"Made in Sheffield" 1830-1930, A golden age ?

Coffee pruners from the 1894 catalogue.

My initial thoughts were this was not George V but the earlier G. I enquired with Mr Levine and he assures me it is V so this one perhaps scraping by to meet this threads date prerequisites.

It's a purposeful tool which feels great in hand and it's edge seems to have been thankfully spared some of the more creative attempts we see in sharpening a recurve. Love the scratted bone and tapering tang.

Steve, absolutely loving the Butler Lambs foot Jack's. The figuring/pocket wear respectively on the stag is so appealing, what a lovely addition to your collection. We share a love of the Butler ART era.
The Wostenholm lamb foot is gorgeous too.
It's gas the way this thread emerges back into life as it does :) I was unaware of your posting having left mine half done to cook the kids dinners, great to see it tended with such beauties.

Steve my friend, those two Butlers are absolutely gorgeous- Great Finds - Great Viewing!:)

Thanks mate !

Steve, absolutely loving the Butler Lambs foot Jack's. The figuring/pocket wear respectively on the stag is so appealing, what a lovely addition to your collection. We share a love of the Butler ART era.
The Wostenholm lamb foot is gorgeous too.
It's gas the way this thread emerges back into life as it does :) I was unaware of your posting having left mine half done to cook the kids dinners, great to see it tended with such beauties.

Thanks Ed !

Your Coffee pruner is amazing !

Really that Coffee pruner is astounding: all steel, Shear steel, scratted bone, I'd certainly say it's a very old knife. 1910 -36 seems far too new....and it's an unusual archaic pattern.:cool: Might be The Prince Regent after all.

Last edited:
Joseph Rodgers

Vulcan

53453842544_960a2b965e_o.jpg

53453526061_5594ea358c_o.jpg

GW I*XL

[
53489657454_933657bae3_o.jpg

53360662876_a0c9c450c6_o.jpg

52751379122_c4848940a6_o.jpg

Albert Oates

53459747090_61fd9840f7_o.jpg

Baxter

Holborn Surgical Inst. Co.

ed_is_dead ed_is_dead Here's an interesting thread from long ago about Shear Steel. One of the posters says it was used on pocket-knives until WW I in Sheffield. By the LOOK of that Coffee Pruner, the scratted handles, pattern, and steel it's hard for me to imagine it's a c20th knife, I suspect it is older... Much of the thread is about the use of Shear Steel, making it and in particular, saw blades but it does contain intriguing parts for the knife connoisseur too.

Coffee pruners from the 1894 catalogue.

My initial thoughts were this was not George V but the earlier G. I enquired with Mr Levine and he assures me it is V so this one perhaps scraping by to meet this threads date prerequisites.

It's a purposeful tool which feels great in hand and it's edge seems to have been thankfully spared some of the more creative attempts we see in sharpening a recurve. Love the scratted bone and tapering tang.
What a great find Ed!!! I've got a similar one myself!!ScrattedHawk1.jpg

Back