m43 arrived

My dotd m43 arrived. It has a few imperfections, but it was a dotd so i expected that. The only real problem is that the handle doesn't have enough girth for me. The length is perfect, but it hurts my knuckles to grasp because i have to clamp down so much. Here are a few pics ..my camera is old and not so good.

the dotd pic.
mym43_zps41aa878d.jpg

my pic.
PICT0029_zps69091306.jpg

handle vs hand:
PICT0028_zps09221bfb.jpg

I found this thread on thin handles:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1229366-Building-up-a-handle?highlight=handle+scara

But i'm open to any and all advice. I got dotd to try and save money, but now i wish i'd of just ordered off the website, or got a custom (would've only been like $30 more). I can't really use this thing unless i can find a way to build up the handle. Advice would be appreciated.

Any advice on what clearly doesn't work would also be appreciated ..so i don't waste my time.

EDIT: handle girth is around 4.5 inches at the thickest part. Could anyone please give me some feedback on handle girth of similar sized knives? I'd really really appreciate it.

Last edited:
i'll guess i'll try this stuff first.

McNett Tactical Camo Form ..i have no idea how it works though. I guess it just stays on by itself ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I will bet that you will like the handle much better after chopping a tree down with it.

I would suggest sending an email to auntie, and perhaps she can help you find a type of blade you would like, and have the handle that you find comfortable.

Auntie is very easy to work with, and she will usually accommodate any reasonable requests, and/or suggestions to resolve a concern.

i'll guess i'll try this stuff first.

McNett Tactical Camo Form ..i have no idea how it works though. I guess it just stays on by itself ?

I have found that that stuff does slip some. I haven't done any chopping with it, but I've found that it does move around a little up and down the grip.

I've done the para cord routine and it works well. I just super glued one end, had the first wrap go over the start and went to wrapping. I put a dab of super glue every 10 wraps or so. When I got to the other end I did some more super glue and tucked the end back under the last wrap.

By doing this it's fairly easy to take off and bring back to original.

The other solution is send it to me, I have small hands. I'd offer loot but I don't have any.

Oh, I just meant that I have a few handles that I thought were to big or to small, but after I used them on wood I adapted to them quite well, and became comfortable with them.

I would suggest sending an email to auntie, and perhaps she can help you find a type of blade you would like, and have the handle that you find comfortable.

Auntie is very easy to work with, and she will usually accommodate any reasonable requests, and/or suggestions to resolve a concern.

Well. Before I put auntie through any trouble, i'd like to know average HI handle girth. Would a few kind souls mind posting handle girth of knives of similar size. For mine ..

girth = about almost 4.5 inches at the widest part of the handle

EDIT: i made a seperate post for this question
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...Handles-and-Hand-size?p=14216914#post14216914

Last edited:
I'm in the complete opposite boat, my m43 handle is way too big, hand barely wraps around it. I'm going to have to sand down the handle, maybe even leave a bit of meat in the middle as a grip ring.

I'm in the complete opposite boat, my m43 handle is way too big, hand barely wraps around it. I'm going to have to sand down the handle, maybe even leave a bit of meat in the middle as a grip ring.

would you mind linking a pic of it??

I've done the para cord routine and it works well. I just super glued one end, had the first wrap go over the start and went to wrapping. I put a dab of super glue every 10 wraps or so. When I got to the other end I did some more super glue and tucked the end back under the last wrap.

By doing this it's fairly easy to take off and bring back to original.

The other solution is send it to me, I have small hands. I'd offer loot but I don't have any.

hmm, i may try that. But using super glue on things gives me reservations. i'll think about it.

Remember you really only grip with your thumb and index finger. Look up snap cut to see the proper grip.

I did a para-cord wrap on my SCAK handle, and it worked fine without any kind of glue. I wasn't adding paracord to increase the width, though - in fact, it was already a bit too wide. I was just trying to deal with some sharp corners. The paracord definitely made it wider - too wide, actually. I ended up removing the paracord, and doing some very careful sanding.

For the sake of comparison, I have moderately-sized hands, and my 4 inch WW2 handle is about as high as I'm comfortable with. The SCAK, at 4.5 inches, is manageable, but not comfortable.

I did a para-cord wrap on my SCAK handle, and it worked fine without any kind of glue. I wasn't adding paracord to increase the width, though - in fact, it was already a bit too wide. I was just trying to deal with some sharp corners. The paracord definitely made it wider - too wide, actually. I ended up removing the paracord, and doing some very careful sanding.

For the sake of comparison, I have moderately-sized hands, and my 4 inch WW2 handle is about as high as I'm comfortable with. The SCAK, at 4.5 inches, is manageable, but not comfortable.

-hmm. 4 and 4.5 respectively you say. Thanks alot thats really useful. I'd really appreciate if anyone else would post their handle circumference/girth; if nothing else i've seen every other spec measured involving HI kuks except handle circumference ..and i've looked.

-I've also been playing around with this kuk. I doubt i'd be swinging it with one hand anyways. It feels pretty good however with a hand-and-a-half grip.

Last edited:
... I doubt i'd be swinging it with one hand anyways. It feels pretty good however with a hand-and-a-half grip.

Theres your problem right there. Are you using two hands? You cant get near the velocity you need with two hands to properly utilize the design of a Khukri. Yes it can be done but is not nearly as efficient in my opinion. F=MA might come to mind if your an engineering student. Mass is fixed in the weight of your Khukri. Therefore the only function you have control of to maximize force applied to what your chopping is acceleration. Two handed chop just dont cut it. Pardon the pun if you will. Using your wrist to snap some speed at the end of your swing and even your last three fingers (whatever you call them) to complement your wrist snap gets you plenty of acceleration to get the job done. If your trying to use your Khuk like an ax then it aint gonna happen and you will be disappointed with your results. You really should read up on the "snap chop" method and try it. The sledghammer swing just dont work very well.

Back