"Made in Sheffield" 1830-1930, A golden age ?

“In May 1912, I visited a small-arms factory with the object of studying erosion and fouling in rifle barrels. Shortly afterwards I prepared with the nature and condition of steel favourable to the resistance of both erosion and fouling, and suggested a number of steels whose use would probably lead to immediate improvements in the life and efficiency of rifle barrels. [The article then quotes extensively from the report Brearley subsequently submitted, and the suggestions he made.]

“The reader will observe that my early work on high chromium steels was not inspired by an intention or hope on my part of discovering a stainless steel. I was simply studying certain problems relating to ordnance.”

“When microscopic observations of these steels were being made, one of the first noticeable was that the usual re-agent used for etching the polished surface of a micro-section would not etch, or etched very, very slowly those steels containing the low carbon and high chromium. I found, moreover, with both the usual re-agents, and particularly with some new re-agents, that the same steel would sometimes etch and sometimes not etch.

“I was therefore satisfied, so far as corrosion with the etching acids were concerned, that merely to specify the composition of the material was not sufficient, because from the same bar of steel one could cut a piece and then a second piece, and a third piece, and in different conditions of heat-treatment some of these would etch...and some would not etch.

“The significance of this observation is that etching is a form of corrosion, and that the specimens behaved to vinegar and other food acids as they behaved with the etching agents.

“The use of the material for ordnance purposes, as originally intended, appeared to excite no interest. But I reported later on the unusual non-corrosive properties of the material to each of the firms with whom I was associated. One of my reports suggested a large number of purposes for which this material might be advantageously used, including cutlery.

“Nobody was impressed by my suggestion. Perhaps the idea of producing on a commercial scale a steel which should not corrode sounded ridiculous; at least my directors failed to grasp the significance of it.

“From the end of 1913 onwards I lost no opportunity of urging the usefulness of this steel for cutlery purposes. Some of the steel was ultimately sent to two Sheffield cutlers for making into blades. Of one of these trials I knew nothing at the time, and the other I learned only incidentally. But from records which came into my possession at a later date I know that after several months the steel was reported to be useless for cutlery purposes on account of difficulties in forging, grinding, and hardening. This conclusion was warmly supported by Mr Ethelbert Wostenholme and acted upon by Firth’s”

“I was naturally disappointed to learn the new steel was thought to be inherently unsuitable for the manufacture of cutlery, and that in other ways Firth’s were apparently neglectful of its value. I was sure they were mistaken, and expressed myself to that effect in less polite terms than might, I dare say, have been chosen...Perhaps I made myself a nuisance; at any rate I got the idea that Firth’s thought the steel was dead and damned as far as cutlery was concerned, and not otherwise worth bothering about. I do not complain of this. I was simply not prepared to accept the adverse decision as final.”

Last edited:
“In June, or possibly July, 1914, I met a cutlery manager who realised that a rustless steel which might be made into table blades might be worth bothering about. I was introduced to Mr Ernest Stuart by my brother-in-law, and found that we had been to school under the same master. Mr Stuart was sceptical that a rustless steel could possibly exist, but was willing to work the small sample provided into cheese knives, and refused to be helped by any information I could give him about forging temperatures.

“A week later Mr Stuart produced the knives he had made and pronounced them to be both rustless and stainless; and at that moment, no doubt, his firm’s mark, ‘Rusnorstain’, was in his mind. But the steel, said Mr Stuart, was very hard, and all his adjectival stamping tools were ruined. The first knives made are still in use, and looking like new in my home.

“Mr Stuart tried a second time, still refusing help, and produced finished knives without damaging the forging and stamping tools – but such knives! They were brittle and very hard, and when fractured were like cast iron.

“The steel had been made hot, said Mr Stuart, so that it would work easily, and he was right about it having to be made hot.

“I was invited to witness the third attempt, I knew nothing of knife-making, and had not previously seen a single table-blade of any kind made. But I knew the temperature at which this particular steel could be most easily worked and most efficiently hardened, and in the course of an afternoon we made a dozen or more blades.

