M4 Millie--satisfied or dissappointed

M4 Millie, are you satisfied or disappointed with your?

• Satisfied

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I originally posted that I had some problems with the Millie I received from Knifeworks. When I received the limited knife, the blade was way off center and the lockup was almost 80%. I contacted Spyderco and they wanted me to send it in. I sent it out about 2 weeks ago. The UPS dropped the knife off today at my front door. I have to admit, Spyderco came through. The knife now is absolutely perfect!! Perfectly centered, lockup is 40 - 50%, the "grittyness" of the blade is pretty much nonexistent when it's closed and/or opened and it's absolutely scary sharp!! I am extremely satidfied with this knife. I am going to use it, I do not plan on locking it up in the safe.

Is it the same knife?

I originally posted that I had some problems with the Millie I received from Knifeworks. When I received the limited knife, the blade was way off center and the lockup was almost 80%. I contacted Spyderco and they wanted me to send it in. I sent it out about 2 weeks ago. The UPS dropped the knife off today at my front door. I have to admit, Spyderco came through. The knife now is absolutely perfect!! Perfectly centered, lockup is 40 - 50%, the "grittyness" of the blade is pretty much nonexistent when it's closed and/or opened and it's absolutely scary sharp!! I am extremely satidfied with this knife. I am going to use it, I do not plan on locking it up in the safe.

As far as I know. When spyderco called me they said the titanium side had to be replaced, thats it. They said when they resemble the knife, they might be able to get the blade centered. As far as I know, I got the same knife back.

When I first got mine it was a little off center, but I found it very easy to center by tightening the pivot about a 1/16 of a turn, I also found by loosening or tightening I could move it from touching the ti side to touching the g10 side, so if yours is off center, I'd recommend tightening or loosening the pivot.

This is my first Millie and I'm a user, not a collector. I live in the Yukon, and it's often wet and cold during hunting season, and so I have some concerns about rust, but I'm making sure to clean the knife right after use. But the real test will come when I use it in hunting camps.
So I haven't had a chance to really put the knife to work (as I will in the summer with fishing and camping), but from what I've used it for so far, it seems great. It fits nicely in my pocket and is quick to open.

I'm also left handed, and I find that it works well in my left hand for opening and use. I can't afford another Millie, so the left handed model is out of the question (for now).

This is my first Millie and I'm a user, not a collector. I live in the Yukon, and it's often wet and cold during hunting season, and so I have some concerns about rust, but I'm making sure to clean the knife right after use. But the real test will come when I use it in hunting camps.
So I haven't had a chance to really put the knife to work (as I will in the summer with fishing and camping), but from what I've used it for so far, it seems great. It fits nicely in my pocket and is quick to open.

I'm also left handed, and I find that it works well in my left hand for opening and use. I can't afford another Millie, so the left handed model is out of the question (for now).

M4 by Spyderco makes a great hunting knife. I've skinned two hogs, including a 400 lb. Wild Boar that I shot with my Glock 20 (10MM) and it worked great. My edge is 10 degrees per side on that knife, which tested out at 63 RC, and it skinned, gutted, separated bones, and everything on that boar and still had a very useable edge at the end of the job. My M4/Ti Millies will definately see some use like that, and I know they will do great. The blades will get discolored after skinning and processing for 3 hours, but it doesn't look bad to me. Leaving water on the blade is the quick way to rust spots, but they are easily removed. I think M4's great performance capability is worth the little bit of extra maintenance to keep it from rusting.

Mike

...My M4/Ti Millies will definately see some use like that, and I know they will do great. The blades will get discolored after skinning and processing for 3 hours, but it doesn't look bad to me. Leaving water on the blade is the quick way to rust spots, but they are easily removed. I think M4's great performance capability is worth the little bit of extra maintenance to keep it from rusting.

Exactly! I don't think a Patina makes a knife bad. I would think the value could go down a little on users, but in the end, it makes a perfect user :thumbup:

Nice choice using it on the hogs too!

Mine arrived today and it is very very close to perfect. Centered blade, great lockup and overall great fit and finish.

Nit picking: the last 3mm of the tip could have been sharper ;)

Satisfied! Picked mine up on the exchange recently. Was a bit gritty at first on opening, but a bit of lube and a couple hundred flicks open and is very smooth. Not as sharp as I have come to expect from Spyderco.

Positives, the blade is well centered and lockup is solid as a bank vault at about 50%. I am a picky SOB when it comes to those 2 factors, and I usually won't keep a folder around that isn't about perfect in those regards. The texturing on the G10 is just about perfect for me, and the chamfering on the Ti and G10 is great. The steel lockbar insert is interesting, never had a problem with Ti on Ti on my other framelocks, but be interesting to see if it confers any benefits over time.

CPM M4, Framelock, G10 and Ti.... a fantastic value at 200 bucks.

