"Made in Sheffield" 1830-1930, A golden age ?

It’s good to see the Crookes stamping surface now and then - nice score Ed, that Knife would probably date mid 1900’s?
Charlie - my friend a splendid JR, although I would like to sit down and speak with the person with the drill :)
You have some stunning Joseph Rodgers!
Feels later but what do I know, its unused condition maybe swaying me? Its an awesome tool with character and I hope to pass it along with a bit of me and my use imbued into it.
I am glad it made it to a good home, it really is a fine looking knife. I like the tang stamp quite a bit and, of course, I've become a bit partial to swell center jacks.
Pàdruig, should you ever set foot on the old sod and buy me a pint its yours!
Added this unused horn Joseph Rodgers 3 3/4" jack.

View attachment 1577380View attachment 1577381
Augie, crazy time travelling skillz:) That's sweet and crisp! Rodgers seem to sprinkle special magic dust on their babies, this one has lots, enjoy it.
Here's a user in a more proletariat guise, can't for the life of me date it, what with the bexoid and all.

Last edited:
Hey there Ed- hey quite possibly, that's a nice looking Joseph Rodgers there as well matey, some very nice Joseph Rodgers coming out of the Wood work lately ! Thank you for sharing your beautiful knives with us lucky Folk everyone! :):thumbsup:

This one has an insanely hard Pull- I would rate this a 10 out of 10 no less, no wonder it's unused! Beautiful Wood Handles and an almost unique Blade shape - getting somewhat near the Bunny Knife when side by side nothing like it- rather advancing into a long Turkish clip Point

sY4hPd2.jpg

tjQoIAK.jpg

nbJ7Ofx.jpg

Here's the more Bunny Shaped Knife by Southern & Richardson - another example that has very little use throughout its long life!..

t0BnfLO.jpg

huNqFcQ.jpg

Another slightly different Joseph Rodgers here, The Docker- not made too fancy- made to do Hard Work!

JN8b63j.jpg

DDPJ474.jpg

86k34Zq.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a user in a more proletariat guise, can't for the life of me date it, what with the bexoid and all.

Interesting knife :cool: With the Bexoid covers, it puts me in mind of the NAAFI knives made soon after WW2, but maybe it's been re-covered?

Some fantastic knives gents, really enjoying seeing your pics :thumbsup: Continuing with the Joseph Rodgers theme...

U82r8N6.jpg

Thank you for the warning on that Oil Jack!
I use Mineral Oil ( here we have a Baby Oil called Johnsons Baby Oil) seems to work well in the use of going over the blades and of course Oiling the Joints.

That Bone Joseph Rodgers is an absolute beauty Jack- I love seeing that Knife! also a great follow up with a couple more really nice JR's :)

Thank you Rob my friend for the comments. :thumbsup:

Thank you for the warning on that Oil Jack!
I use Mineral Oil ( here we have a Baby Oil called Johnsons Baby Oil) seems to work well in the use of going over the blades and of course Oiling the Joints.

That Bone Joseph Rodgers is an absolute beauty Jack- I love seeing that Knife! also a great follow up with a couple more really nice JR's :)
I always warn folks against it Duncan, I couldn't believe the mess it made :( We have Johnson's here too Duncan, and I sometimes use it for soaking old knives :) I hate the smell though, it takes me back to being dropped on my head as a baby! :D ;) Thanks mate, at 4", it doesn't get carried often, but I should take my JR knives out for some outdoor pics sometime :thumbsup:

That's what I was told Charlie (eg BL4). It made a mess of a bunch of knives, eating into the polish/patina of the blades, and gunking up the joints, horrible stuff 👎

WlDMESH.jpg
Thanks for the warning, Jack!! 😲 I use food-grade mineral oil, intended for cutting boards - no additives, hasn't failed me yet! a Half-liter bottle has lasted 10 years or so, and only half gone; from IKEA!!

LOL! :D Yeah, it's a biggie Charlie! :D And you know what it's like with those old Sheffield Jacks, every inch of frame is crammed with blade! :D :thumbsup:
Quite the opposite is this Small Grey Horn beauty!! 3 1/4", it is definitely smaller than I like to use, but I sure like to look at it!! :cool:
Grey Horn Lil 1.jpg
Philisophical question for you Sheffield knife folks; This knife tapers less than a mm (.79)!! Is it a Lambsfoot?? Or a Sheepsfoot??🤔

Quite the opposite is this Small Grey Horn beauty!! 3 1/4", it is definitely smaller than I like to use, but I sure like to look at it!! :cool:
View attachment 1578460
Philisophical question for you Sheffield knife folks; This knife tapers less than a mm (.79)!! Is it a Lambsfoot?? Or a Sheepsfoot??🤔
Beautiful knife Charlie, and still 1/2" bigger than the small Rodgers I posted earlier :) In my opinion, it's definitely a Sheepsfoot, and a great-looking one :cool: :thumbsup:

Back