"Made in Sheffield" 1830-1930, A golden age ?

Thomas Turner with tang stamps "T. Turner & Co. Cutlers to his majesty," "Encore T. Turner and & Co, Sheffield" and "Encore, oil joints, Sheffield." 3/58 closed, coined liners and box.
D59VrCC.jpg

rGPOt0V.jpg

R650QT1.jpg

Back springs and inside gold-gilded.
42rIIJ0.jpg

pBqd4tV.jpg

Closed shot of blades:
eE5kuNV.jpg
Awesome knife! :thumbsup: 🤠

Danno, that's my kind of knife for the pocket. I have a couple examples from the brand and both are stout well made knives also. Will you use it?
Your knife reminds me of a recent find from Parkin and Marshall which is a tinchy fifth pocket razor that has lovely walk and talk also.

Mike what wonderful thing to fix the eyes upon! What a fabulous find, I'm glad it's being minded by someone who'll appreciate it.
It's construction seems so crisp, exact, I wonder was it intended for an exhibition display or salesman sample? Either way it's very special and must rank in a shortlist of "best of" here. Did you acquire it in a shop called "Needful Things"!?:)

Now for it's poorer and well used cousin from Moss and Gambles

Last edited:
Thanks ed_is_dead ed_is_dead . Love the pearl on your Moss and Gambles and you've posted some great knives in this thread while keeping it alive. The guy I got that knife from said it was an exhibition knife from 1840-1860 but I have no idea if either is true.

Thanks ed_is_dead ed_is_dead . Love the pearl on your Moss and Gambles and you've posted some great knives in this thread while keeping it alive. The guy I got that knife from said it was an exhibition knife from 1840-1860 but I have no idea if either is true.
It's a great corner of the internet this thread, it's good it's still active. Your find is something I have saved the photos of and will look at them for some time.
Maybe Jack can expand on a date range? His Majesty hints Edward to me otherwise it's pre Vic which might have had G (crown) R V for George IV but I could be totally wrong in all this as is often the case.
One thing's for certain the best of the best made that piece, enjoy it!

Thanks Ed. I will not use it. I like your lovely little "tinchy fifth pocket razor", very similar to my last posted. The Moss & Gambles pearly and the G.Butler 4 blade senator are great pieces as well.👍

It's a great corner of the internet this thread, it's good it's still active. Your find is something I have saved the photos of and will look at them for some time.
Maybe Jack can expand on a date range? His Majesty hints Edward to me otherwise it's pre Vic which might have had G (crown) R V for George IV but I could be totally wrong in all this as is often the case.
One thing's for certain the best of the best made that piece, enjoy it!
I'd say you are correct. IF it were an exhibition knife from that era it would have said Cutler to Her Majesty (Victoria 1837--1901) or possibly cutler to Their Majesties as Prince Albert was alive then as Prince consort. It is possible that it refers to George IV 1820-30 or William IV 1830-37 but I somehow doubt it. Royal Warrants were issued in their reigns and rivals Rodgers got one- Under Five Sovereigns- but it was in Victoria's time that Royal Warrants really took off and became very nice freebies for the already immensely rich Royal Family. Plus glittering publicity for firms.

I have the feeling that the MOP industry for knife handles, inlets in furniture, snuff boxes, objects d'art became very fashionable in the Victorian era with industry in the material booming. So, I'd estimate Edward VII 1901-10 as the most likely, also the type of box it's in and condition suggest Edwardian. whatever Mike Robuck Mike Robuck has landed a sensational piece of high workmanship, those gilded liners and backsprings, very firmly part of The Golden Era :thumbsup:

dl1mMSj.jpg

Last edited:
Thomas Turner with tang stamps "T. Turner & Co. Cutlers to his majesty," "Encore T. Turner and & Co, Sheffield" and "Encore, oil joints, Sheffield." 3/58 closed, coined liners and box.
D59VrCC.jpg

rGPOt0V.jpg

R650QT1.jpg

Back springs and inside gold-gilded.
42rIIJ0.jpg

pBqd4tV.jpg

Closed shot of blades:
eE5kuNV.jpg
A stunning example Mike.

Back