Magnacut Is In The House!!!

I had to try out a Magnacut Mule (just waiting on my scales to get here).

5bueJ5F.jpeg

I bet Swamprat will do a bang up job on the steel!!

Has anyone heard anything more about this elsewhere? I don’t know how much longer I can wait. LoL

Does anyone know if Magnacut will handle prying as well as a standard Ratmandu if it’s in the same thickness?

Does anyone know if Magnacut will handle prying as well as a standard Ratmandu if it’s in the same thickness?
No - I’m pretty sure it won’t.

It should hold an edge longer and resist staining better at the expense of toughness.

Might be wrong though - it has happened before.

Think of it like this, nearly as tough as 52100 (within a few foot lbs of toughness of 52100 at 61 Rc if the Magnacut ia run at 60.5 or so, with nearly twice the edge retention! And stainless.

Now, Busse/Swamprat/Scrapyard don't post ftlbs of toughness or Carta data...

But they also seem to be really dial in the properties they want, so they may squeeze even better toughness out of cpm Magnacut!!

Last edited:
Think of it like this, nearly as tough as 52100 (within a few foolish of toughness of 52100 at 61 Rc if the Magnacut ia run at 60.5 or so, with nearly twice the edge retention! And stainless.

Now, Busse/Swamprat/Scrapyard don't post ftlbs of toughness or Carta data...

But they also seem to be really dial in the properties they want, so they may squeeze even better toughness our of cpm Magnacut!!
Interesting point.

With such high edge retention in Magnacut, I’d be curious how it might compare to other Bussekin steels if run even lower. Say ~55-56.

Could they in theory end up with something even tougher than INFI with the same edge retention and higher stain resistance??
🤔🤔🤔
Prolly not…

Last edited:
Maybe Jerry will finally send someone over here to give us more details, or at least post something about it in the Busse section.

Often..... Not saying something, is saying something

Jerry just responded to the thread I started, about this thread over in the Busse forum.

This is the guy, Larrin Thomas

This is the stuff:

If you already have cpm cruwear with some DLC, you probably are good to go, but Magnacut is an interesting alternative.

The problem I see is getting the correct rockwell hardness to balance toughness and edge retention. At higher toughness, the edge retention suffers and vice versa.

If you look at the chart/graph numbers closely you'll see how that works.

Max toughness isn't THAT great, so maybe you just want to have enough to hold a stable finer edge which a lot of people value.

Ok a couple of edits:
I should mention this stuff has great corrosion resistance. I don't have a lot of issues with rust and I've also got a few knives in steels that just don't rust: H1 and LC200N, so sometimes I forget to mention corrosion resistance at all.

Second here's a video on some of that balancing act I mentioned above.

I look forward to seeing what Jerry's heat treat does for it.

Last edited:
I’m hoping we aren’t going to have to wait at least 6 months before seeing a Magnacut option. :-(

Back