Mad Dog Knives VIM Closing shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did a little more searching on some old threads and now I understand a bit more. I guess every industry has bad seeds, and people who are not stand up types. Anyway, I was just posting my experiences with Mad Dog McClung. I believe he'll probably find a way to come back with another list of DORK GENIUS stories that someone will buy hook line and sinker. Sorry Cougar Allen for any association inferred by me to the other characters

It is indeed too bad. I had some of Allan's work back in the day. I had a little knife he called the Chipmunk, and another larger hunter that didn't have a name.

The knives were impressive, priced well, and the kydex work was top shelf. I was going to order more of his stuff, but SHTF and all of a sudden he was gone.

It's a bummer to lose a quality knife shop to unfortunate circumstances. They not only offer us another outlet for our shiny toy fetish, but they provide a livelihood and a touch of economic development that is getting harder and harder to find, especially in rural America.

One can only hope that something positive... a life lesson, a business learning experience, or the like.... comes from it somehow.

Yeah, all this talk about the ATAK got me re interested in getting an MPK-S again. Dont know much about its reputation other than the write ups from Mission but it looks like a nice knife

First, ol' Walt "Doc" Welch presented my youngest son, a naval corpsman serving with the Marines at the time, with an ATAK. Unfortunately it was later stolen.

As for Mission knives, I like 'em a lot. Have one of the 10 prototypes of the original A2 steel MPKS produced for introduction at the 1999 SHOT Show. (Got it from John Moore with Rick Schultz okay... the one shown below without a lanyard hole... http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/81815-Why-isn-t-Mission-Knives-as-popular-as-MD ). Current have 4 Mission knives here (1999-2004 models):
4xMPK_sm.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice !! I was watching a MPK-S on ebay for quite awhile, I think they were asking $220 or so, when I posted the above message here, it sold that day ! Another will turn up eventually. I enjoyed reading the tests

Very nice bald1, thank you very much. I've done quite a bit of reading on the Titanium knives and I know they have a place for several people, I am just more interested in the large MPK-S. But not in a hurry. The knife at the top of your pic is the model I am looking for

Wow, there's a few names I've not seen in years. Kevin and Allen... Both were/are talented makers that went south. I liked both of their work. Sad drama takes over business sense.

Like sand through the hourglass, these are the days of our knives.

[video=youtube;D4G1lr30bzc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4G1lr30bzc[/video]

Never met Kevin, but knew people that knew him most had good things to say about him personally. And of course the infamous Tusk Breakage and ATAK that Turber tested and the controversy that went with those two tests.

Sad to see any knife company go under, but what can you do when things are mismanaged.

His knives are outrageously overpriced, imo. I also tend to get suspicious of any "Combat Operators" or "Ex Alphabet Agency Agents" that suddenly spring up in the knife biz.

Would you rather buy a knife from a guy who was a "combat special forces operative" for 35 years and has been making knives for 5, or.. a guy who's been making knives for 40 years?

Maybe it's just me, but for seven grand I would expect more than a nice grind and a chrome coat he probably had done by somebody else. I'd prefer to see engraving, exotic materials, a lot of "delicate hand operations" and one of a kind custom-ness. Seven grand for a knife that looks like all the rest is a bit much.

Yeah, I remember the craziness and uproar back in the day. I really had no idea he was still in business. He and his devoted customers always struck me as kind of a cult and I never saw the justification for the prices he charged.

Anyone know where McClung ended up after his divorce? Perhaps he was recalled to a super hi tech meeting to interview Putin

You are allowed to start a new thread instead of dredging up an old one on this tedious subject.

This is such an old thread I doubt anyone is still engaged but I just had to put forth my experience with Mad Dog and Teryl. My husband Derek (RIP) and I were lucky to count the McClungs and their children as close friends. We were welcomed into their home with open arms when we visited them. They were generous, fun, and showed us much love. We hung out at the shop and I was blessed one day when I admired the first dagger Kevin created. He gifted it to me on the spot. I cherish it to this day. I think it is easy to trash a person when you might not have an actual relationship with them. I love Kevin’s larger than life personality, I love his stories, I watched him show up and make knives when his hands ached beyond belief, and he spoke of the people who bought his knives with nothing but respect and dedication.
I miss him now and my life was better for him being in it. I have many of his kick ass knives and will, in spite of other’s opinions, cherish them.
Also shout out to Ernie Emerson for his off the charts blades and contribution to the industry as well as the Strider boys. ;$

This is such an old thread I doubt anyone is still engaged but I just had to put forth my experience with Mad Dog and Teryl. My husband Derek (RIP) and I were lucky to count the McClungs and their children as close friends. We were welcomed into their home with open arms when we visited them. They were generous, fun, and showed us much love. We hung out at the shop and I was blessed one day when I admired the first dagger Kevin created. He gifted it to me on the spot. I cherish it to this day. I think it is easy to trash a person when you might not have an actual relationship with them. I love Kevin’s larger than life personality, I love his stories, I watched him show up and make knives when his hands ached beyond belief, and he spoke of the people who bought his knives with nothing but respect and dedication.
I miss him now and my life was better for him being in it. I have many of his kick ass knives and will, in spite of other’s opinions, cherish them.
Also shout out to Ernie Emerson for his off the charts blades and contribution to the industry as well as the Strider boys. ;$

You were yet another GULLIBLE person roped in or you are a member of his family as shill. If you were at his home in AZ you know the way he and his family lived. A trash heap with his shop not much better.

So you've been here almost 8 years and your first post is on a thread that was started 3 years ago...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back