M4 Millie--satisfied or dissappointed

M4 Millie, are you satisfied or disappointed with your?

• Satisfied

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
IF YOU DON'T OWN THE KNIFE, PLEASE DON'T VOTE!

Banned flake Psycoman :barf: did not own the knife, but he voted he was dissatisfied. He then came back as Mountains Edge, and voted again. So subtract 2 from the "dissatisfied" votes.

Longtime and valued member PiterM informed me that he accidentaly voted "disappointed." He does not have the knife. Thank you PiterM for coming forward and letting me know.

So, subtract 3 disappointed votes.

My M4 Millie is entirely satisfactory. I suspect I'm not in a "lucky" minority. A few people posting minor issues gives the impression that theres a bigger problem than there really is. Then their threads get bumped over and over, adding to the impression.

If everyone who is satisfied with their M4 Millie started a thread like "M4 Millie---Gladly not Disappointed :thumbup:," the impression would be different. I don't see that happening, so a poll is the next best thing.

I'm going to keep it simple--up or down--satisfied or dissappointed. :thumbup: :thumbdn:

Last edited:
I thought about doing a poll like this...

There will be a 3rd category of satisfied users that would like to see changes/mods/improvements such as clip positions or texture on the Ti. Other than the clip positions, I think everything else will not be unanimous, and possibly controversial with opposing parties (i.e. the jimping vs no jimping, or the thicker tip vs thin tip debates that pop up occasionally).

This knife is typifies the Military concept of constant improvement of the intended design. It seems well aligned with the design goals of the very first Military I experienced years ago. Similar but modernized with a steel that IMO is ideal for the type of duties for which this blade shape seems designed.

It seems some people wanted a thicker tip, or a different looking clip, or a machined texture/design on the Ti. None of these things were promised...and had they been incorporated MANY people would have been upset...because they were promised a knife very similar to what was delivered (with the exception of the enhanced lock bar...which as I understand it was enhanced for performance 1st and looks were considered later).

Personally, I think they achieved both performance and looks with the lock bar design.

Love mine. This is my 4th Military and the smoothest of the bunch, plus a great steel and very limited makes this a keeper.

There will be a 3rd category of satisfied users that would like to see changes/mods/improvements such as clip positions or texture on the Ti.

I considered whether to have lots of choices with all kinds of shades of grey, but decided against it. It goes without saying that many of those who are satisfied will see some minor imperfections or see something about the knife that could be improved. That's the nature of production knives: they aren't perfect. But I set up the poll to test my simple theory that most folks who bought them are satisfied overall. So people who observe imperfections or room for improvement will have to weigh it out and decide whether those issues leave them feeling satisfied or disappointed, overall.

Happy with mine, to me its the military I love with a better, stronger lock and better blade steel, the g10 lightens it up a little compared to the all Ti version which is a plus to me.

It sounds like most people who ordered one had a decent idea of what the regular production model is like so complaining about regular features is stupid, if you don't like yours sell it on to someone else. I hope the complaints don't discourage future special runs!!!

Its a great knife and I appreciate Roger and Spyderco taking the time to put it together!

I say completely satisfied. I felt a warm fuzzy feeling when the first RC test results were released again. This is good stuff.

1 of the UnLucky ones. Dissapointed that I didnt get a Good one as some did.

I could go on but some seem to have a blase attitude about the luck of the

draw...they got a good one.

I have done nothing but open and close mine a few times, but everything looks satisfactory - smooth opening, nice lock engagement, centered blade.

Mine showed up last night.

It appears as though I received one of the perfect ones. At least I can't find a fault with it.

I'm satisfied. Mine is a little gritty but considerably smoother than when it first came out of the box. Was it the sharpest Spyderco I've ever gotten. No and in all honestly, compared to my Gayle Bradley Spydie neither are any of the rest. In short it is not a "flawless" knife but there is nothing about it that I find disappointing. It's an excellent knife made by ordinary folks just like me.

Last edited:
With respect to those who imagined that their pet mods would somehow be incorporated into a current production knife, it's hard to know what to say. Some of the things mentioned in those posts are possibilities for the next version of the Military, but according to Sal there is literally no timetable for that going into production. Look at the clamor over the extended wait for this one as it is - and just as you say, there are or will be some of us who will prefer the current model to the next generation. Certainly there are those who feel that way about the Paramilitary.

Oh, for the record - I'm satisfied. :thumbup:

There will be a 3rd category of satisfied users that would like to see changes/mods/improvements such as clip positions or texture on the Ti. Other than the clip positions, I think everything else will not be unanimous, and possibly controversial with opposing parties (i.e. the jimping vs no jimping, or the thicker tip vs thin tip debates that pop up occasionally).

This knife is typifies the Military concept of constant improvement of the intended design. It seems well aligned with the design goals of the very first Military I experienced years ago. Similar but modernized with a steel that IMO is ideal for the type of duties for which this blade shape seems designed.

It seems some people wanted a thicker tip, or a different looking clip, or a machined texture/design on the Ti. None of these things were promised...and had they been incorporated MANY people would have been upset...because they were promised a knife very similar to what was delivered (with the exception of the enhanced lock bar...which as I understand it was enhanced for performance 1st and looks were considered later).

Personally, I think they achieved both performance and looks with the lock bar design.

With respect to those who imagined that their pet mods would somehow be incorporated into a current production knife, it's hard to know what to say. Some of the things mentioned in those posts are possibilities for the next version of the Military, but according to Sal there is literally no timetable for that going into production. Look at the clamor over the extended wait for this one as it is - and just as you say, there are or will be some of us who will prefer the current model to the next generation. Certainly there are those who feel that way about the Paramilitary.

Oh, for the record - I'm satisfied. :thumbup:

Agree!

My point is/was this thing is pretty dang nice...and still there will be some debate over how it could be better. We modern knife enthusiasts are pretty darn lucky to have the "problems" we claim to have with our knives.

The pole as posted is perfect...I did not intend to allude otherwise. Other options would only muddy the results...either you feel like you received something of equal or higher value than the price paid or NOT.

The beauty of this situation is if you say "not" you can return, or sell the knife and be out nothing....What a fantastic situation we find ourselves in! Sure technically, you are out a few months interest on your 20 bucks (deposit)...but in this economy, your 20 bucks probably would have suffered more elsewhere!

Hi KeithAM -

Very satisfied!

Mine is perfect as far as I can tell, and it is breaking in nicely.

Loving the new knife!

Thanks for the poll.

best regards -

mqqn

110% satisfied and this one has bumped my BG-42 Millie out of first place for my favorite overall knife.

With that said, here's the only two nits I was able to pick:

- initially, slightly rough (I wouldn't even call it gritty, just not glass smooth) opening; no different than many of my other productions knives; after using for one week and a little extra oil in the pivot, it is now, glass smooth
- barely uneven grind at the tip - on the logo/G-10 side, it's about 1/32" lower than on the other side; again, no different than many of my other production knives and certainly does not affect performance in any way.

Other than that, I got nothin'. :thumbup: The blade is centered perfectly with zero play in any direction, lockup is perfect, the fit and finish are perfect, the weight is perfect (I prefer a little heft, but now all my other Millies feel too light!), the CPM-M4 is proving itself to be one heckuva steel and seems to be outpacing all my other Millies in CPM-D2, BG-42 and CPM-S30V.

So yeah, I LOOOOOOVE this knife and even told my wife I could probably be very happy if I never bought another knife after this one.
OK, so I got caught up in the moment and maybe that was a little white lie, but you get the point. :D:thumbup:

Back