“Through the Amalgams Company I had bought a hundred-weight of steel from Firth’s. Their invoice reads: ’18 bars 1/2in Sq Firth’s F.A.S. Steel. 1 cwt 13lbs, at 1/1 per lb (F.A.S. signifies Firth’s Aeroplane Steel.) The point about this item is that the material (which is not described as stainless or rustless or non-corrosive), and also the experimental costs were not provided by Firth’s. Part of this steel was made into knives, which were distributed, generally in odd ones, among my friends and Mr Stuarts’s, with the request that they should be returned if by contact with any kind of food, fruit, or condiment, they could be stained or caused to rust. Not a single knife failed the test.

“Mr Ernest Stuart was at that time the cutlery manager at Messrs R. F. Moseley’s. It is due to him to say that from the very first trials he had confidence in the possibilities of the steel. He made unremitting efforts to adapt the process of knife-making to the unusual qualities of the steel. So far as the initial use of stainless steel for cutlery is concerned, Moseley’s are the firm to whom credit is due.”

"He [Mr Stuart] would have liked a monopoly, and so would other firms who about this time were plaguing my life for samples and information. I had no samples, of course, and could only refer them to Firth’s. Firth’s were not, I thought, nearly so pleased as they might have been.

“The steel declared dead and nigh worthless was made an absorbing topic of conversation among cutlers and steelmakers and the subject of newspaper comments. But I was proud to hand Moseley’s orders to Firth’s and hoped they would be glad to receive them.”

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the comments on my horseman's knife.
Nice John Watts horseman's knife, Jack.:thumbsup: I enjoyed your last 3 posts regarding Mr. Brearley's troubles with Firth and am looking forward to more. That was a considerable amount of typing.

Thanks guys for the comments on my horseman's knife.
Nice John Watts horseman's knife, Jack.:thumbsup: I enjoyed your last 3 posts regarding Mr. Brearley's troubles with Firth and am looking forward to more. That was a considerable amount of typing.

Thank you my friend, I'm pretty worn out! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

“It appeared to me that the sale of stainless steel to all and sundry in the cutlery trade would bring discredit on it unless the manufacturers were taught how to handle it, and as I thought it could not be handled at all by many firms, owing to lack of the necessary plant, I suggested that the steel should be sold as heat-treated blanks requiring only ordinary cutlery operations to make them up into knives. I suggested further that it might be found possible to confer some privileges on me in respect of the manufacture and supply of such blanks.

“As I was personally ignorant of the varied relationships between gaffers and cutlers, the discussion of this proposal was postponed until Mr Ethelbert Wostenholm could be present.

“I find it difficult to describe what was happening at this stage. I know quite well what happened to me, but I do not know what was happening elsewhere.

“I was not called to the conference when Mr Wostenholme arrived, and do not presume to suggest what took place. What eventuated, however, was that, my proposal being negative, Mr Wostenholme was to sell the steel to the cutlery trade and I was to provide such information and assistance in the working of it as might be required.

“I was astonished to be thus ignored, and refused to give either information or assistance. On this being reported to Mr Fairholme [Firth’s assistant managing director], that gentleman wrote requesting me to see him at ten o’clock on the following morning. When I appeared at the appointed time he was not there, but had asked the secretary to talk matters over with me.

“As a result of that conversation I wrote Mr Fairholme a letter, of which the following is an extract:

‘Mr Best [the secretary] appeared to be under a misapprehension that any and all information possessed by the Amalgams Co. Ltd. was through me, at the disposal of the firm. I gather also that it was thought inadvisable that I should be interested in a concern like Amalgams Co. whilst in your employ. Those impressions are of fundamental importance, and I should be glad to have them repudiated or otherwise, as I am unwilling to accept or retain any engagement which cannot be carried out with perfect frankness.’”

“I was very much perturbed at the turn of events. The mischief apparently afoot was beyond my comprehension.

“Firth’s were evidently not grateful to me for having replaced the rejected corner-stone; or, so far as I could see, had made up their minds to sit tight on it this time and deny me any credit or voice in the matter.

“On further discussion it appeared that I was being more and more ignored. It was assumed and at last plainly stated that I had no rights in the matter….”

