Looks like Lynn Thompson started a new knife company "never unarmed'

So Lynn said I'm done with tools I'll take my weapons and go. Which to me is good new for CS brand as the weapon side of things was honestly one of the most distracting aspects along with the over the top performances by Mr. Thompson. I have been excited by the prospect of new ownership since old ownership was my high on my list of reasons to not buy CS products.

Last edited:
So Lynn said I'm done with tools I'll take my weapons and go. Which to me is good new for CS brand as the weapon side of things was honestly one of the most distracting aspects along with the over the top performances by Mr. Thompson. I have been excited by the prospect of new ownership since old ownership was my high on my list of reasons to not buy CS products.
It can be hard to market the company when they try to appeal to both the Tools and the Weapons crowd. Especially in today’s PC culture, one side can be detrimental to the other side of the business. As you said, many people like you are turned off by the martial/weapon aspect of their marketing.
It’s good that they split it so that the respective product lines can get marketed to their fullest potential to their target audiences.

I’ve always been interested in a switchblade, so I’ll keep my eyes open on the Cold Steel offerings. Got 3 questions about them: 1) can they be accidentally deployed during pocket carry/or are they generally safe? 2)what sort of lock system do they use? 3) where is a good source to find about carry laws pertaining to switchblades? Thanks in advance

Welcome to Bladeforums sean2021.

There is a subforum here specifically to ask questions about knife laws. You can find it here- https://bladeforums.com/forums/knife-laws.735/

If you post a question in that forum be sure to mention what state you are in. Knife laws vary from state to state, and sometimes counties and cities have their own knife laws.

There is also a subforum here dedicated specifically to switchblades. You can find it here- https://bladeforums.com/forums/automatic-knife-switchblades.688/

As for your questions regarding switchblades, some are safer to carry than others. Many people carry them daily without experiencing accidental openings. A lot depends on the design of the knife, it's quality, how a person carries it, and what if anything they might carry in the same pocket, or the activity they engage in. Several switchblades also have safeties to prevent accidental openings.

As for switchblade lock types, there are several. On side-opening switchblades (off the top of my head) there are back locks, button locks, and lever locks. There are also switchblades which use the blade catch that holds the knife closed as a lock when the blade is open (also known as button-open/button-close).

I'm not familiar with out-the-front switchblades, so I'm not qualified to try and explain the types of locking mechanisms they use.

Last edited:
I'm hoping for an auto version of the Ti-lite 6 (but not with a kriss blade. Not a fan of kriss blades). Either flat-ground, bayonet, or dagger grind. I'd be happy with any, or all of those (and happy to buy all of them).

Or at least a manual T6 with Kray-Ex/Kraton handle scales.

Fingers crossed. But not getting my hopes up too high.

I’ve always been interested in a switchblade, so I’ll keep my eyes open on the Cold Steel offerings. Got 3 questions about them: 1) can they be accidentally deployed during pocket carry/or are they generally safe? 2)what sort of lock system do they use? 3) where is a good source to find about carry laws pertaining to switchblades? Thanks in advance
State Knife Laws | American Knife and Tool Institute

Ok im on board with this. All the goofy stuff that I actually buy from CS? Yep.

Prices seem reasonable too. Really digging those balisongs.

i haven't bothered with Cold Steel for along time, but when it was young and pure Lynn I liked alot and looked past some of the occasional problems. If he's starting again I'd certainly give it a look. Standards are higher now, I think. I wish him well, but that's not a sure thing. Sometimes your old company doesn't take kindly to the competition. I hope they worked it out. He could come up with some good stuff.

Last edited:
Wow, this is huge. NeverUnarmed could become the largest seller of automatics and balisongs in the world. Lynn sure has the ability and courage to push them in today's world. I never really understood why they were largely absent from Cold Steel's catalogue over the years?

Weirdly , the new 2021 CS catalog also has 2 balisongs listed as "coming soon " .

The pic on Never Unarmed balisongs have the CS logo / label .

Not sure what's the deal here ? :confused:

Thank you for the replies regarding my questions about switchblades. Had a look at “automatic knives” subforum. Looks like what I’ve been desiring is a classic Italian style switchblade (ie Leverletto). If you’re reading this Mr Thompson....would love to see you introduce something similar. Thank you for contributions to the knife community. Awaiting for my Counterpoint 1 to arrive shortly....been carrying a Counterpoint 2 for years now, love the knife. Will be ordering the Mini Recon 1 (clip point) once they are released

Back