Major Custom Project Announcement

I have some slot ideas for the custom project. I would like to try to make this knife as far from an exsisting design as possible. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate your feedback in a rough drawing.
I want to keep this as private as possible.
So if you have an idea please email it to me direct. browzer@infinet.com

------------------
Web Site At www.darrelralph.com

hello,
I was wondering what numbers were available and how soon you would need a first deposit on one. Thanks.,

Jon

All of this information, prices, numbers available, etc, is on the website http://www.theedgeequipment.com

Last I looked, I think 16 and 24 were still available. These knives start at under $400. You can take it up to over $1300 if you select full Damascus, Gold Lip MOP inserts, etc.

------------------
Chuck
Balisongs -- because it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!
http://www.balisongcollector.com

Fingers crossed. I sent my email and called, but no one was in. I'm hoping. Well, I guess I need to sell some plasma now.

Hi guys,

Sorry about the delay of a day in answering those emails. Just in from a business trip and playing catch up as quick as I can.

At this time all 25 serial numbers are spoken for. That is great news for those who have their serial number locked in and maybe not so good for those a little late to the table on this project...

Darrel, Chuck and I have discussed this problem and are working on a waiting list idea with the following idea:

1) The first 25 knives are the only GEMINI knives to ever carry a serial number (of course
smile.gif
)

2) People may order a non-serial numbered knife to be made and delivered after all the serial numbered knives are delivered to our collectors.

3) Should anyone drop out of the project their serial number will be offered to the first customer on the non-serial numbered order list (determined in the order in which the non-serial numbered knives are ordered).

We feel that this serves two purposes: (1) Ensures that we have a full edition of collector's editon serial numbered GEMINI knives to make should a collector have to drop out of the project for an unforseen reason and (2) Allows additional balisong fans the chance at a serial number is one should open up and the guarantee of a terrific custom made balisong knife (albeit without the collector's edition status / serial number) no matter what happens.

Obviously I am looking for some feedback from you guys on this idea - we think that this is the fair way to handle the issue of a waiting list / non-collector's edition GEMINI balisong knife orders.

In any case - only 25 serial numbers will ever be produced on the GEMINI balisong and these knives have absolute priority in terms of production and delivery dates with no work on any non-serial numbered knives to be done until all of the serial numbered run have been delivered to our collectors.

Let me know what you think of this guys and I will discuss further with Darrel and Chuck if need be as this is not set in stone.

Thanks for your help,

Kevin

------------------
Kevin Pensinger
The EDGE Equipment
sales@theedgeequipment.com

Contact The EDGE for your custom cutlery needs!

If you are a custom knife maker and you are reading this thread, take note. Darrel Ralph just booked 25 custom orders at $400 and way up each in 12 days.

Oh, and don't forget Benchmade's experience. I'm told that the 42 is one of the strongest introductions they've ever done and with almost no publicity or effort. I'm told that at one point they were back ordered over 5000 pieces, a statistic in league with the first Axis lock.

Who says there isn't strong interest in balisongs? Who says that balisongs are just fleamarket cheapie toys for kids? Good balisongs are a strong market. I, for one, think Darrel is going to continue to do well with the Gemini.

Now, if you haven't notices, while he certainly does many true customs, Mr. Ralph also does a lot of what I call "catalog customs" where the basic design already exists and individual knives are built to order with unique customizations within reason and possibility. The Apogee is such a design. The basic Apogee design is fixed, but a wide range of custom tweaks are possible. The Gemini is going to become such a knife. I suspect that they're gonna sell well for a long time.

------------------
Chuck

I'm number one, I'm number one!

On the waiting list...
tongue.gif

Oh well, sat on my keister a day to long. Now, who's going to drop out, hmmmm?

At least I have more time to save up for it though.

[This message has been edited by afee (edited 08-30-2000).]

I feel that it would be wonderful if the other custom makers could add their taste to the balisong world.

Evidence shows that INDEED there is a market for them.

In today's market of POS selection, some of us strive on a good custom from the pros.

"Catch you on the flip side"!

Sabo 29

The Future of the GEMINI Balisong

Just off the phone with Darrel and here is the latest info:

(1) The GEMINI will be produced only as run of 25 serial numbers and a limited number of non-serial numbered knives for those who wish to order one of these knives.

(2) Once these knives are produced the GEMINI balisong will never be produced again. One run of knives and that is it for the GEMINI balisong.