“[After ultimately being forced to resign from Firth’s] I was sorry to be separated from the new steel in which I had lost my heart…

“Early in 1915 an old gentleman of 75 years came from London to see me [in Sheffield]. He wanted to know about stainless knives. He was more enthusiastic about them than I felt at the time. He told me that he knew America well, and had considerable experience with patents. He left with the understanding that he might take steps to get an American patent for stainless in my name if he cared to go to the trouble and expense. Mr John Maddocks…was a perfect stranger to me, but he turned out to be a wonderfully active man, and a good friend. When he failed to get a patent as such, he came to Sheffield over and over again until, with his encouragement and the kindly aid of Sir Robert Hadfield, the late Dr Stead, and Mr Harbourd, a patent was ultimately obtained for an article which owed its stainless properties to three novel features:

1. That it’s chemical composition was within well-defined limits.

2. That it had been heat-treated to produce certain micro-structural characteristics, and

3. That it was metallically clean and in an undistorted condition.”

“The reader may well ask why patents were not applied for in 1913 and 1914. The answer is that no man takes out a patent for something he considers worthless. My ideas may have been optimistic, but Firth’s were quite otherwise, and as by the terms of my engagement I believed a patent could not be applied for in my name alone.

“I had first to show what a great idea there was behind stainless steel. This I was all along trying to do.

“But where I failed another succeeded in a manner which illustrates the saying about prophets in their own country. I prefer the part of the story to be told in the words of one of Firth’s directors. On 23 February 1914, this writer wrote to Mr Kilburn, of Kilburn & Strode, Patent Agents, as follows:

“’We have been for some time working on steels containing a very low percentage of carbon (eg 1%) and comparatively, a very high percentage of chromium, and have found that the material is very interesting in that, among other useful properties it resists corrosion to a remarkable degree. It can only be made in the electric furnace. During the recent visit of my friends abroad I noticed a specimen of non-corrosive steel which led us into conversation on the matter; and I found that they had been working on the same lines, but with the addition of a small percentage of nickel, which appears to considerably increase the resistance to the corrosive action of certain acids. My friends stated that they had applied for a patent in Germany some months ago, and as such patent, if granted, would give them priority. I got them to promise to communicate with us before dealing with the question of British rights.’

“ In the course of a long reply, Mr Kilburn said: ‘In my opinion, of course, assuming, novelty, it should be possible to get a good British patent granted covering a steel of special composition which enables a new product which possesses new properties. In view of the fact that your friends abroad are seeking to obtain a German patent on steel of this new composition, I think it would be of use from many points of view if you could delay making applications over here until you hear how their German application progresses.’”

“All this happened without my knowledge. I was never consulted, although according to agreement, I fancied I was joint owner in equal proportions of whatever value of property there might be in stainless steel. Curiously enough, although my pleasure and profit was ignored in favour of Mr Fairholme’s foreign friends, the lines of experimental inquiry pursued by them and by myself at Firth’s are not by any means parallel. They may have been simultaneous, and they may reach similar results, but they reach it by different means.”

Last edited:
“At the end of 1914, and indeed up to the date of issue of my American patent, Firth’s were not aware of the facts on which their patent claims were based. After I left their employ they attempted to make some stainless articles other than knives, and failed because they did not know that certain forms of heat treatment as well as some other precautions were indispensible.

“They knew what any other steel-maker who cared to analyse samples of the first cast of steel made, viz., that if they produced steels of practically identical analysis and sent bars of it to the cutler, he (the cutler) would produce stainless properties in a knife, nor did they know how far they might wander from the composition of the materials first produced without finding trouble.

“These statements regarding Firth’s almost complete ignorance of the features of stainless steel on which the patent claims were based have been sworn on affidavit by Firth’s. “

“When through the unremitting efforts of Mr Maddocks, a USA patent had been issued, he was all for visiting America to dispose of it. I was not willing that, at his advanced age, he should take so much trouble on my account, and finally he listened to my suggestion that we should try and sell it to Firth’s who had works in the States and might be able to make use of it as any other American manufacturer.

“I was not surprised, on making the verbal offer to Firth’s, to hear about my own rights under the terms of my old agreements. They claimed to be half-owners of the patent, which I did not think it worth denying, though I could not refrain from asking to whom the other half belonged.”

“Firth’s ultimately decided to buy a half-share in such patents as had been obtained, and to give effect to that arrangement, the Firth-Brearley Stainless Steel Syndicate was formed.”

