Looking to buy a "higher end" Spyderco

So I have a few Spydercos and now I'd like to buy a nicer one. What I have:

Tenacious
Dfly 2
UKPK
Delica 4 Wave
Delica 4 FFG Green

What would you guys recommend around $100?

You can find a PM2 for just over $100 if you look around. I just got one a week or so ago and I really like it.

I strongly second Scooter's recommendation. The Paramilitary 2 is not a knife to miss out on. It's just that good.

If you wanna try H1 steel I'd get a Pacific. If you don't think you'd like H1 you can find Natives around $100. They come in quite a few variations to suit different tastes.

Not sure if you're asking about higher-end blade steel, or or higher-end handle materials, or both.

In terms of blade steel, a bunch of the ZDP-189 knives hover at or just below the $100 mark (I'm going retail pricing on this, you can probably find cheaper if you look in other places). In terms of higher end overall package, there's the Chaparral just above $100, which I own and love - it's a fantastic EDC knife and you can wear it to dress-up functions even, very classy. If the lockback and blade size of the Chaparral are too small, I'd go with the Chaparral's bigger brother, the Sage in CF with the liner lock, it's a little further north of $100 but still below $150. One of these days I'll get my hands on a Sage...

Not sure if you're asking about higher-end blade steel, or or higher-end handle materials, or both.

In terms of blade steel, a bunch of the ZDP-189 knives hover at or just below the $100 mark (I'm going retail pricing on this, you can probably find cheaper if you look in other places). In terms of higher end overall package, there's the Chaparral just above $100, which I own and love - it's a fantastic EDC knife and you can wear it to dress-up functions even, very classy. If the lockback and blade size of the Chaparral are too small, I'd go with the Chaparral's bigger brother, the Sage in CF with the liner lock, it's a little further north of $100 but still below $150. One of these days I'll get my hands on a Sage...

I'm talking about blade stele and handle material (G10, CF) I'd also like something other than a lock back.

kershawguy, then I think PM2, Sage, and Manix 2 are the knives you should be looking at. Not really a bad choice amongst those. Also, if you dig something really wild, the Yojimbo 2 is in that range as well. compression lock, g10 handles, and a really unique geometry with a wharncliffe blade. not for everyone, but something that gets attention for sure, and still a reasonable daily user.

Hey OP,
Welcome to the Spyderco world! I'll echo what everyone else has said regarding the PM2. It's a great, great knife that (IMO) is a bargain considering what you pay. Manix 2 is also a solid option, and while I haven't handled a Sage, I hear great things.
One of my top 2 spydies is a Native 5 G10. That is a great knife, though they tend to run a little over 100 if buying new.

Enjoy the decision making and let us know what you get!

Some pics to entice you...
54da3de8a27a9444f22bcd819f24ecbb.jpg

c19b532b1ebebeeb7a9ff1194896f461.jpg

If you want something "high-end", I can only recommend the Vallotton:

IMG_1832.jpg

It is just freaking handsome. Also, make sure to buy from a reputable dealer, as there are clones (counterfeits, actually) of this model out there that can be difficult to immediately identify through pictures - however, they are absolutely night and day in person.

The Vallotton often runs in the $160-170 range, and they don't show up on the exchange often either. I strongly recommend Knifeworks as a dealer, and you might check that large river site from time to time. It's outside of your listed budget, but if you want "high end", then... It's not going to be cheap if you want the real deal.

The PM2 is truly a must have. That is what I would recommend.

I'd call it more of a "must try" - it's a magic bullet for some, becoming all they ever need in a folder. For some, like myself, it can be kinda underwhelming. I have a 110V Para2 coming in so I can give the platform one last shot before I give up on them entirely. Admittedly, I was just young hormonal man in the knife world, bedding down with whichever knife I even briefly fancied. These days, I'm looking for a more committed relationship to a knife.

