Machetes & Bush Knives

Ok, I agree that a machete has it's place in the survival steel gallery, but I am going to again say it isn't for a cold environment. JoeZilla just pointed out to me over in WS&S that a frozen knot can take a chunk out of a snow&neally axe. I, myself have snapped a D2 TAK batonning when it was -10 or so out. No doubt you can clear bush well with a machete, but digging, prying and in general using it to do a lot of survival chores aint gonna happen.

I am with MrCoffee on this. An axe and/or a saw (some people prefer saw to an axe and I kind of see why) IMHO suite for cold climate and woods better.

edited: another thing I find useful is a small shovel.

From the East Southern tip of Sumatera.
This is heavy duty golok of Lampungese.
For preparing land, slashing shrubs, pruning coffee trees etc.
I have two of it. One have been used for 5 years (pics not shown).
Very well HT, long lasting sharpness.
Several times hit rock but only minor damage on the tip which will be gone by whetstone.

This one also 5years but never been used before. 5 years in my cupboard without rust.
DSCN5532-1.jpg

DSCN5533.jpg

Material spring steel, handle from Leucaena and sheath from Paraserianthes (sheath has less quality of wood compared to the handle).

Firstly, i underestimated the handle since the traditional golok has no rivet or pin. But i have no problem with the handle yet.
Blade length +/- 11"
OAL 16"
It cost me US$6.00 each

Last edited:
Back