"Made in Sheffield" 1830-1930, A golden age ?

I do carry the $28 Stag Pruner during the Summer and Fall . It takes a good edge and I do use it for pruning . It is a very sturdy knife and I Do Not Abuse it . Since I do like Stag and it has no brass in it , I like to use it . I think that the Old Feller who made it would be very proud that it is still going strong .
I almost always will carry another knife in the other pocket though for other cutting .
Mx7P0eP.jpg

Harry
How on earth did you find that knife for $28? Were you 6 yrs old?? 😁

How on earth did you find that knife for $28? Were you 6 yrs old?? 😁
The photo of it on my computer showed it to be very dried out and very dull and the minimum bid was $28 . So no one else bid on it . Obviously I did have to pay some $6 more for the freight , so it did actually cost me $34 . I lied , so sue me . As soon as I got it I brushed it up good with a Stiff Bristle and put some Mineral Oil on it , let it soak in for a small amount of time , and then buffed the High Spots off . Then I really looked at it good . Half/Stop Ron and I spent a couple hours in 2019 going over that knife . No one in my extended family actually understands why it was so unusual and hard to find .
I bought it in 2019 and I was 78 at the time .

Harry

I have tried for years to try to buy a Horseman's Knife , but they are usually more than I want to spend at the time . One just like your is pretty much like a Grail Knife to me . What does the Pile Side look like ??? It is very hard for me to stop looking at it . I have a good Imperial Barlow that I would trade you even up for it . LOL . Carry it in good health my friend .

Harry
Here's the pile side Harry. They are pricey like you say but I've managed to collect a few. More to come later.5A511C65-A952-4386-B428-A5DAB8BED285_1_201_a.jpeg

Yeah I'd say that pruner was the buy of a lifetime!

Firstly apologies for my last post on this thread - completely missed the dates and the Bengall definitely wasn’t old enough to be here.😳

l‘m hoping this one is but I am not an expert on this pattern. It’s my equal heaviest folding knife at 8.4ozs or 239g, the other being an all metal Joseph Rodgers later variation of this shape.

Joseph Allen & Sons

oRDoKJm.jpg

lwy9FY3.jpg

3sWeY2P.jpg

I realised I hadn’t included a shot of the other side, next to my Landers & Frary steel ….not from Sheffield 😀
020V48d.jpg

Last edited:
That's a fine looking Sheffield-made folder Ed, but it actually dates to the post WWII era.
Sorry I'm late to the show on this inclusion, (soon for exclusion as it doesnt meet criteria). Yourself, Jack and the Holy Bible itself Tweedales, are my go for knowledge so I don't doubt you but would love to know more! Is the pattern unique to later ww2 period?

Thinking similarly as above I placed it in that time frame. It's buttons are very similar in appearance and construction to some similar chequered patterned period slide knives. It was a heap of rust when it got it too, I was delighted it still had snap once squared away.
For the life of me I cannot find it now but I also distinctly remember finding an outline of a patent for this wraparound style knife either for Brookes himself or from that time frame. It eludes me now but I'll keep digging. Anyway love to know your reasoning:)

In meantime I proffer a wonderfully aged if humble pen knife made by the Rogers. The ivory is gorgeous. I don't think I've posted it here. Like most of my small Rogers collection it's an absolute scalpel.

Galvanic, I'm in awe of your knives in general but these ones from Army and Navy are super. A feature I love on some of these finds is inscriptions of name. What is wonderful is when they can be linked to an individual.

Last edited:
Firstly apologies for my last post on this thread - completely missed the dates and the Bengall definitely wasn’t old enough to be here.😳

l‘m hoping this one is but I am not an expert on this pattern. It’s my equal heaviest folding knife at 8.4ozs or 239g, the other being an all metal Joseph Rodgers later variation of this shape.

Joseph Allen & Sons

oRDoKJm.jpg

lwy9FY3.jpg

3sWeY2P.jpg

I realised I hadn’t included a shot of the other side, next to my Landers & Frary steel ….not from Sheffield 😀
020V48d.jpg
Nice Admiralty Pattern 301 Clasp Knife :thumbsup:

Sorry I'm late to the show on this inclusion, (soon for exclusion as it doesnt meet criteria). Yourself Jack and the Holy Bible itself Tweedales, are my go for knowledge so I don't doubt you but would love to know more! Is the pattern unique to later ww2 period?