“I sincerely hoped we had reached an amicable settlement. Firth’s, who had previously advertised themselves as the original discoverers of stainless steel, ceased to make the claim publicly as far as my observation went. It was agreed to exchange technical information, and Firth’s as well as [rival steel company] Brown Bayley’s [where Brierley had been Works Manager after leaving Firth’s] sold their steel as Firth-Brearley stainless.”

“This amiable atmosphere did not, however, last very long. Firth’s reverted to their old mark and again began to advertise themselves as discoverers, inventors, and originators...I was obliged to draw their attention to what I regarded as misrepresentation, and received for my pains a very unsatisfactory letter, written by Mr Fairholme with the full concurrence of his board of directors.”

[Two years later, Firth’s were forced to swear an affidavit, withdrawing their previous position, and accepting that they were unaware of the particulars of the necessity of exact heat-treatment of the steel until the issue of Brearley’s US patent. They had been advising cutlers to HT it at the wrong temperature. Brearley left a sealed envelope containing the full history of his discovery with the Cutler’s Company. It was not to be opened until 1960.)

14isbsHarryBrearleyjpg

Will Power, thanks, the Mappin horseman has a handle length of just a bit over 5-1/2 inches.

danno50, a classic horseman's model and I would suspect has carved horn handles with a bit of wear on them. While pressed horn (not pressed stag) certainly existed, Sheffield cutlers were highly skilled and prone to finish their work by hand and not machine. Beautiful carved handles of ivory, pearl, and horn were hand carved with files by the best Sheffield craftsmen primarily during the 19th and early 20th centuries.

Jack, fine examples shown in the big Butler (a handful and a half ), the military models, and the Watts horseman. Thanks for the great effort in posting so much information on Harry Brearley!!!
A brilliant man who certainly struggled with issues relating to his father and Firth company. He was evidently a better scientist than a businessman. There is quite a bit of information on stainless steel history on the internet, but most credit is given to Brearley for his refinement of the process. In Firth's book, it states that chromium steel (stainless) was actually first used in England at the "Atlas Works" as far back as 1871.

The Boy Scouts of America program was started in 1910, but was fashioned after a similar Boy Scout organization formed in England in 1908. England was also first to produce Boy Scout knives, and at least as early as 1910. Shown below is a Sheffield "Scout Knife" made by Christopher Johnson and probably from the 1920s. It has attractive multi-colored horn handles and a folding marlin spike. Also shown is a Sheffield catalog illustration from 1910 showing a "Boy Scout" model similar to the actual knife shown. Interesting that the English used a military marlin spike model as the style for the early Boy Scout knives.

View attachment 1422624

View attachment 1422626

Will Power, thanks, the Mappin horseman has a handle length of just a bit over 5-1/2 inches.

danno50, a classic horseman's model and I would suspect has carved horn handles with a bit of wear on them. While pressed horn (not pressed stag) certainly existed, Sheffield cutlers were highly skilled and prone to finish their work by hand and not machine. Beautiful carved handles of ivory, pearl, and horn were hand carved with files by the best Sheffield craftsmen primarily during the 19th and early 20th centuries.

Jack, fine examples shown in the big Butler (a handful and a half ), the military models, and the Watts horseman. Thanks for the great effort in posting so much information on Harry Brearley!!!
A brilliant man who certainly struggled with issues relating to his father and Firth company. He was evidently a better scientist than a businessman. There is quite a bit of information on stainless steel history on the internet, but most credit is given to Brearley for his refinement of the process. In Firth's book, it states that chromium steel (stainless) was actually first used in England at the "Atlas Works" as far back as 1871.

The Boy Scouts of America program was started in 1910, but was fashioned after a similar Boy Scout organization formed in England in 1908. England was also first to produce Boy Scout knives, and at least as early as 1910. Shown below is a Sheffield "Scout Knife" made by Christopher Johnson and probably from the 1920s. It has attractive multi-colored horn handles and a folding marlin spike. Also shown is a Sheffield catalog illustration from 1910 showing a "Boy Scout" model similar to the actual knife shown. Interesting that the English used a military marlin spike model as the style for the early Boy Scout knives.

