"Made in Sheffield" 1830-1930, A golden age ?

Very handsome :) That's Edward VII (1901-1910) :cool: Like this one :thumbsup:

az1iBTn.jpg

Thank you Jack, always appreciate the information you provide on the Sheffield knives.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

This nice Joseph Rodgers showed up today, 3 3/8" jack with pretty nice horn handles, marked Cutlers To His Majesty.

View attachment 1527731 View attachment 1527732
Eww nice!
Lovely stamps and full blades at over 110 years old;) Have/will you sharpen and use?
Tell me, where does a fella find such an example as I'd love to come across similar.

Here is a diminutive example for entry in this thread.
Hallmark says, I believe, 1930 so just qualifies:)

Last edited:
Eww nice!
Lovely stamps and full blades at over 110 years old;) Have/will you sharpen and use?
Tell me, where does a fella find such an example as I'd love to come across similar.

Here is a diminutive example for entry in this thread.
Hallmark says, I believe, 1930 so just qualifies:)

Thank you, probably won't use although it is sharp enough to use. Takes a lot of looking and some luck, this one was an auction.

Augue - I LOVE that Knife. Wonderfully marked. Stag doesn’t need the mention- does it??

Thanks Duncan, most of the early Rodgers knives I see are in stag and it ages wonderfully. The Congress pattern was popular in the South and most of the vintage ones I find the seller is in the South. Always loved the Tobacco Blade stamp on the Rodgers Congress knives, posted this large Rodgers Congress many times before.

IMG_7840.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks Duncan, most of the early Rodgers knives I see are in stag and it ages wonderfully. The Congress pattern was popular in the South and most of the vintage ones I find the seller is in the South. Always loved the Tobacco Blade stamp on the Rodgers Congress knives, posted they large Rodgers Congress many times before.

View attachment 1571588

That looks fantastic :cool: :thumbsup:

I got this old thing almost exactly a year ago and have enjoyed carrying quite a bit since . It has always appeared to me to be a knife that fits the parameters the OP has asked for but I can not prove it because there is no blade stamp and most likely never was . I have posted it many times in other threads , but I would like for you folks who haunt this thread to give me your opinions who made it and when it was made . I think it was a parts knife made by a pretty good cutler prior to 1895 . It has Integral Bolsters a Squared spring , blade , and bolsters end .

Was the knife shape made to fit the Stag ????

Harry

Augie the size comparison really brings out just how much bigger the larger JR Congress is! - Wow!!! I am going to have to repeat myself and say that both of those knives are just gorgeous my friend.
Charlie that Stag Horseman’s Knife is incredible! Just a dream to land one in such fantastic condition, but my friend.... that Ivory is simply breathtaking!!! What an absolutely amazing Knife! That knife could easily be presented in a Josep Rodgers Book that shows their Elite range.
Harry I love that one - can’t blame you for carrying such a magnificent beast! Stag to die for.

Nice Congress/Tobacco patterns, John!! ;)

Joseph Rodgers really did Stag well, in their Heyday!! This is a 5" Horseman's knife!!View attachment 1571964

They also did Ivory well!! 3 1/2" Sportsman!!
View attachment 1571966
Two world-class knives Charlie :) :thumbsup:
I got this old thing almost exactly a year ago and have enjoyed carrying quite a bit since . It has always appeared to me to be a knife that fits the parameters the OP has asked for but I can not prove it because there is no blade stamp and most likely never was . I have posted it many times in other threads , but I would like for you folks who haunt this thread to give me your opinions who made it and when it was made . I think it was a parts knife made by a pretty good cutler prior to 1895 . It has Integral Bolsters a Squared spring , blade , and bolsters end .

Was the knife shape made to fit the Stag ????

Harry
I've been enjoying seeing you carry that beautiful knife Harry :) I don't think it's a parts knife in the way I'd use that phrase (a knife cobbled together from leftover parts into a 'mongrel' pattern). Don't forget that most of the Sheffield firms made widespread use of outworkers, who would have access to genuine parts and patterns, and there are any number of reasons why the blade/tang might not have been stamped. Many Little Mesters didn't even have a stamp. Please accept my apologies for the poor quality of these images from an undated Saynor, Cooke, & Ridal catalogue, but as you can see, they show a number of patterns, which have handles with quite extreme curves.

rjjC03P.jpg

bWNzlSR.jpg

5xIsfdk.jpg

psgYnDQ.jpg

d2kMdu3.jpg

I don't think anyone bothered to make a knife specifically to fit a piece of stag, I just think it's a well-made knife, made by someone with a good selection of high quality stag :thumbsup:

Back