Magnacut?

That's weird, I just recently cut through a couple of copper staples by accident for my car bumper's box and I had no damage. I feel like the copper should be more strenuous than ice or pvc.
Yeah, the ice baffles me also. I’m guessing I used the wrong angle to debut the pipe, more of a perpendicular angle that caused lateral stress. Most of the time, I put the blade at an angle and not 90 degrees to clean the pipe.

Yeah, the ice baffles me also. I’m guessing I used the wrong angle to debut the pipe, more of a perpendicular angle that caused lateral stress. Most of the time, I put the blade at an angle and not 90 degrees to clean the pipe.
Was this with the factory edge?

The PVC pipe burrs baffle me. Can't imagine that being a strain at any angle. I have to admit I've never used a knife as an ice pick. I wonder if parts of it were frozen harder than others.

The PVC pipe burrs baffle me. Can't imagine that being a strain at any angle. I have to admit I've never used a knife as an ice pick. I wonder if parts of it were frozen harder than others.
Even then on the mohs hardness scale ice is about 1.5 which is quite soft all things considered. It’s hard to find conversions from rockwell to mohs though, I’m sure they exist but they elude me

Reactions: 353
Ive found after carrying and using MagnaCut that I greatly prefer it over S45VN for sharpening, edge retention and chipping but If Im honest I still really like and maybe prefer S35VN as an all a rounder. I really like the toothy edge I get with the 35 and it never chipped on me like the 45 did, at least in CRK knives.
I was quite impressed by how readily the magnacut responded to the strop. I didn't do a whole lot of cutting when I had yours, but I did enough to have dulled out other knives.

I've not found the s45vn in my small particularly difficult to manage, and I've only chipped it once. Factory edge, cutting a bunch of landscape fabric that had gotten wrapped in the cutter head shaft of the stump grinder.

Does magnacut justify a new knife? Sure does if you want and can afford it.

This is hardly scientific, but here's some anecdotal evidence. I think the Magnacut offers a boost in edge retention when compared to s45vn and s35vn, specifically in drop point large Sebenzas. I'm aware of the CATRA charts, so we will chalk this up to heat treatment.

My user Sebenzas often do the following tasks. I have one in Magnacut that has been thus employed recently.

Yard work. I live in Mississippi, where we have obnoxious vines that tangle up your weed eater. I knife them at the root, attempting to keep the blade out of the dirt, but slips happen. I also cut and trim the weedeater trimmer line.

Cardboard. I attack the endless flow of cardboard boxes and trash in my house. If you have children, you will understand this. Having a shop savvy wife certainly contributes.

Zip ties. This is necessary more often than I realized until I started paying attention to what I'm cutting.

Wood. Yesterday, I removed the bark from a tree limb.

Other miscellaneous tasks besides. Clamshell packs, tape. Occasionally food. (Hollow grinds are ideal for cheese!)

To be clear, the factory edge wore down quickly, but my 600 grit edge has been resilient. I'm sure that the sXXvn versions of the Sebenza would have needed a visit to the crock sticks by now, if not a major resharpening. It's even better than some 20cv class steels from other manufacturers.

Last edited:
Back