Mad Dog Knives VIM Closing shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posted on Facebook, VIM Mad Dog has announced that effective immediatley, Mad Dog Knives will no longer be produced. Press release to follow.
I have known and been a friend of Kevin for some time, and am saddened to learn of this new development. For those that don't like him or his knives, that is certainly your right.

My best wishes to him for his future. I am sure this was not an easy to make decision.

Feeling lucky that I own one of his knives. Feeling sorry I never managed to prioritise funds to buy a few other knives from him. A panther and maybe an ATAK would have been nice to own.

/C

always wanted an ATAK

what happened?

The following was just posted to their facebook account a few hours ago.

Unfortunately, and a full "Release" will be out soon, the owner of VIM has had her life, and livelyhood threatened on several occasions by Mad Dog's previous owner/manager, who lost the business assets that were used by Mad Dog, in a legal seizure due to her horrific mismanagement and non-payment of the business location lease for several years. Teryl McClung, the owner and financial manager of MD Labs, which operated Mad Dog Knives, unfortunately lacks true business sense or understanding of finances, income taxes or consequences of non-payment Therefore, Teryl McClung continuously blames VIM for her losses and has continued a relentless series of threats against VIM's owner, which in turn also threatens her family. Teryl McClung has filed hundreds of pages of documents, in court, that are full of false and delusional accusations and gross distortions of the truth. She has filed these against VIM and has involved U.S. attorneys in her web of lies and pursuit to do great harm to Robin Smith in an unstable and stalking behavior. This further concerns VIM regarding Teryl McClung's mental stability and level of delusions, which have come in threats via several sources. Despite VIM's brilliant improvements in the customer relations and proper financial management and marketing of Mad Dog Knives, closing the business is for the health and safety of the owner and her family. Kevin McClung is a masterful knife maker and genius in the art of materials science, however he did not manage the finances or business of Mad Dog Knives when with MD Labs, nor does he with VIM. VIM highly respects Kevin "Mad Dog" McClung's work ethic, loyalty and superior talent, and hopes one day he can bring his work back to the worldwide market. At this time, there are no plans for VIM to resume Mad Dog Knives due to the life threatening legal and personal pursuits by Mad Dog's previous manager and owner of MD Labs. We can expect Teryl McClung to make several public announcements at some point stating her extensive fantasies about how she lost her business and husband. Those of you who have actually met or know Teryl McClung will have no issue in realizing the extent of her delusions as she goes public. I would appreciate your public support about this person, as I am seeking protection.

There are some Mad Dog's listed on ebay. I am sure they prices will sure go up, more than they already have.

Sad to see any knife shop close up but dang! Mad Dog knives has been plagued by drama almost since the first time I'd heard of them way back in the old Fighting Knives magazine. Kinda surprised it lasted as long as this to tell the truth.

I remember there were sparks flying around 1973 with his attempt to supply the ATAK to the TEAMS.

I had no idea that he went that far back with the SEAL Teams knife.

I thought that it was from the early 1990s at the most...

Hopefully this setback doesn't spell the end of a true child prodigy, a dark genius.

:)

i used to troll tactical forums under several nicks until mad dog canked me. he was a funny guy, with funny delusions about his person and his art. but his design philosophy was very sound. i can't imagine that teryl would come to this end. i never knew how VIM came into the picture.

Yep a darn shame,,,,making bad choices and weaving fantastic fabrications of super secretive exploits does have a way of coming back to bite you in the
rumpus. so does not paying your taxes, uncle sam doesnt like that

56558214_zpswdctayxp.jpg
:(

Well, I guess Dark Ops has one less competitor...and Mick Strider too...(sorry couldn't resist, the Stolen Valor warrants a pile on).

Reactions: din
Perhaps he was re Activated by the CIA or NASA or JPL or NSA.........

Interesting info about Mr. McClung. From what I know of him, he was and is indeed delusional. The guy would tell so many bald face lies that some of his groupies ate up.. In a newspaper article that he co wrote, he claimed to be a black belt in a martial art. Complete BS. Then he labels himself as a materials scientist ? Yet a call to his previous employer made him appear as warehouse guy. Mad Dog, MD LABS, Teryl McClung, Kevin McClung, ALL THE SAME ! He would blame his wife's comments when he was the one telling his wife what to write in the various forums including this one. He and she had dozens of user names and e mail addresses that he would use. I cant imagine an 01 steel knife with a hard chrome plating and an epoxy handle would gain so much attention. To me, good riddance, the industry does not need a napoleon figure. The you tube video of him arriving at his shop in his Dodge truck barely able to see over the steering wheel was a good laugh.

Sounds like a true con man, but his knives were used and abused by many. They held up. I have only seen MadDog used knives and they were all used hard and except for surface damage, they were in good shape.

Sad to see any knife shop close up but dang! Mad Dog knives has been plagued by drama almost since the first time I'd heard of them way back in the old Fighting Knives magazine. Kinda surprised it lasted as long as this to tell the truth.

Interesting info about Mr. McClung. From what I know of him, he was and is indeed delusional. The guy would tell so many bald face lies that some of his groupies ate up.. In a newspaper article that he co wrote, he claimed to be a black belt in a martial art. Complete BS. Then he labels himself as a materials scientist ? Yet a call to his previous employer made him appear as warehouse guy. Mad Dog, MD LABS, Teryl McClung, Kevin McClung, ALL THE SAME ! He would blame his wife's comments when he was the one telling his wife what to write in the various forums including this one. He and she had dozens of user names and e mail addresses that he would use. I cant imagine an 01 steel knife with a hard chrome plating and an epoxy handle would gain so much attention. To me, good riddance, the industry does not need a napoleon figure. The you tube video of him arriving at his shop in his Dodge truck barely able to see over the steering wheel was a good laugh.

Bill and The Viper's comments sum it up for me.

I had a hard enough time with the Cult of Phill Hartsfield....picked up a Kwaiken and used it...good knife....not badly priced, but nothing earthshattering either, and it cost about 1/3rd of the Mad Dog knives.

Difficult to imagine being anything but underwhelmed.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back