"Made in Sheffield" 1830-1930, A golden age ?

Another SEO&S
nFl86mh.jpg

and an R. Bunting & Son
i7st5Df.jpg

aaWwG1G.jpg

I know this thread is quiet these days, but I have a question that maybe best answered by those who used to frequent this page.
I’m looking for information on both a London and Sheffield maker with the same name.
A George Palmer is known to have been a cutler to his majesty in 1817 working on St James St. London, but I’ve found little information or examples of his work beyond that, including early history, working dates etc.
I’ve have second hand information about a George Palmer working in Sheffield 1830-1837 as Palmer, and then onward to 1870 as Palmer & Son, ending when tragedy hit and both father and son were killed in a fire. This info was in a collectors entry to his personal notes but can’t point to where the info. came from originally.
I have two examples of simply marked "Palmer" knives. A fleam and a large folder. I’ve never posted photos here and would with some prodding and info on the best way to post pics on this site. The fleam is a brass cased type, two blades, steel rivets, horn well type guard, early production. The stag folder is a monster at 7 1/2" closed, 6 1/2" blade, early 1800’s production in original slip case and mint shape for age.
If anyone can point to info. for George Palmer working in either Sheffield or London I would be in your debt. I’d love to post pics if anyone can describe the best way to.(I’m used to simple point and post techniques!)
Thanks!
Thomas

Last edited:
"The London Knife Book", by Ron Flook, has 4 entries for Palmer: PALMER, GEORGE, Cutler to the Royal Family. 1 St. James St. Pall Mall 1820 - 1836. No Royal Warrant listed for 1836.; PALMER J., 40 Castle St., Leicester Square 1820 - 1836.; PALMER, JOHN, Inventor of the Absolutorism razor rectifier. 11 and 12 Royal Arcade Pall Mall 1832; and PALMER, WILLIAM THOMAS, Working Cutler. 68 Lots Road, Chelsea 1895 - 1915.
The above are word for word from the book, and all the information there is.

"Tweedale's Directory of Sheffield Cutlery Manufacturers 1740 - 2013", by Geoffrey Tweedale, has 2 entries for Palmer: Palmer Brothers, William Palmer (1837 - 1906) and Edward Harridon Palmer (1840 - 1891). They both served as apprentices as spring knife makers and by 1868 were working together in Rokingham Street. Palmer Bros, Cambridge Street, was listed in directories between 1880 and 1888.; Donal Ashford Palmer, He was born in 1887. He does not appear to have been a cutler himself but started at Joseph Rodgers as general manager in 1926.
The above are paraphrased from the book.

You can post photos from a hosting site. I have no idea how to do that, but, if you search you should be able to find instructions somewhere. If you have a paid membership (not sure if there is level requirement or not), you can post pictures directly from your computer.

Join Imgur, it's free and easy to use. Go to your own gallery of pics there, copy the link using forums& message board (can't remember the wording) write your post here and the paste the link which will appear as an image.

We NEED to see these pics.

danno50 danno50 Has given us good info, all I can add is that Palmer is a common name in England, probably the US too.

It is quick, free, and easy to join Imgur. You can then upload photos, and edit the BBCode into your post above. I dare say there's info on posting pics in the Technical sub-forum :thumbsup:

Thomas, if you re-post, do you think you could re-edit one of your deleted posts above please, this thread is getting to be a bit of a mess?

Thanks

Jack

Thomas, if you re-post, do you think you could re-edit one of your deleted posts above please, this thread is getting to be a bit of a mess?

Thanks

Jack
I’ve tried deked but can’t figure out how to remove completely

Thanks

Jack
Thanks Jack,
I feel like a hack. Not only can I not post photos properly for all to see, I can’t figure out how to completely delete a post. I would’ve done it I’ve tried a bunch of times. What am I missing?
Best,
Thomas

Thanks Jack,
I feel like a hack. Not only can I not post photos properly for all to see, I can’t figure out how to completely delete a post. I would’ve done it I’ve tried a bunch of times. What am I missing?
Best,
Thomas

You can't completely delete a post, so there's no post there, but what you can do is, instead of making another post beneath it, you can just edit your new post into the first post. You're a Gold Member, so as long as it isn't too large, you can upload a photo directly from your computer or smartphone, or you can use a photo hosting site. You're clearly having some difficulties, so how about learning how to do this in the Technical forum, where questions like this are regularly addressed? Good luck, and I hope we can see your knife at some point :thumbsup:

Here is a Sheffield made lobster. At 3 3/8", it is a little larger than the average lobster. Stamped "Carrick Bros/237 Argyle St/Glasgow", or portions of that, on the three cutting blades. It is also stamped "Sheffield/Made" on the pile side of the master blade. I could find very few references to Carrick Bros on the internet. There was a Carrick Bros at 237 Argyle St from 1922 to 1934. They were plane makers. I also found reference to a Carrick Bros Cutlers straight razor, which claimed it was made in the middle of the 20th century. My impression is that this knife is a little older than 1922??

RIMG2022.JPG RIMG2023.JPG RIMG2027.JPG RIMG2028.JPG RIMG2029.JPG RIMG2030.JPG RIMG2031.JPG

Here is a Sheffield made lobster. At 3 3/8", it is a little larger than the average lobster. Stamped "Carrick Bros/237 Argyle St/Glasgow", or portions of that, on the three cutting blades. It is also stamped "Sheffield/Made" on the pile side of the master blade. I could find very few references to Carrick Bros on the internet. There was a Carrick Bros at 237 Argyle St from 1922 to 1934. They were plane makers. I also found reference to a Carrick Bros Cutlers straight razor, which claimed it was made in the middle of the 20th century. My impression is that this knife is a little older than 1922??

View attachment 1289551 View attachment 1289552 View attachment 1289553 View attachment 1289554 View attachment 1289555 View attachment 1289556 View attachment 1289557

Nice Lobster :) Argyle Street is one of the main shopping street in the centre of Glasgow, so perhaps a factor, rather than a manufacturer? A shame not to know the actual manufacturer, but I think you can date it from the information you have :thumbsup:

Back