"Made in Sheffield" 1830-1930, A golden age ?

Hi Augie, I'm grabbing this opportunity to make some observations (from down-under) while the real experts are still asleep. Your 'square-pointed Royal Navy knife' by "Hunter Sheffield" is a real beauty. The "W↑D4" stamp indicates that it was supplied under a 'Military contract' rather than for the Royal Navy - the WD being the War Department. Examples are well documented by Ron Flook in his book “British & Commonwealth Military Knives" on pages 126, 127 and 128. Their use by the military, as indicated by the W↑D stamp, appears to have preceded the Boer War by some years as Flook (Plate 291 page 128) notes an example that is dated 1878 and tang stamped ‘DEANE & CO.’. The "out of service" stamping is uncommon and certainly adds value.

Knives stamped "Hunter Sheffield" are not uncommon, I have one "Hunter Sheffield" square-pointed Royal Navy knife but nowhere near the quality of yours, and also a couple of 'Boer War Jack Knives' similarly stamped, however it is difficult to know which of the four Sheffield cutlery manufacturers with "Hunter" in the name is the actual maker of these clasp knives. I favor "M. HUNTER & SON LTD" as they appear to have been in business around the time of manufacture of your knife. If you don't already have access to the online version of "Tweedale's Dictionary of Sheffield Cutlery Manufacturers" it can be accessed at https://hawleysheffieldknives.com/

Lawrie

Hi Augie, I'm grabbing this opportunity to make some observations (from down-under) while the real experts are still asleep. Your 'square-pointed Royal Navy knife' by "Hunter Sheffield" is a real beauty. The "W↑D4" stamp indicates that it was supplied under a 'Military contract' rather than for the Royal Navy - the WD being the War Department. Examples are well documented by Ron Flook in his book “British & Commonwealth Military Knives" on pages 126, 127 and 128. Their use by the military, as indicated by the W↑D stamp, appears to have preceded the Boer War by some years as Flook (Plate 291 page 128) notes an example that is dated 1878 and tang stamped ‘DEANE & CO.’. The "out of service" stamping is uncommon and certainly adds value.

Knives stamped "Hunter Sheffield" are not uncommon, I have one "Hunter Sheffield" square-pointed Royal Navy knife but nowhere near the quality of yours, and also a couple of 'Boer War Jack Knives' similarly stamped, however it is difficult to know which of the four Sheffield cutlery manufacturers with "Hunter" in the name is the actual maker of these clasp knives. I favor "M. HUNTER & SON LTD" as they appear to have been in business around the time of manufacture of your knife. If you don't already have access to the online version of "Tweedale's Dictionary of Sheffield Cutlery Manufacturers" it can be accessed at https://hawleysheffieldknives.com/

Lawrie

Lawrie, thank you so much for all the information and for the link, I have been looking forever for an on-line resource for Sheffield knives and never found that one. Thank you also for clearing up the stamp that is overmarked by the twin arrows, I can see the W⬆️D4 now that you point it out. I had found one reference that stated the "out of service" stamping was rarely seen on knives.

Last edited:

Lawrie
Outstanding post Lawrie, it's great to see you here :thumbsup:

Defiance of Old Age!!! :)
Worn and tattered, this knife's elegance and good design still show through!!
This long, slim sleeveboard, single-spring knife still walks spritely and speaks loudly!!
The pressed stag has suffered from age, and has been lovingly, if crudely, repaired!
But the design of this knife, besides its great build quality, is quite astounding!!
The bolsters used to be referred to as "spooned", and now are called "pinched". They have a curved outlining thread cut in, and are proportioned to the long knife!! All tang faces are stamped; Abram Brooksbank Sheffield,
and opposite, Defiance under a Cannon picture!! 4 1/8" long, with banner shield, the knife presents itself as discreet but useful!!:cool:Abram Brooksbank 1.jpgAbram Brooksbank 2.jpgAbram Brooksbank 3.jpgAbram Brooksbank 4.jpg

This long, slim sleeveboard, single-spring knife still walks spritely and speaks loudly!!
The pressed stag has suffered from age, and has been lovingly, if crudely, repaired!
But the design of this knife, besides its great build quality, is quite astounding!!
The bolsters used to be referred to as "spooned", and now are called "pinched". They have a curved outlining thread cut in, and are proportioned to the long knife!! All tang faces are stamped; Abram Brooksbank Sheffield,
and opposite, Defiance under a Cannon picture!! 4 1/8" long, with banner shield, the knife presents itself as discreet but useful!!:cool:View attachment 1589733View attachment 1589734View attachment 1589738View attachment 1589739

Very nice Charlie, I have always liked Abram Brooksbank knives, and their cool stamp (sometimes used on the blade). Here is all that is left of an old Thomas Turner Lambsfoot, which I only bought to take a look at the bolsters :)

D2SlP3w.jpg

And another Abram Brooksbank. Not a Whittler, a 3-blade Penknife ;) :thumbsup:

KS3wVWc.jpg

2Jf3BGk.jpg

QbQq44z.jpg

E1GqFOH.jpg

Excuse my potato pullers in the pics. I cannot seem to position a knife favourably for a photo unless holding the thing:)
J Nowill & Sons (manicuring knife?) at a shade over two and a half inches.
Quite the history and a beautiful little piece imo.

I understand, probably the smart thing to do but have to admit to being a complete heathen as I would put a razor edge on it ;)
Yeah, we all have our own reasons for enjoying/appreciating traditional knives.
There is no right or wrong... I mean, as long as it makes one happy, it's all good! 😊

Hello Mods. I just want to reiterate my request to make this thread a sticky. Too valuable to get buried and just get bumped occasionally.

and opposite, Defiance under a Cannon picture!! 4 1/8" long, with banner shield, the knife presents itself as discreet but useful!!:cool:View attachment 1589733View attachment 1589734View attachment 1589738View attachment 1589739
That is a real nice one Charlie, and .... for the very old Knife that it is, there is a lot of Blade left on the Main and on the Pen!

Your right -and thank you for taking our eye to those Bolsters! those small touches make all the difference, I think I have a Defiance stamped Pruner somewhere?

Hello Mods. I just want to reiterate my request to make this thread a sticky. Too valuable to get buried and just get bumped occasionally.

I do not spend much time on the forums these days so my input is not that valuable but I have always thought as well that this thread should be a sticky. This is where I go usually on those occasions I do visit. It is a very significant thread! In my opinion.

Possibly, but there are around 13 stickies already, some of which could be usefully combined. But I agree, this is a gem of a reference work , it's unlikely to vanish unless the Forum no longer cares about important things or becomes completely banal....so I believe it's safe ;)

Possibly, but there are around 13 stickies already, some of which could be usefully combined. But I agree, this is a gem of a reference work , it's unlikely to vanish unless the Forum no longer cares about important things or becomes completely banal....so I believe it's safe ;)
Will's right!! This beautiful thread always pops back up!! :thumbsup:

Back