Now how about a Para in M4? ;)

Well, I didn't get in on the pre-order, so I only had to wait about a week after I sent an email asking for one, if available. I was happy to get the chance at this knife. While those expecting something different than a Military may be disappointed, this is definitely MORE than just a military. The titanium adds a heft and feel that registers in hand that this is a solid knife. Lock-up, blade centering and grind sharpness are all fine. The blade is a tad longer than my regular millie for some reason(not complaining) and the action is smoother than my G-10 millie. Big thanks to KnifeWorks for the opportunity!!
gunsknives011.jpg

gunsknives008.jpg

gunsknives009.jpg

Been waiting for mine and now I'm qualified to comment :)

Best slightly-over-200-bucks I've spent so far! I won't go into the specs since it's common knowledge. I'm lucky to receive a perfect one without issues. My grinds are well done, shaves outta the box and blade's centered.

The stainless insert is a great touch. Being an owner of a Lionsteel SR-1 I'd have to say I like this Millie better. The familiar Millie ergos and blade profile is much better. Now I'll affix my STR lowrider clip to make it perfect :)

I'm thinking of forcing a patina on my blade. If it etches as good as some of my Greco folders it'll keep the rust at bay.

BTW regarding the overextend aspect, look at the engaged lockbar from the back. If you look from the direction of the backspaces onto the engaged lockbar you'll see the stainless insert has a extended tab that prevents overextension. Nifty :)

Cotherion, owner of one outta the 500, bye...

"I'm lucky to receive a perfect one without issues"

I would not say lucky at all. Normal is more like it.
Next time I talk to Roger I will how many were returned with issues. Bet its a tiny number if any.
Some folks voted that have never seen or own the knife.
Others want custom like perfection and top end materials for $200.00. That's not gonna happen.
What we have here is about the best Ti 4" M4 folder you can buy for $200.00
Best deal of 2010. Easily.......

As with all my purchases of Spydie products I had no issues that would worry me. I was basing my statement on other's experience. However I think I did sound negative in my last post, however I'm pleased as a puppy with my new folder :)

Next in my list is a Gayle Bradley in M4, read great comments about it. Almost like a custom folder with production prices :)

Come on guys, M4 Millie with titanium framelock with stainless insert and G10 handle... Pleased as a puppy I tell ya :)

Others' experiences are overwhelmingly positive. There have been an exceptionally small number of complaints and frankly some negative posts were made by people who didn't even own the knife. :( It's a great knife and made to a very high standard. :thumbup:

As with all my purchases of Spydie products I had no issues that would worry me. I was basing my statement on other's experience. However I think I did sound negative in my last post, however I'm pleased as a puppy with my new folder :)

Next in my list is a Gayle Bradley in M4, read great comments about it. Almost like a custom folder with production prices :)

Come on guys, M4 Millie with titanium framelock with stainless insert and G10 handle... Pleased as a puppy I tell ya :)

I was not picking on you,
I was picking on this whole thread and its false negativity......

It could have read, Best Spyderco for $200.00 to date!
LOL LOL

I was not picking on you,
I was picking on this whole thread and its false negativity......
It could have read, Best Spyderco for $200.00 to date!
LOL LOL

I got u now, all's good and I know what you mean. I refrained from voting till I got it and used it hard before judging. It be a sexy knife I tell u! The envious looks (or was it sheeple shock?) as I showed them how their rusty pen knife ain't gonna cut it... Gettit :)

Can't get any better for 200 bucks. I'll easily cover the purchase price on the exchange. But this one is a keeper :)

Poliwog on my right, M4 Millie on my left and full serrated D'Allara in my left thigh pocket. I'm covered for now! But where to put my future Gayle Bradley :)

About 2 weeks ago as I was putting myself on the preorder list for the ZT551 at KnifeWorks so I inquired about the M4 Millie and asked to be put on the list for that one to. Their site listed it as temporarily out of stock so I thought well lets see what happens. So on Monday they send me an e-mail saying they have one in stock if I want it. It showed up today and I am very happy with it. It's my first Military. It's a little bigger than I thought it would be but that's okay, I like it. Very light for a big knife. Everything is lined up good, nice sharp blade and good lock up. I think this is a keeper. :thumbup:

Last edited:
I love my M-4 Millie as much as my S90V Millie. :):thumbup::)

If I could only have two Spydies, these are the two that I would keep.

(Although I would shed bitter tears if I had to let go of my CPM D-2 Millie! :p)

I voted satisfied, however, when i received the knife, it was 75% off to the left!! All i did was loosen the blade slightly at the pivot torque screw very slightly, recenter, and tighten until 50%. It's bang on 50/50 center. Just hope it stays that way. It was only a very less than quarter turn if that to correct. Just never had a Spyder so far off center. Other than that, it appears perfect.

Back