade.

The Wayfarer/247 is the only Olamic model I've never gotten motivated enough about to buy, incidentally.

With CRK, Koenig, Shiro and Olamic as the choices you're kicking around you really can't go too far wrong. I like a lot of knives in that size range, here is a quick (bad, sorry about the quality) snapshot of some of my favorites along with the version of the 940 that gets the most carry time out of mine, the fabulous 940-1701:

YGGrsNx.jpg

Fabulous input from a great forum!

Great pic of a group of knives all in the same size range. In those pics, the Swish looks like it would be nice and svelte, easy to cary. I don't cut much food with anything but my kitchen knives. Does the swish look like it would hold up over the long run as compared to the Zaan? How has the kinetic finish stood the test of time? Any downside to the acid rain holes?

Any pics out there of the Zaan/Sebenza next to the Swish or 940? Went to the store today, no problems holding the ZT 0462 and the Griptiliian and PM2 felt good also. Digging the new scales on the 940, might have to look into that as well.

TR

Great pic of a group of knives all in the same size range. In those pics, the Swish looks like it would be nice and svelte, easy to cary. I don't cut much food with anything but my kitchen knives. Does the swish look like it would hold up over the long run as compared to the Zaan? How has the kinetic finish stood the test of time? Any downside to the acid rain holes?

Any pics out there of the Zaan/Sebenza next to the Swish or 940? Went to the store today, no problems holding the ZT 0462 and the Griptiliian and PM2 felt good also. Digging the new scales on the 940, might have to look into that as well.

TR

The Swish has never felt anything but solid in use for me, it's a pretty stout knife with fantastic build quality. I have a handful of them they're all great. If you were worried about strength, the standard slab handle setup like I have on this one is probably the way to go:

Hfuk7Y9.jpg

The kinetic finish is subtle and great and has held up very well over time. The acid rain thing, assuming you can live with the sight of all the holes, is IMO pretty awesome. The regular version I posted above in the shot over the grass weighs 4.7oz, the acid rain variety I posted in the group shot weighs a full ounce less, at 3.7oz, more than enough to make the perforated versions get the most pocket time in my case. You can touch the edge through one of the bigger holes on my green one if you work at it, but it's never been an issue in practice.

I love my Olamics, though, so I'm definitely biased. Unless you're pining for the "falls shut like a guillotine" closing action, they're some of the best semi-production flippers out there (Olamics tend to have stiff detents that leave them needing a wiggle or two to fall shut).

I've tried eight or ten different 940 variations and the 940-1701 is my favorite. The G-10 feels great in use, the C-Tek inlays give it some visual flair and the blade steel is a nice upgrade as well.

The knife that surprises me most in the group shot is how much I've rapidly come to love the CS Golden Eye Elite. After grabbing one on sale for $59.99 the other day I realized that this knife that I thought was wildly overpriced at ~$200 was actually fantastic. I never would have bought it at $200, but now that I have one I love the damn thing and feel stupid for passing on it earlier. The spyderhole/ramped ring/thumbstud/whatever opener is really nice, and it's much thinner and lighter than I expected. The whole thing is tight and solid. After five minutes work to disassemble it and sand the sharp inner edges of the handle slabs I'm sort of in love with the thing. It's wide in the pocket, as wide as a Manix 2 LW, but thinner and much stronger feeling in use.

TR

Here you go bud;

Small and large Sebenza 21s next to a 940. My Inkosi is at my buddy’s house but the large Inkosi is essentially the same size as the large Sebenza only with thicker handle and blade stock. The small Inkosi is noticeably smaller than the small Sebenza.

uvIDl9X.jpg

2rHb5d1.jpg

Here is a small 21 for reference as well.
DNqDEfq.jpg

dTMnTti.jpg

I don’t have an Umnumzaan but there is a pic I found included. Is it an illusion or can anyone comment on this picture? Is the tanto Zaan shorter in blade length than the regular double harpoon Zaan?

6YiFBBK.jpg

images

The Zaan is slightly longer in blade and handle than the 21 large Sebenza.

The Olamics probably are flashier knives and have ball bearing actions but I just find the CRKs more solid due to their bronze washer design. The CRKs strength is that they are just excellent at being practical comfortable to carry pocket knives.

evilgreg evilgreg has a pic of the Swish next to a 940 for reference. For what it’s worth I found the Swish to be the nicest of the Olamics I have handled and its weird looking shape actually doesn’t feel weird in hand.

Sounds like you want the Zaan.
Here’s another suggestion, the Gayle Bradley 2. M4 steel and more comfortable in hand IMO. About CRK size.
66Wnj3b.jpg

So...i have held a swish...and for myself...it just wasnt right. I dont like that i have to kink my wrist upward to use the blade to cut flat...and to gain access to the tip of the blade. I would say it is more of a tactical knife.
I own a few Large 21’s and they are excellent, and the warrantee and CS is just amazing. Nice thing with the 21 is that it is comfortable in all grips for me.
The Zaan is ok, i dont own one...just wasnt as comfortable as the large 21. Cant go wrong with a Zaan if its comfortable!
Now, with that said...the new sebenza 31...i know some people dont like the full inlay scale...it is so much more comfortable in my hand than even the inlayed 21. Im excited to get one! It feels “softer”, if that makes sense.
Now consider this...the large sebenza 21 is now discontinued due to the 31 coming...is it worth checking a 21 out? :D
Can get them off the exchange these days, and at a pretty good price.
Welcome!! and...
Keep ‘em Sharp

Appreciate the pictures. I'd say the Umnumzaan would fit nicely into the mix for me right between the Rukus and the 940.

I'd also think the Swish would add a little flare to the mix and a nice flipper. Swish looked like a great size next to the 940 above.

Both sound like great knives, at this point it will come down to which one "moves me".

Back