I'd call it more of a "must try" - it's a magic bullet for some, becoming all they ever need in a folder. For some, like myself, it can be kinda underwhelming. I have a 110V Para2 coming in so I can give the platform one last shot before I give up on them entirely. Admittedly, I was just young hormonal man in the knife world, bedding down with whichever knife I even briefly fancied. These days, I'm looking for a more committed relationship to a knife.

yeah, I think the PM2 is over-hyped as the end-all, be-all of Spyderco knives. I love mine, but I don't necessarily love it more than my Delicas or Domino. It gets about the same amount of pocket time as my ZDP-189 Delica 4.

kershawguy, then I think PM2, Sage, and Manix 2 are the knives you should be looking at. Not really a bad choice amongst those. Also, if you dig something really wild, the Yojimbo 2 is in that range as well. compression lock, g10 handles, and a really unique geometry with a wharncliffe blade. not for everyone, but something that gets attention for sure, and still a reasonable daily user.

I was looking at the Yojimbo 2, does this knife make sense for a general use/EDC?

personally, I've never held one, and I don't think I'd use it. just thought I'd put it out there, though. a decent number of guys on the forum do own it, and those who do seem to really love it. I do own some wharncliffe blades and they're perfectly usable for EDC uses (think of the blade shape of a utility blade or an X-acto knife - same thing).

You could get one of the new 40th anniversary Native 5's with the sunburst pattern carbon fiber. Nice. The PM2 is nice and so is the Manix (I like the XL), but they are large for every day carry. The Native 5 is coming out with royal blue G10 and S110V steel soon. But of these, only the Manix models are around 100. The Native 5 models do come in less expensive versions.

At just over a hundred bucks I would recommend a Para2, Sage1 or Chaparral1 depending on what size you want. They are all stellar knives.

I have a Yojimbo that I have carried as an EDC. Only you can say if wharncliffes are a good choice for you. I have quite a few of them and like them so I am biased towards them. The Yojimbo has a very ergonomic grip that inspires confidence and gives great cutting power. The hole is obscured compared to a Para2 and I find a Para2 much easier to open. I think it is safe to say that the Para2 is a better all around knife than the Yo2. That said, I ain't selling either one.

Native 5 G10 handles is my recommandation to you.
It has more "class" in my humble opinion, and when I am not carrying my Nilakka the Native 5 is in my pocket (including right now).
Or perhapse buy both PM2 and Native 5

I fall in the camp of liking but not loving the PM2. It just doesn't inspire the same lust that many of my Benchmades and ZTs do.
I did like it a lot more after installing the Allen Putman scales though.

I recently picked up a Vallotton and it's really nice. The PPT is another cool one that I got recently but I haven't gotten a chance to take any photos of it. My Spyderco that sees the most carry is the Karahawk. It doesn't see much use because I carry it for defensive purposes but it's almost always on me. I'm anxiously awaiting a version 2. Unfortunately, all those would be difficult to find at $100. I got the Vallotton and PPT used/like new for about $130 each though which isn't too much more. I bought them on the exchange here. They are a lot of knife for that price.

You mentioned the UKPK. I got a Terzuola SLIPIT on the exchange last week for $85. Once again, I haven't had time to photograph it though. That is also a non-locking model. I saw another go yesterday on the exchange but I don't know for how much. That would be a cool one to watch for.

My best recommendation is to keep an eye on the BF exchange and when something comes up that strikes your fancy for a good price, snatch it up. There are a lot of good deals on there.

_DSC5291EditLayers1024Pixel8_zpsad21ba08.jpg

_1050817EditLayers1024Pixel8_zpsf48151d2.jpg

_DSC7801%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zpshxh37tbv.jpg

_DSC7923%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zps2ynlck8g.jpg

_DSC5629%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zpsge9sntjn.jpg

_DSC5595%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zpswa0uwsoc.jpg

_DSC5608%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zpsmkjdkswt.jpg

I was looking at the Yojimbo 2, does this knife make sense for a general use/EDC?

The Yojimbo is a great design. Outstanding handle ergonomics and probably the smoothest action and best lockup of any of my Spydercos. As far as usefulness? Meh, it is kind of like a boxcutter on steroids. It will get a lot of jobs done but not nearly as good of an "all arounder" as something with some belly.

The Manix 2, Sage 1 and of course the Paramilitary 2 are all great knives that rarely disappoint.

Back