M4 Millie--satisfied or dissappointed

M4 Millie, are you satisfied or disappointed with your?

• Satisfied

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
m4 is not for every one , s30 will work just as good for most people .

I agree. M4 may outperform S30V in some respects, but certainly not stainlessness, and that's a deal breaker for quite a few folks. M4 is a steel not for steel junkies, but steel junkies who like or even prefer carbon steel, or at least those who are willing to learn to take care of it and give it a fair try.

Last edited:
I was a little worried about the rust thing, but I've got a bunch of old tools and knives that were my father's and they've all got a nice deep patina with no major issues.

I really like the M4 Millie more and more each day, My blade is centered and it is just a strong, nice knife. The more I carry it the more I like it.

I'm late to the show, but I couldn't make up my mind on the C36TIP or C36GTIP. So I am getting both.:eek:

I just scrutinized mine and I am happy. Fit and finish is what I would expect on a $200 knife. The blade centering and lockup are both 50/50, perfect. The opening action isn't buttery smooth but it's not gritty either. The knife came shaving sharp. I just have to decide if I am going to use it or not, I have other Millies in service right now.:D

M4Millie.jpg

M4Millie2.jpg

after having the millie for a few weeks now i really like it.. if any of you don't like it i would be more then willing to take it off your hands. i could use a second one.

My second M4/Ti Millie should be here Saturday. I'm hopeful that it will show the same near perfect fit and finish as the one I already have. I will send them off for Rockwell testing next week and report back on it's hardness (as well as the hardness of several other Spydercos like my second S90V Manix 2 and my Bradley amongst others, and even my M4 Benchmade Rift to see how much softer they run M4 compared to Spyderco). It will be interesting to see if the Millie and Bradley can beat out the 63 RC of my M4 Mule. After the Rockwell testing (hopefully my M4 Millies and S90V Manix 2's come out very close in hardness to their twins) I plan to test the Millies and S90V Manix 2's side by side with different edge finishes on both rope and cardboard and see if I can find much difference in edge retention with coarse and polished edges on otherwise identical knives. In my experience M4 loves a polished edge, while S90V seems to be plenty happy with a coarse to medium grit finish. Now I just need the time to actually do that testing.

Mike

My second M4/Ti Millie should be here Saturday. I'm hopeful that it will show the same near perfect fit and finish as the one I already have. I will send them off for Rockwell testing next week and report back on it's hardness (as well as the hardness of several other Spydercos like my second S90V Manix 2 and my Bradley amongst others, and even my M4 Benchmade Rift to see how much softer they run M4 compared to Spyderco). It will be interesting to see if the Millie and Bradley can beat out the 63 RC of my M4 Mule. After the Rockwell testing (hopefully my M4 Millies and S90V Manix 2's come out very close in hardness to their twins) I plan to test the Millies and S90V Manix 2's side by side with different edge finishes on both rope and cardboard and see if I can find much difference in edge retention with coarse and polished edges on otherwise identical knives. In my experience M4 loves a polished edge, while S90V seems to be plenty happy with a coarse to medium grit finish. Now I just need the time to actually do that testing.

Mike

That sounds very interesting, I'd love to know what you find out. :thumbup:

Satisfied.
I was lucky enough to score one of the leftovers up for sale at knife Works and couldn't be happier about it. Love titanium framelocks, and mine is smooth, centered, and shaving sharp out of the box.
I just finished swapping scales with my orange military, and it was a relatively painless procedure for those interested (I say relatively because I did stick myself with the tip which I thought I had taped well enough!)

Bill

Last edited:
Satisfied.
I was lucky enough to score one of the leftovers up for sale at knifecenter and couldn't be happier about it. Love titanium framelocks, and mine is smooth, centered, and shaving sharp out of the box.
I just finished swapping scales with my orange military, and it was a relatively painless procedure for those interested (I say relatively because I did stick myself with the tip which I thought I had taped well enough!)

Bill

Bro you can't claim this and not post pics.:)

Yeah, I was afraid of that! I am a picture posting virgin I'm afraid. I have some free time tomorrow morning, I'll give it a go then. It really was easy. THe only thing I was concerned about was the lanyard tube. I just carefully twisted and pulled until it came apart, luckily both let go on the same side, so it was easy to re-assemble.

Yeah, I was afraid of that! I am a picture posting virgin I'm afraid. I have some free time tomorrow morning, I'll give it a go then. It really was easy. THe only thing I was concerned about was the lanyard tube. I just carefully twisted and pulled until it came apart, luckily both let go on the same side, so it was easy to re-assemble.

I have come >||< this close to doing the same, but I was thinking about the lanyard tube issue, too. :D Actually, I'd love to see a blue scale...but that ain't happnin' without custom work and the nested liner would be a PITA.

I was a little lax on my maintenance at first with this blade, being new to carbon steel (besides an opinel). I got some sweat on the blade and it was left in my pocket throughout a rainy, humid day.

By the time I had pulled it out again, I found light rust spots where I had handled the blade.

I did some searching online for solutions, and after leaving a thick coat of breakfree CLP on the blade for a few hours, I scrubbed it with some comet on an old toothbrush (lightly). This removed all the surface rust, and some light patina, but did not effect the finish at all.

I still edc it, and still love it! I just take more care by rubbing it down with Tuf-cloth every night, and haven't had an issue since. I ordered a marine tuf-cloth since it provides better protection.

Last edited:
I went to this about 15 yrs ago on all my guns & knifes.
I am about 2 miles from the coast, no issues at all.
Great product!

DSC02001-1-1.jpg

I got #2 today and it was flawless like my first. Perfect centering, 50% lock up, smooth, it is as goos as it gets with production knives. It isn't the sharpest, but my sense of sharp is pretty distorted. Once I put my own edge on it it will be perfect for me.

Mike

It took about two weeks to get here, but it arrived today (and I'm lucky I caught one at all since i didn't preorder), and wow! I love how you can't see the lock insert with it closed. It's very slightly off center, but tightening the pivot should change that. Speaking of that, what size torx is the pivot? I don't have one that big.

It's so light for such a big knife! I want a regular G10 version now.

I voted satisfied, though that really doesn't describe it.

edit: I just noticed the hole appears to be sanded or smoothed in some way. All my other Spydercos have a little mark where the cut ended, but this one lacks that. That's a nice touch.

Last edited:
Back