(3) Darrel will continue to make balisong knives as one at a time customs down the road. Such a knife, even if it were available in the GEMINI pattern (it will not be!) would cost at least 100.00 more than the current GEMINI prices.

(4) The GEMINI customers are getting a very good price because of working together to come up with a limited number of options and giving Darrel enough knives to make in the run to better the economies of the project.

(5) There is still time to take advantage of the special GEMINI pricing for those who wish to order a non-serial numbered GEMINI.

(6) This opportunity will definitely be gone prior to the prototypes being released and possibly much sooner as Darrel is willing only to make a limited number of non serial numbered GEMINI knives for those who want one and/or want one and to be added to the serial numbered GEMINI waiting list.

So - the future of the GEMINI? The value of these knives will go up immediately upon receipt of them in Darrel educated opinion.

Darrel is working hard on the drawings as I write this
smile.gif

Kevin

------------------
Kevin Pensinger
The EDGE Equipment

CHA-CHING! $$$

Good Luck D!

[This message has been edited by Sabo (edited 08-30-2000).]

I wonder if I should charge people to become part of my set... I could keep 9A for myself and sell B, C, etc...
wink.gif

The interesting thing about sets that are sublettered is that they really need to be kept together to keep their value. A broken set or an odd piece are not worth as much. Belive it or not, as collectibles, 26A, 26B, and 26C sold separately are usually worth substantially less than they would be if they were kept together as a set.

Recently, my younger brother was married. In the course of various wedding-related discussions, someone asked my older brother if he ever did complete his wedding silver set. You see, he didn't get all of the pieces at the time of the wedding. He explained that his father-in-law is an avid eBay shopper and that not only has he completed the set, but they now have complete service for 18. You see, service for 18 would be very expensive if you bought it together. Even a single complete place setting is expensive. But, a single fork or a single knife or an odd spoon is often just a few dollars. It seems that my brother's father-in-law has assembled place settings for as little as $12. A complete place setting of stuff is worth about $200.

There's a special magic to sets. That's one of the reasons I wanted to see them as an option in the Gemini project. Those of you who took advantage of that option are going to get something extra special.

------------------
Chuck

Guys,

On that subject,

If you have a knife (or set) ordered at this time and have your serial number locked in you can add knives to the set. I will of course want you to

1)Let me know which knife in the set should be A,B,C,D etc. if there are any differences in the knives

2)You need to make this decision prior to the 30 days after prototype deadline so that appropriate materials can be obtained to make your knives

3) A deposit of 100.00 per additional knife is all that is required at this time

Hope this helps,

Kevin

------------------
Kevin Pensinger
The EDGE Equipment

Now that all the numbers are called for and you have received our deposits, when can we expect the prototypes? (ballpark it if need be).

Kind regards,

Sabo 29

First, while I haven't talked to Mr. Ralph about it yet, I recall that the members of a set must be identical. That's what make's 'em a set.

Second, Mr. Ralph has been working on the prototypes even before sales began. They were not contingent on sales. In fact, we did not expect this edition to sell out quite so quickly.

Mr. Ralph is well underway and has already produced some excellent work. He'll show it to you when he's ready. Why not now? Well, because it's not very far along yet and we don't want to create expectations or biases when many aspects are still subject to change. If Mr. Ralph presented an early concept, someone might fall in love with some aspect of the design and then be rather disappointed if that feature got changed before the design was finalized. On the other hand, someone else might very much dislike that same feature and reject the design because of it. Even after that feature was changed, that person may still be biased against the design.

When Mr. Ralph feels that the design is stable enough, he'll present some works for you to look at and comment on.

When? Well, the current plan is about end of the year.

I want to restate to all of you who have placed orders that acquiring a custom knife is often a long process. There is only one Darrel Ralph and he makes just about every aspect of this knife himself to his own high standards and to the exact customer specifications. This is also not his only project. His work is very much in demand and he is a very busy man. Some of us will not receive our Gemini Balisongs until, perhaps, spring... spring of 2002.

Mr. Ralph will not be completing the knives in the order that they were ordered in. He will not be going in serial number order either. The order of completion will depend on complexity, material availability, and, frankly, Mr. Ralph's muse. And I don't what to hear any whinning.

------------------
Chuck

Remember, the most important aspect of what Mr. Gollnick said, "NO WHINNING!!!"
tongue.gif

Back