Magnacut?

Question for the folks that have been using their inkosi/ Sebenza in magnacut. I own a inkosi in s35vn and was wondering if you are noticing a significant difference with the steel to justify buying the same knife?

Any help is appreciated!

I can tell you about my own sebenza use in s35vn vs magnacut. I have noticed that out of the box, the high HRC has made my magnacut sebenza's like laser beams. They are the sharpest CRK's I've ever had out of the box. S35vn is plenty good, but for regular EDC tasks, I've noticed that one difference.

Magnacut is moderately tougher and more corrosion resistant. Edge retention is the same. Is it noticeable? That depends on the user. But given other steels out there and how they compare, I’d say they’re very similar… meaning most users won’t notice much of a difference unless they’re swimming in salt water and batoning driftwood.

B5F7EE43-3AFC-43D8-8FB6-ED02D7E74F4B.jpeg

The high hardness equates to increased strength, which for me is the most noticeable difference. The s35 was always rolling over, reflecting light, especially at the belly of the drop point or near the tip of the insingo. Magnacut is much better.

I don't know what role the hardness plays in edge retention, but it seems to be sharper, toothier for longer.

I like how it sharpens better than S45VN, but it sharpens about as easily as S35VN. Outside of that, it is noticeably tougher when carving wood. I only have a Nyala to compare to my Inyoni though. Nyala in S35VN, and Inyoni in Magnacut.

I can tell you that my 31 in Magnacut is the easiest stropping knife I have ever owned. Couple of swipes and it's as sharp enough for a barber.

My old S35s didn't seem to do that.
Right? It's a very strange steel to me. It doesn't sharpen as easily as my Victorinox stainless steels of course. But for all the other qualities it has, the ease of sharpening seems almost alien.

Right? It's a very strange steel to me. It doesn't sharpen as easily as my Victorinox stainless steels of course. But for all the other qualities it has, the ease of sharpening seems almost alien.
I think the perceived difference in sharpening should be labeled ease of deburring. It's easy for me to sharpen because it forms a crisp burr that weakens on the stones and comes off easily.

I think the perceived difference in sharpening should be labeled ease of deburring. It's easy for me to sharpen because it forms a crisp burr that weakens on the stones and comes off easily.
I don’t understand what you said so I’ll just say it’s magic

I don’t understand what you said so I’ll just say it’s magic
Think about snapping something in half that is stiff as opposed to something which has to be bent back and forth multiple times until it fractures.

Having a burr, (the microscopic foil edge left behind upon sharpening), that is harder allows it to be fractured and removed more easily than one that bends back and forth during stropping or finishing on the stone.

Think about snapping something in half that is stiff as opposed to something which has to be bent back and forth multiple times until it fractures.

Having a burr, (the microscopic foil edge left behind upon sharpening), that is harder allows it to be fractured and removed more easily than one that bends back and forth during stropping or finishing on the stone.
Hmm so s35vn is gummier than magnacut?

No, the s35vn is not gummy. I always felt I had to refine the edge a little more to completely remove the burr root. Magnacut cleans up nicely with a more coarse edge. These are my impressions as a regular dude and not a professional sharpener. This also assumes diamond plates, as opposed to ceramics, aluminum oxide or other softer abrasives.

No, having a different steel doesn’t justify getting one. That comes from want, and why not have another CRK in a different steel.
There’s always going to be a trade off, so, for a higher hardness you give up some toughness. That’s going to depend on the work you do with your knife. From my use, I’ve chipped the edge of Magnacut doing the same thing with S35VN which hasn’t chipped. As far as edge retention, that’s going to depend on your sharpening skills and what you’re happy with when you sharpen your knife.
This is the way I look at it, with regular use, a knife is going to get dull regardless of the steel. Is it worth it to me to get a few more cuts, not at all. Is it an excuse/justification to buy another knife I don’t need, hell yes, and that’s why I’ve got a couple in Magnacut.

Ive found after carrying and using MagnaCut that I greatly prefer it over S45VN for sharpening, edge retention and chipping but If Im honest I still really like and maybe prefer S35VN as an all a rounder. I really like the toothy edge I get with the 35 and it never chipped on me like the 45 did, at least in CRK knives.

Last edited:
Compared to S35VN and S45VN, improved:
- hardness (resistance to deformation)
- toughness (resistance to chipping)
- corrosion resistance

As a bonus:
- takes a razor sharp edge like a tool steel
- ease of sharpening and deburring
- good edge retention, holds a toothy edge well

Is it better? For me it is, without a doubt.

No, having a different steel doesn’t justify getting one. That comes from want, and why not have another CRK in a different steel.
There’s always going to be a trade off, so, for a higher hardness you give up some toughness. That’s going to depend on the work you do with your knife. From my use, I’ve chipped the edge of Magnacut doing the same thing with S35VN which hasn’t chipped. As far as edge retention, that’s going to depend on your sharpening skills and what you’re happy with when you sharpen your knife.
This is the way I look at it, with regular use, a knife is going to get dull regardless of the steel. Is it worth it to me to get a few more cuts, not at all. Is it an excuse/justification to buy another knife I don’t need, hell yes, and that’s why I’ve got a couple in Magnacut.
Interesting on the Magnacut chipping. I have not been nice to my Inyoni at all, and it hasn't chipped at all. What did it chip on?

Interesting on the Magnacut chipping. I have not been nice to my Inyoni at all, and it hasn't chipped at all. What did it chip on?
Using it as an ice pick on a bag of ice that was half melted and removing burrs on a piece of 4” PVC

Using it as an ice pick on a bag of ice that was half melted and removing burrs on a piece of 4” PVC
That's weird, I just recently cut through a couple of copper staples by accident for my car bumper's box and I had no damage. I feel like the copper should be more strenuous than ice or pvc.

Reactions: 353
Back