View attachment 1422624

View attachment 1422626

Thank you for the kind words my friend. I've not heard that claim from Firth's before, I have to say that it sounds like rubbish, what do you think? In 2013, the anniversary of Harry Brearley's discovery was a big event in Sheffield, but I certainly didn't see that claim repeated! :rolleyes:

The founder of Firth's - Mark Firth - was from a humble background, like Harry Brearley, and lived alongside his workers. I am very familiar with his modest house, as it is now part of Sheffield University, I did my degree there in the 1980's. Of course, the following generations were different, growing up with privilege and entitlement. The same was true with many early industrialists, and the dynasties they established.

I had my toast this morning, buttered with one of my 'Cutlers to HIS Majesty' Joseph Rodgers stainless butter knives :D

The international Boy Scouts movement was absolutely enormous, and the Sheffield cutlers had decades of work supplying Scouts here, and in some other countries, primarily with sheath knives, which are still referred to as 'Scout Knives' in England. Folding patterns are far less common, and that is an absolutely beautiful example my friend, and in stellar condition. The Girl Guides (the USA originally had Girl Guides prior to the establishment of the Girl Scouts, and it's an interesting story) had a smaller folding knife, but also with a marlin spike, and in fact Ibberson's also later sold it as a small yachting knife.

I have an old folding Boy Scout knife, with what appears to be the same font on the blade, but it's an ugly knife, which some young lad 'improved', and some market-trader made a mess of trying to clean with a Dremel from the look of it o_O

09mKkJW.jpg

trpTwmW.jpg

This Maleham & Yeomans 'Scout's Woodcraft Knife' (which I gifted to John Maleham of A. Wright & Son) is an example of the Scout's sheath knife.

io9eieD.jpg

Gnlh1XS.jpg

y0d3YSb.jpg

Some lovely knives Dan and Jack :thumbsup: :thumbsup:....

Jack Black Jack Black - Thanks for taking the time and posting those quotes !! - Very cool and good reading :thumbsup: :cool: ...

Just as a related knife in terms of pressed horn - Here is a Joseph Haywood hawkbill (teapot trademark on tang) with pressed horn made to look like stag - you can actually see the layers of horn pressed together at the edges if one looks under high mag...

xYxqDYo.jpg

QtqS8O3.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting old Scout knives, Jack.:thumbsup:

Thanks for writing all of that info up, Jack. And thanks to all who have posted over the past few pages. Some really great additions to this thread!

Some lovely knives Dan and Jack :thumbsup: :thumbsup:....

Jack Black Jack Black - Thanks for taking the time and posting those quotes !! - Very cool and good reading :thumbsup: :cool: ...

Just as a related knife in terms of pressed horn - Here is a Joseph Hayward hawkbill (teapot trademark on tang) with pressed horn made to look like stag - you can actually see the layers of horn pressed together at the edges if one looks under high mag...

xYxqDYo.jpg

QtqS8O3.jpg

Thanks a lot guys, I'm glad that the Harry Brearley article was of interest, you can't beat a primary source :)

Great-looking Pruner Lee, I love the Haywood stamp :) :thumbsup:

wACc9I2.jpg

m3dz2Wa.jpg

Thanks Jack :thumbsup: :thumbsup:... At that size I would call it a beautiful boys knife :cool: - the handles look to be lovely cocobolo and the blade certainly does look long but I like that aspect :)... a very cool knife...

Thanks Jack :thumbsup: :thumbsup:... At that size I would call it a beautiful boys knife :cool: - the handles look to be lovely cocobolo and the blade certainly does look long but I like that aspect :)... a very cool knife...

Me too Lee, quite common on Sheffield knives :) Thank you for the kind words :thumbsup:

Jack - Beautiful old Brooksbank Whittler :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ... Thanks for sharing that knife - I've had a soft spot for whittlers lately :)...

Nice Jack - an old Oates knife :thumbsup: :cool: ... Those are indeed lovely bolsters... Glad to see this thread alive :) - I'll look for a few more to share too !!!

Nice Jack - an old Oates knife :thumbsup: :cool: ... Those are indeed lovely bolsters... Glad to see this thread alive :) - I'll look for a few more to share too !!!

Thank you Lee, looking forward to seeing more my friend :) :thumbsup:

Back