Thinking similarly as above I placed it in that time frame. It's buttons are very similar in appearance and construction to some similar chequered patterned period slide knives. It was a heap of rust when it got it too, I was delighted it still had snap once squared away.
For the life of me I cannot find it now but I also distinctly remember finding an outline of a patent for this wraparound style knife either for Brookes himself or from that time frame. It eludes me now but I'll keep digging. Anyway love to know your reasoning:)

In meantime I proffer a wonderfully aged if humble pen knife made by the Rogers. The ivory is gorgeous. I don't think I've posted it here. Like most of my small Rogers collection it's an absolute scalpel.

Galvanic, I'm in awe of your knives in general but these ones from Army and Navy are super. A feature I love on some of these finds is inscriptions of name. What is wonderful is when they can be linked to an individual.
I'm flattered Ed, but the post you're replying to isn't from me, it's from my friend H herder , who has a superb collection of vintage knife catalogues (and vintage knives!). I'm not sure which knife is under discussion as H herder doesn't link to a post. Always important to keep these discussions current. Nice Rodgers Shadow Penknife :thumbsup:

I'm flattered Ed, but the post you're replying to isn't from me, it's from my friend H herder , who has a superb collection of vintage knife catalogues (and vintage knives!). I'm not sure which knife is under discussion as H herder doesn't link to a post. Always important to keep these discussions current. Nice Rodgers Shadow Penknife :thumbsup:
Sorry Jack the knife in question is
You were mentioned "only" in reference as being a 60 degree corner of the trifeca of Sheffield Wisdom:)
As I've said before, it is similarly a terrifying and somehow thrilling prospect that the knowledge base on this subject is not merely a simple click away on tinternet, but a dwindling part of our history.
A recent discussion on the pressed horn handles with Herder demonstrated this fact, such a shame knowledge of some of this history is slipping away!

Sorry Jack the knife in question is
You were mentioned "only" in reference as being a 60 degree corner of the trifeca of Sheffield Wisdom:)
As I've said before, it is similarly a terrifying and somehow thrilling prospect that the knowledge base on this subject is not merely a simple click away on tinternet, but a dwindling part of our history.
A recent discussion on the pressed horn handles with Herder demonstrated this fact, such a shame knowledge of some of this history is slipping away!
LOL! :D Thanks Ed :) Nice little knife, but I agree with H herder :) The form is unusual, but the wrap-around pattern isn't :thumbsup:

LOL! :D Thanks Ed :) Nice little knife, but I agree with H herder :) The form is unusual, but the wrap-around pattern isn't :thumbsup:
No worries Jack, yourself and Herder and other with this knowledge are appreciated.

So is it that the pattern is too modern or the condition is too favourable for an old knife? I'm sorry, I still don't understand the reasoning. I'm not looking to debate the finding, merely understand it;)
It's stamp is identical to the pic above of the English Jack Knife stamped GWR and it was an absolute mess when I got it.

Hi All

Still has great snap and lovely to carry after a minor clean up.
I am pretty certain that this says Brocksbank, Sheffield but I can’t find anything on the interweb except for Brooksbank ….does anyone know anything at all about this maker ? Thanks

Ig9H6tw.jpg

KmneiOh.jpg

S8fVuaY.jpg

p9P2HtM.jpg

Nice item, good backdrop too. Is it single-spring?

Isn't it actually Brooksbank knives? as in

Thanks Will - yes it is a single spring.
I thought it looked like a clear ‘c’ hence Brocksbank which of course would mean an incredibly rare & valuable knife from an obscure hitherto unknown maker….far more likely that it is a poorly stamped ‘o’ and most probably a Brooksbank 😁

Tang stamps and blade stamps for that matter are often mis-struck leaving weak lettering, similar with coin dies. It's still a very nice item though T Truggers and I would think it is in the time frame too :cool:

Back